Dish DVR fee

Dish's 4.98 DVR fee is still a better deal than Tivo's 12.99 fee. Never had to pay to record on a VCR? Must have been shopliftin' tapes when they were 10 bucks for a 2 hour EP. :)

I think that since Dish can afford to give us free DVR's and free dishes and installation, they should also provide free services and programming. Er wait, maybe the charges for the services and programming are how a for profit business can give away free hardware and labor.

griz_fan said:
All those software patches for the 522 don’t come cheap!

This post made me chuckle. Apparently, all these patches for the 522 must be cheaper than actually fixing the bugs right the first time. :) :)

griz_fan said:
All those software patches for the 522 don’t come cheap!
Nor are they cheap for the non-DVR models. If Dish didn't provide updates our subscription rates would be lower. The DVR receivers are not necessarily getting more updates than the non-DVR models. Going back to the end of 2003 with the introduction of the 811 and 921, it's really a mixed bag. (See the EKB Receiver Software Versions chart, click on the versions.) The no-fee 811 and 322 are near the top of the list. I admit that quantity is an overly simplistic measure but it's interesting to note that a fee does not seem to result in more attention.

Yeah, if dish would just leave the boxes working they couldn't pay morons to put glitched into the code...

Just think, if they didn't pay the douche's to break the DVR's, they could cut some of them loose, cut a lot of the CSR's loose, charge us the same amount (You'd pay the same to be happy), and make more money than they currently do...

tysonwetzel said:
think that since Dish can afford to give us free DVR's and free dishes and installation, they should also provide free services and programming. Er wait, maybe the charges for the services and programming are how a for profit business can give away free hardware and labor.

But note that you have to pay that fee, whether you get any Dish programming or not. I recently downgraded to SkyAngel only (which my father purchased a lifetime sub that he gave me a long time back). I still have to pay 2 DVR fees and 1 extra receiver fee. It annoys me, but I can't quit using my DVR and they have enough to record on two of them for our house, especially since SkyAngel got HGTV. :)

I don't like it, but I will agree with the "you can't go back" idea. I know DirectTV seemd to be just as expensive, as was the local cable company.

I should add that I got 2 501s shortly after they came out, but I was glad to pay the extra fee to get the size and new features on 2 522s about a year ago.

Brad

It would be nice if they offered their customers two choices. Basic service, that would allow you to use the basic capabilities built into the receiver itself (like a VCR), and Premium service that would add name-based recording, interactive features, and all that other frilly stuff.

That way, cheapskates like me would be happy with basic service, and the spendthrifts out there want all the extras would also be happy. Choice is good. Unfortunately, between Dish's new models and DirecTV's receivers, there is no choice, and that's bad.

Scott

Has anyone ever checked what the other guys charge --
TiVo charges $12.95/month.
D* charges $5.99/mo for their DVR.
E* is only $4.99/mo.

That would make E*'s DVR sercvice the lowest.
Now who is ripping off their customers for DVR service ??

Well... yes and no.

Tivo provides an EPG where you wouldn't have one and the most sophisticated software out there for this type of thing. It has always cost money for this service.

DirecTV uses the TiVo software which isn't free to DirecTV. Also DirecTV charges $5.99 per ACCOUNT. DirecTV has always charged for this service.

Dish network uses inferior software (though I find it acceptable) developed by Dish itself so it costs Dish R&D but no licensing fee like Tivo costs DirecTV. Dish charges per RECEIVER. So some one with three DVR receivers pay $15 a month to DirecTV's $6. On top of that, Dish did NOT charge for this service on any of their own receivers (the original Dishplayers were not Dish Receivers, they were Microsoft boxes with dish receivers built in) until some bean counter discovered how much more money they could make by charging for something that was a value added feature before setting Dish appart from all the other multi-channel carriers.

Dish's DVR fee is an unadulterated "because we can" fee.

See ya
Tony

Well...

SA TiVo units have to phone home to get listings.

D* TiVo boxes do not have to phone in but do get more detailed listings than regular D* boxes.

That leaves the one that isn't even a service.

But Then look at cable who is going to charge you

--THIS POST WAS MADE BY TNGTONY ---please forgive the error. When responding to this message I hit the "edit" button instead of the "quote" button I meant to hit. The original poster's post was deleted by my hand and totally inadvertantly! I cannot express how sorry I am that I did this. Please forgive my stupidity. I will endeavor not to let this happen again---Tony

Irrelevant. I an unmoved by what "other people do"

Dish had a free service. They decided, just because they can, they would tac on a fee.

