DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Yeah, it's in the welcome pack too, but it is not the only reason we keep at250. Just one of the big ones.
AMC is also in the AT200 package. That, BBCA and Hallmark were the reasons we originally signed up with the AT200 and not the AT120+ package.

Dish said , "Dish will make alternative high-value channels available to our customers as replacements". If AMC is dropped Just what might be those alternative high-value channels and at what costs? I miss the Voom channels yet, I thought the HD had good clarity.

cardinalrooter said:
Dish said , "Dish will make alternative high-value channels available to our customers as replacements". If AMC is dropped Just what might be those alternative high-value channels and at what costs? I miss the Voom channels yet, I thought the HD had good clarity.

It should be interesting to see what channels are put in place of Sundance, We, AMC, and IFC.

AMC is also in the AT200 package.

Sure, but dropping to at200 then adding encore isn't really a difference in price compared to the number of channels lost. same reason we did not go with at120. it really isn't a significant amount of savings compared to the significant amount of channels lost.

The Fat Man said:
Caught with their pants down on that one, considering IFC and Sundance are the only two channels of their kind.

I would guess that Dish may try something like Flix for Sundance Channel. I think I noticed some IFC films a while back on Flix and the Showtime Networks like The Safety Of Objects for example. XX/XY (which IFC has a site for) and Igby Goes Down (which also has a video site on IFC's site) will be on Flix. To me, Sundance is more like the old IFC.

I would also guess Starz Cinema for IFC.

Other contenders would probably be Epix Drive-In, RetroPlex, and IndiePlex. Otherwise, if Dish is not concerned about a "similar" channel, then they'll probably place any channel.

Again, only speculation, nothing official...Didn't Suddenlink have issues with AMC Networks recently?

Last edited:
We mustn't forget, this could all just be posturing by Dish, and nothing will come of it.
Since AMC is a major channel nowadays thanks to it's series, I would say you're right. Maybe a week or two down at the most. The Fox dispute ended up being just a blip when everything was said and done. But I sure don't want to miss Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead.

Where are all the people telling us how dish is doing us a favor and we should be glad they are doing this? Oh wait, these aren't sports channels or someone else's locals. They might actually watch these ones.

Mochuf said:
Since AMC is a major channel nowadays thanks to it's series, I would say you're right. Maybe a week or two down at the most. The Fox dispute ended up being just a blip when everything was said and done. But I sure don't want to miss Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead.

I agree that the series are unique to AMC. There are a lot of commercials in my opinion for movies. I also noticed that both AMC and We play CSI: Miami now.

Usually during disputes, Dish does not add new channels but instead uses channels already available. I wonder if Dish will possibly move the channels to the 390s and leave them there like they did with SoapNet at 253 [which I believe was 188] An alternative to We is difficult to find as Style, OWN, E!, Lifetime, LMN, Hallmark (which airs Golden Girls and Fraiser), etc. are in AT 200 or lower.

The only women's channel I can think of that Dish does not carry is Lifetime Real Women.

Last edited:
Let's face facts...this matter IS all about their ongoing dispute with Voom/Rainbow Media/Cablevision. With Judge Lowe removing the stay this week (appeal), both parties are headed back to court on May 15th to continue previously disrupted discussions about a Jury Trail. Like it or not, Dish customers will most likely be paying for VOOM HD, without the benefit of actually having any of those channels in the lineup. To me, it's all matter of how much Dish is going to paying Voom to settle this case.

AMC is showing new Mad Men episodes now so this would be a huge loss around here.

The possibility that they are removed won't occur until the end of June, Mad men will be over by then.

Unless AMC has some original programming during the summer, this will not be a big loss until their original programming returns in the fall.

gpollock87 said:

How many alternative high-value channels are left for Dish to air? Sounds like a croc of crap from Dish. Still waiting for the new local Weather Channel update that was publicized two years ago when Dish & The Weather Channel locked horns. BTW, The Weather Channel is a croc of crap, Al Stroker & all

Just when I thought that Dish was done being the leader in dropped channels... As much as I love their hardware, the hell's the point if it doesn't even have the channels I want to watch?

Like it or not, Dish customers will most likely be paying for VOOM HD, without the benefit of actually having any of those channels in the lineup. To me, it's all matter of how much Dish is going to paying Voom to settle this case.

I thought it was a miracle when AMC HD even appeared on Dish; it was also surprising how it was on Dish before DirecTV considering the whole Voom issue.

I never got to see the Voom channels. I do not get why the deal went sour, but these seemed to be exclusive to Dish and Cablevision. This gave Dish more exclusive channels; why would Dish not want them? Was it to make room for other " standard" HD channels like the Viacom ones that came later?

Is Voom still available internationally? I would have loved to have seen Monsters HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)