Dish Dvr (522) Question

orfindel

Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Hello,

I recently had my first satellite dish installed with a (single) DISHDVR522 receiver. The installer told me that the single receiver will allow me to control two televisions independently (i.e. HBO on TV1, DISCOVER on TV2).

During the installation, I only had 1 television in the house (in the living room) so the installer told me that when I get my second TV, just plug it into the cable jack in my bedroom, switch to channel 60 and everything should work. (In this setup, TV1 is in the living room, and TV2 is in the bedroom. I have 2 remote controls)

Last night I put a television in my bedroom (TV2), connected it to the cable jack, turned it to channel 60, but nothing happened (except the typical random noise). I went back to TV1, which is where the receiver is, went through the modular setup and verified that TV2 was setup for "Air" and channel 60. I also verified that the blue light (for TV2) was illuminated on the receiver.

So although everything appears to be connected correctly, it doesn't work. The wiring setup is as follows:

1) From the attic, the satellite cable feeds into the INPUT of a D2100LX DIPLEXER (1 in, 2 out). One of the outputs goes to the living room (TV1); the other output goes to the bedroom (TV2). (Note, I am not positive about where these wires are going, this is what the installer told me during the installation). All I do know for certain is that TV1 works fine and TV2 doesnt.

2) There is a SINGLE cable coming into the living room (where TV1 and the receiver resides). The cable connects as follows:

From the wall the cable connects directly to the IN on a D2100 DIPLEXER. There are two outputs on the DIPLEXER. one for TV and the other for SAT.

-- The TV output (black cable) connects directly to the "CHANNEL 21-69 OUT" port on the receiver.

-- The SAT output (white cable) connects directly into the INPUT port of a DP PLUS SEPARATOR (123254). The separator has two output ports; one connects to SAT IN 1 and the other to SAT IN 2 on the receiver.

The "CH 3-4 OUT" port on the receiver is connected to the UHF/VHF port on the television and the "remote antenna" port on the receiver is connected to a small antenna.

Would any of you guru's happen to know what is wrong with my setup? I am really frustrated about this and would greatly appreciate any help/advise.

Thank you,

Jay

n0qcu said:
Make sure that your TV is set to "AIR" channel and not cable 60.

always a problem with the customer hooking up the tv later on after the install. the easiest way to fix it is to either go into the menu and change it to "air" , or, just let it run the channel scan

I went to the menu (on TV1) and ensured that TV2 out is set to "Air" and channel 60. I thought I had noted that in my original post. sorry

If you are asking for me to set TV2 to "Air", I do not see how that is possible without being able to get the reception first (it's just noise at the moment). I did however try to run the channel scan (good idea), but it didnt work.

Maybe you can go back to the menu and try setting it up to cable 73 and see if the second TV can scan to that.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I tried setting it to cable/73, to avail. Does the setup itself (in my original posting) sound correct?

The setup sounds correct but there could be a bad componet/cable between the receiver and the TV. Is the 2nd TV small enough where you can bring it to the receiver and hook it directly into the TV2 (channel 21-69 out) output on the receiver leaving the other cable just hanging (not connected). See if you can get the TV to work directly. If it does, disconnect it and reconnect the hanging wire go up to the attic and disconnect the wire going to the bedroom and connect the TV, this will verify everything between the receiver and the attic is working. If it works then suspect the cable/connection going to the bedroom.

Ya - prcasher is on the right track.

My first suspect is the wall plate in the bedroom. Assuming the installer did some kind of decent job, you should have good fittings on all the rest of the cable ends - including where he connected in the attic. So, either he tied to the wrong cable, or (likely) the end is bad in the bedroom.

I did as you guys had suggested, lo and behold the tech plugged in the wrong cable!! Everything is working great now! Thank you so much for the suggestions!! Now for one last quick question!!

As noted in the original posting, from the attic, the satellite cable feeds into the INPUT of a D2100LX DIPLEXER (1 in, 2 out). One of the outputs (O1) connects to a cable that goes to the living room (TV1); the other output (O2) connects to a cable that goes to the bedroom (TV2)."

Would it be possible to connect a splitter to the "O2" connector and then connect TV2 and the other 4 cable wires (for the other 4 rooms) so that all rooms (except TV1) can watch TV2? I figure that I could carry the remote control #2 around and watch "TV2" in any of the rooms that has a connection to the splitter. How does that sound? Is it safe? I wouldnt want to overload any connections or anything that would harm the system.

Thanks again for all your help,

Jay

Your multi-room idea works. Dish refers to that as mirror-imaging. There is a limit on how many rooms you can split off of from TV#2. The most I've been able to get, without a houseamp, is 4 from a 4-way splitter.

Glad you were able to trace down the problem. Very easy to mistake wiring. Even if everything is home-ran to a central area like the basement or attic.

orfindel said:
The "CH 3-4 OUT" port on the receiver is connected to the UHF/VHF port on the television ...
Assuming the 522 is placed near your TV1, and if your TV1 has A/V inputs, you should use the supplied S-video or A/V cable instead. This setup is sending mono sound to TV1 (TV2 gets MTS) and is the least desirable for PQ. Also, if you have a surround sound receiver I would highly recommend buying an optical cable to run sound through it instead of the TV.

orfindel said:
As noted in the original posting, from the attic, the satellite cable feeds into the INPUT of a D2100LX DIPLEXER (1 in, 2 out). One of the outputs (O1) connects to a cable that goes to the living room (TV1); the other output (O2) connects to a cable that goes to the bedroom (TV2)."
Huh? It's NOT input vs. output. No such thing with a diplexer. There's a "combined" side and a "separated" side.

Diplexers are used in pairs. You should see one at the back of your receiver with the UHF/VHF port going to TV2 RF, and the Sat port going to the Separator. The single-port (combined) side goes "away" - to the attic.

In the attic, the single-port side is going to the diplexer at the receiver. The Sat port is going to the dish, and the UHF/VHF side is used to feed TV2 elsewhere in the house.

And yes, you CAN hook a splitter to that port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts