Dish Dvr 622 Ota Problems

joeym82956

Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
I recently purchased a new DVR 622, I previously had a 942 I was able to receive UHF HD channels 22 32 34 and 57 the installer came and put in the new 622 and now I am only able to receive 22. Channels 32 34 and 57 have ZERO for signal, this was a straight swap out any ideas what could have happened?

Seems silly, but make sure he connected the OTA antenna into the correct input! There have been several reports where it was incorrectly connected to the UHF antenna input for the remote control! In that case the remote will likely still work (from short range anyway) and the stronger UHF channels might still find their way to the tuner.

I also have the 622. This model reportedly has a superior OTA tuner vs. other receivers, but IMO it is not as good as the tuner in my TV, and only about comparable to that in the 811 it replaced. Also, the OTA tuner in the 622 is digital only. I know you said your UHF channels are HD, but to be sure the 622 won't receive any analog signals as the earlier tuners did, just FYI.

Welcome, BTW...

I did check to make sure it was in the correct Antenna port and not the UHF or Home distribution. I am actually having having this problem with two receivers and two different locations. I installed a 622 at my home in the same town with no problems. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm assuming that the antenna didn't move right? Sometimes slight movements can cause loss. You might want to repeak it. Also, is this a powered antenna? Maybe it is unplugged?

I have an 811 now but will upgrade soon to a 622. I have an outdoor antenna mounted to the dish and it sucks! I got a cheap rabbit ears RCA from Home Depot and its 10X better but it has a rotary knob for fine tuning. If I scan for locals and that knob is in the wrong place it only picks up 3. So I have to keep rotating the knob and re-scanning till it gets them all and it will. When I upgrade to the 622 the outdoor antenna is coming down.

gdarwin said:
Does the antenna have an amp installed? The 942 would power the amp.

Yes these are digital UHF I am trying to tune for not VHF. The antenna is a Winegard Sensar II I had it plugged straight into the 942.

Last edited:
My situation is similar to Joeym82956's. I have had a 942 for a little more than a year with great OTA reception using the powered antenna provided orginally by VOOM. My 622 was installed three days ago and both the 942 and 622 are activated. The 942 receives 21 OTA digital channels. If I remove the OTA antenna cable from the 942 and connect it to the 622 and scan for local channels I get 11 channels. There are at least two digital subchannels for each local channel (for example 6-1 and 6-2). The signal strength on the 622 is a few points lower than the 942 on 6-1 and 6-2, a few points higher on 7-1 and 7-2 but about 14 points lower on 8-1 and 8-2 and 40 points lower on 15-1 and 15-2. Channel 54 has four subchannels which the 942 receives and the 622 does not see at all. The only variable is the receiver. Does the 622 provide power through the OTA antenna connector like the 942 does? I called tech support this morning to ask about the OTA receiver in the 622 and had a very unsatisfactory and frustrating talk with some woman there. She had no answers and was quite defensive and would not transfer me to her supervisor. I'm sure a better antenna would improve reception but why is that necessary for the 622 but not the 942?

Both are going to have to find an inline power supply for the antennas. The Winegard needs 12V at 85ma.

gdarwin said:
Both are going to have to find an inline power supply for the antennas. The Winegard needs 12V at 85ma.

Does anyone have any recommendations I can not find anything easily.

I searched the forums and did a Google search and found many recommendations for the Winegard PS-9370. I ordered one this morning for $21.62 plus shipping from Willyselectronics.com but obviously have no personal experience with it yet. Many other sources and brands are available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)