DISH drops price of HD receivers!

Dish will eventually have to swap out all HD users with mpeg2 boxes.

Might as well keep lowering the price to maximize the $$$ sucked out of the customer.

Hmmm. I guess Charlie is REALLy anxious to get that Mpeg2 HD bandwidth back... This is the way to do it.

This is a good sign that their manufacturing capacity is up to the challenge. You only drop the price when you want to increase demand to soak up excess supply....

This may also placate the whales who have 5 HDTVs in their houses. It will be easier to stomach the upgrade fees now....

roachxp said:
The Westinghouse LVM42w2 has HDMI 1.3 and has been out for about 2 months.

uh... doubt it... someone may claim it supports the 1.3 spec, but that spec may not even be finalized yet (or, if it is, that just happened recently). http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060103.asp mentions having the spec ready by mid-2006, so I don't see how a TV could have a functioning HDMI 1.3 interface before the spec was even finalized.
So, no HDMI 1.3 yet, and no reason to expect any 1080P ESPN (or any other network) any time soon. So, why muddy the waters with unfounded rumor or speculation?

Tech Chat is Monday. I'm guess they need to update their website if the Mar. 13th is the date shown on the site..... Next Chuckie Chat will be in June....

Due to the price drop, I was wondering about so call "upgrade program" for owned box option, I decided to give Dish a call (not I have any more interests to that option anymore given the new pricing). I call the special number and being told: "The upgrade to lease was still the same as it announced. For "owned" option, there is $699 per box plus $99 installation fee! Then, you get $200 credit on the bill for 921/942 that is returned." So, basically, Dish is not courage the exsiting "owner" to upgrade, just go out to buy the 622 for $499 which is essentially the same price after rebate, minus lease obligation, plus I might still get few dollars back by selling 921/942.

griz_fan said:
Are you sure? Would you care to cite some sources on this? AFIK, BRDVD hasn't hit the store shelves yet (unless I missed something), and even when it does, it probably won't support HDMI 1.3 (see http://www.guidetohometheater.com/news/020506hdmi/ for details).

As far as ESPN 1080P is concerned, I heard some rumors of this a couple of years ago. More specifically, word was that ESPN purchased some 1080P cameras. But, as far as any broadcasts in 1080P? Not going to happen any time soon.

I was on a tour of HDNet's facilities a couple of weeks ago and the subject of 1080p came up with their tech guys. They said the same as above. ESPN bought a camera or two and were trying things out in a studio. However, nobody has the bandwidth to broadcast 1080p, so the tech guys thought it would be 5 years minimum before the first actual test broadcast of a 1080p stream. They also noted that everybody in the business is so cash strapped after the conversion to HD, they won't be very excited about dumping their investment in the near term to buy into 1080p hardware and technology. In other words, 1080p, don't hold your breath while waiting.

hdtvtechno said:
Who says it wont be :rolleyes:
ESPN released an Press Release a while back about upgrading to 1080p in the future

Well you will never see it on E*, they do not even do full bandwidth 1080i
If anyone can do it it will be Verizon FIOS.

Hmm, makes you wonder why the price drop this sudden. If they do reduce the price of the 622 anymore such as $399 then they would have to reduce the price of the 625 to $299 or less in order to keep them selling unless they want to make the price of the 622 cheap enough to where it would be the replacement of the 625 and not sell the 625's anymore.

I think that is the point. They want to get MPEG4 receivers out there as soon as possible.

E* (Charlie) did say their MPEG-4 rollout will be a "measured response". Lets see...E* had a profitable 4th quarter, apparently won the Lifetime/OLN disputes, successfully brought E10 online, continued to add subscribers and (based on D*'s results) appear to have reduced customer churn. It seems like there is enough money in the coffers to subsidize a more rapid deployment of MPEG-4 receivers based on these results (Tivo verdict is a non factor at this time). Let's just hope we'll see another 10-12 HD channels added to the DishHD lineup this year. Remember: Charlie did say that DishHD was going to remain #1 in HD (on this note, I doubt we'll see the entire VOOM lineup being licensed to cable/satellite) and you need paying customers to foot the bills....not gonna get customers without making the hardware at least somewhat affordable for the millions of HDTVs being sold this year.

Dish Network may come out with a whole home networking product later this year, but I think their bread and butter will be the 622/211 receivers over the next year. Personally speaking, I would like to see E* focus on bring cheaper Pocketdish products, and USB supported devices in the coming months....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)