I've said this before and I will follow through: If I ever have to pay a DVR fee to some one, it will NOT be to Dish EVER. Currently I have a 501 and a 721 which do not have DVR fees and I also subscribe to AEP. If a DVR fee ever pops up on my bill for any reason, (I reduce service or have to replace a box with one that is not exept from the "because we can fee" (2 boxes is $9.96/mo), then I will pay it to some one else! DirecTV, Time Warner or whomever. But it will never be to Dish! Why? Because they showed that they could do it for free and decided to charge for something for no other reason than they could.

As to the "first class ticket" argument, it does not apply. First class seats take up more room than coach. On an average 747 you can have 10 rows 10 accross coach seats. 1st class can only have about 5 rows 6 wide in the same space. There is a REAL tangible cost. You can only fit 30% the sardine...er..people into that area. Therefore the people in 1st class have to pay the lost oportunity cost. So without the premium 1st class seats should cost a minimum of 170% more just to break even. Then there is the higher level of service from beginning to end of the process. I've flown 1st class before and boy is it nice! Nicer lounges, waited on hand and foot. Included alcohol (sometimes), better meals, more choice in meals, sometimes more choice in entertaiment. It's not just a bigger chair! All this also costs more money. So that is a minimum of 200% economy. Then there is the supply and demand side of things. You have many, many less 1st class seats than exonomy. Most flights I go on, first class is full. So, with less supply, you have higher demand and the price is higher!

So anyway, you hopefully see what I mean. There is a reason for the higher price. With Dish and the DVR there is absolutely no reason. You get the same epg, you pay the same for the receiver. There is nothing other than R&D which should be built in to the price of the receiver that can be stated that this is the reason for the fee. The only thing they can point to is "because they can". Or, if you prefer, "because every one else does it and we know we can get away with it".

See ya
Tony

Here is the Reply I got from Dish eCare on the new Fee's. It seems that the phone line Fee is for the dual tuner and the DVR FEE is "because they can". New technology and new marketing strategy. "A Fee by another name".

Danny

"Thank you for your email. We do apologized if you were not informed initially of the additional charges associated with having a 942 model receiver. DISH Network’s DISH Video-On-Demand (DVOD) service fee of $4.98 allows viewers to skip commercials and other pre-recorded programming without videotape, as well as, pausing live TV, perform slow-motion instant replays, fast forward and fast reverse. The DISH Video-On-Demand’s tape less recording capabilities give viewers complete control of their television to watch what they want at their convenience, including network programs, pay-per-view movies, sports, news or special events. At this time, there are no plans for offering a lifetime or annual DISH Video-On-Demand fee. Customers with an active DISH Player-DVR 510, DISH Player-DVR 522, DISHDVR 921 and 942 model tuners will be charged DVR fees based on programming level (see below).

-America’s Everything Pak (America’s Top 180 with HBO,Showtime, Cinemax and Starz) – No Charge

-America’s Top 60, 120,180 DISH - $4.98 per tuner, per month

- Latino DOS MAX or Dish Latino - $4.98 per tuner, per month

Regarding the No Phone line fee of $4.99, this will be charged if the receiver does not remain connected to a phone line. The satellite receiver that was installed in your home is the first of its kind in the satellite industry. It has the ability to provide independent viewing of 2 different channels on separate TVs within the same home.

In order for you to have full use of all the exciting features this receiver has to offer, it must remain continuously connected to a working phone line. These features include Interactive TV services such as news, local weather, sports info, games, horoscopes, local theater listings and entertainment. It also includes our Online Customer Support Application that allows you to manage your account directly from the receiver, On-screen Caller ID and easy Pay-Per-View ordering by using your remote control.

We appreciate your email and we are always happy to be of service.

Sincerely,

Hernanie C.

DISH Network eCare"

I'd rather have a 501/508 then pay $5 for my 510 which is basically identical, with the exception of a larger hard drive.

I've been with Dish Network for way too long, and have been treated like crap from them.

Hopefully they do something good when it comes to the MPEG 4 switch, or else I'm finally going to bail on them.

Enough is enough.

