Dish Duo Modulator Setup - Multiple Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jmrank

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Northeast Wisconsin
Hey everyone... I have two Dish Duo DVRs (622/722), and recently realized that I can send the TV1 output back "through the network" on a different channel (modulator setup), so that I can watch either TV1 or TV2 on the set designated as TV2 just by changing the channel. What I'm wondering is, can it be wired in such a way that I can watch from either box on a particular set?

Some details (hopefully clarification):
Upstairs box, TV1=channel 82, TV2=channel 80
Downstairs box, TV1=channel 75, TV2=channel 73
All set to Cable

Can the two be split/combined/etc somehow so that a TV2 set can tune to any of those four channels (73/75/80/82) to see what's on that tuner?

Thanks in advance!

Yes it can be done. Seeing you are asking this question I think you should consult a good technician who can view your house to make suggestions/do the job.

Your OTA channels can also be incorporated into that same stream, just select the agile modulator channels so they are in gaps in your OTA frequencies (3-5 channel span).

You need to run off the vhf/uhf ports into a 2 way splitter off both diplexers. You will now have 4 outputs for 2 receivers, essentially 1 per tuner. Then take 2 more splitters, and run 1 line off of EACH of your first pair of splitters into the 2 "outputs" on the 2nd set. Then connect your existing tv2 lines back into the "input" port of your 2nd set of splitters, which will now carry all 4 tv's thru 1 line back to your tv2's.

Keep in mind you will now need 4 remotes at each tv2 location, 1 per tuner, per receiver. I don't know if it's worth all the trouble, but it can be done.

So in order to do it, you need two physical wires running to each wall jack? Am I reading that right?

If I can't do it with the existing wires in the wall, then it's probably not worth it. If it were a matter of just rewiring where they all come together, I might be willing to tackle it.

It looks to me like (unlike with cable TV), there's not just one "network" of cables... there appear to be two distinct setups, each with their own wire coming directly from the dish. I'm assuming you can't combine those two incoming satellite signals together (otherwise why would they be separated to begin with?).

No.

1 to each wall jack. The other connections can be made where the rest of the system is wired from. Its easiest if there is a central location where all the lines are terminated.

It really depends how the house and dish system wiring is set up.

Okay, satnewb... I tried to understand, and I couldn't... until I drew a picture. Now it seems very simple, you're using the "second set" of splitters as "combiners." I'd like to share my pictures and ask that you check my work, if you could be so kind...

The first picture is the current setup. The second has the unimportant pieces removed (basically the whole bottom half), with the four splitters added. Basically the first two split the signal into two wires, and the second (bottom) two combine them back together.

Is that right?

Attachments

• dish_current.jpg
    dish_current.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 383
  • dish_new.jpg
    dish_new.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 263
The combining of distribution signals CANNOT happen between the diplexers. It must happen on the dish side of the first diplexers or you'll be combining the two satellite feeds as well and that WON'T work.

Is your goal to send the signals to unserved TVs or just swap the signals between TVs that are already hooked up?

What needs to happen is that you need a combiner between the two diplexer AIR outputs and that will be your four-channel signal. How you get that to your TVs is another issue entirely.

He does have them combined off the vhf sides of the diplexers. The sat signal is going to the receivers off the diplexer, they're just omitted from the 2nd picture. He's "combining" with backwards splitters. His diagram is correct.

Thank you very much... works like a charm!

In the interest of completeness, here's what I actually did: I just wanted TV2 for the 622 (which is split into about four different places) to have the ability to see all four tuners, which it now does.

The reason it was confusing (and probably still is) is because I didn't put the input/outputs of the diplexer in the right place... you have to look at the labels.

Dish Network Setup.jpg

Last edited:
The combining of distribution signals CANNOT happen between the diplexers. It must happen on the dish side of the first diplexers or you'll be combining the two satellite feeds as well and that WON'T work.

Is your goal to send the signals to unserved TVs or just swap the signals between TVs that are already hooked up?

What needs to happen is that you need a combiner between the two diplexer AIR outputs and that will be your four-channel signal. How you get that to your TVs is another issue entirely.

Looking at the picture, he omitted the TV1/rcvrs from the picture on purpose. Maybe rcrvs should be where the dish is. At any rate, I believe he understood that the split comes after the diplexer on the UHF/VHF port, not the SAT IN/OUT port. I think its great that he put it down on paper to get it figured out. More people ought to do that at least.

Looking at the picture, he omitted the TV1/rcvrs from the picture on purpose. Maybe rcrvs should be where the dish is. At any rate, I believe he understood that the split comes after the diplexer on the UHF/VHF port, not the SAT IN/OUT port. I think its great that he put it down on paper to get it figured out. More people ought to do that at least.
There isn't a clear connection between the two diagrams. The second diagram should have incorporated the first so that those following the thread don't need to contemplate some not-so-obvious assumptions.

Depending on the ultimate goal, I think you might be able to substitute a simple jumper on the dish end diplexers for the combiner matrix and use a single splitter at the receiver end.

Wow, tough crowd!

The goal was to have either one or both "TV2" set(s) have the ability to see all four tuners. In the end, it was more important on one particular "TV2," so I only did half of it, per the single image with "old/new" on the later post.

Agreed that I probably should have put all the pieces on both original pictures (or more likely, just not include the receivers themselves on the first), but in the end, the pictures are correct if you look at the "labels" on the diplexer, and it's working the way I wanted it to. So... win!

Now I see where there could be confusion. The boxes labelled "TV2 - 622" are the TV sets... not the inputs on the receiver! "To Wall" goes to the receiver.

Harshness is a very appropriate alias for his personality :p .

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)