Think of it this way:
Dish top 120 with locals and a 625
$42.99/mo + DVR Service Fee: $4.98/mo = $47.97/mo

DirecTV total choice with locals and DirecTV DVR
$41.99/mo + DVR Service Fee: 5.99/mo = $47.98

Local cable DVR charges: varies

So, what does this buy you? First, Both Dish and DirecTV now seem to have basically *free* hardware, in that there are no up front costs. With the 625, Dish gets the reciever back should you leave, not sure about DirecTV.
The Dish package works on two TV's, gives you DVR functionality for two TV's, and provides @100 hours of storage, compared to 70 hours for the DirecTV DVR. Both units are dual tuner, but I think only the 625 has two independent outputs. With DirecTV, you $5.99/mo DVR fee covers multiple DVR units, with Dish you will pay an additional DVR fee and an additional reciever fee. With D*, you're already covered on the DVR fee, but would have to purchase the hardware.
So, from what I can see, for a one or two TV setup, it is essentially a wash. If you want a 2nd DVR unit, D* starts to pull into the lead, but with Dish, you may not need a 2nd unit due to its larger storage capacity and ability to drive two TVs.
In the end, I fail to see why some people get all bent out of shape over the DVR fee. In the current market place, EVERYONE CHARGES A DVR FEE! There may be differences in how they are structured, but you will pay a monthly fee for DVR functionality, unless you're willing to roll your own with a home theater PC (which avoids the monthly fee, but shifts costs to hardware, not a real savings, IMHO).
Some will point out that there are Dish recievers that do not incur a monthly fee. But, the hardware wasn't free, either. And, Dish has now moved their DVR business model over to the recuring monthly, so talking about the no-fee DVR is a moot point (Besides, were you to pick up a 508 on eBay for say, $175 shipped, it wouldn't be until the last month of the THIRD YEAR before you would begin to realize your monthly savings).
So, to sum it up: quit yer flippin' whining! Sheesh! Do a little research, this ain't rocket science, if you don't like the monthly fee, go back to using a VCR!

:deadhorse

mpeg 4 will obsolete existing boxes eventually so fees can be for everyone:(

There should be a lifetime fee, its in the providers best interest, encouraging one to stay a customer.

drop service lose free service...

If my 510 would have been free, I probably wouldn't be complaining, but I had to pay about $150 to switch to a Dish 500 with the 510. So in the end, a $5 fee is extra money that could be used for something else.

I guess the fact that I've been with Dish since they started out doesn't mean sh*t to them. I also referred 5 different families (who all still subscribe) to the system. Did I get anything from that? Of course not.

Pepper said:
The DVR fee is extremely simple: For each DVR-510, 522, 625, 921 or 942 active on the account, the fee is charged. Why? Because they can. There is no other logical or reasonable explanation.

- Does it have anything to do with DVR capability? No - Although all the receivers that have the fee are DVRs, the 501, 508 and 721 don't have the fee.

- Does it have anything to do with hard drive size? No - the 721 and 522 have same size drives)

- Is it to cover extended (Name-based-recording) or dual-tuner capabilities? No, and No - the 510 doesn't have either, the 721 and 921 don't have NBR, and the 501 and 508 most likely WILL have NBR if and when the 510 gets it.

- Is it to line the pockets of E* stockholders or to help cover expenses (software development or maybe to fund a future legal settlement with Tivo)? Most likely the real purpose of the fee is something in this category.

Some may argue the morality of charging a "because you can" fee, but to me it is worth it. It worked out to a wash for me because before I got the 522, I had two separate receivers with a $5 additional receiver fee on the second; now I only have the one with a $5 DVR fee.

* Note, none of this applies to the $10 Personal TV fee that is/was applied to the 7100/7200 DishPlayer units, part of it at least was for licensing fees to Microsoft for the software.

I wonder if someone called DISH and said that since they are paying for a DVR FEE then the DVR should work at stated by DISH otherwise they want their money back from:

a. lack of support
b. buggy or non-functioning software
c. features not fully implemented or never implemented at all

I wonder what dish would say... ?? Why should somone pay a fee for something that doesn't work or works like sh*t?

I wonder about starting my own websites (like Dish has) boycotting the DVR fee or taking out newspaper ads? I wonder how they would respond?

griz_fan (edited) said:
First, Dish incurs a cost with developing and maintaining DVR functionality. All those software patches for the 522 don’t come cheap! Also, Dish needs to recoup their expenses for basically giving away the hardware. Since DVR receivers have features above and beyond the basic functionality of receiving and displaying a satellite signal, Dish has decided to charge for that extra feature in the form of a monthly charge, as apposed to an up-front cost.

Granted. Very good point. *BUT*, in paying that fee the DVR should work as promised or fixed or refund my money.

If I purchase xyz product and it doesn't work I take it back to the store and get my money back or I cancel the transaction with the credit card company if the place of business doesn't or will not work with me.

I spent $1000+ for two 721's... (granted I'm not paying the DVR fee) with the promise of NBR. I'm still waiting ... and forever will (bite me Charlie!). If I had to pay the SOB fee for the dvr software it had better darn well work.

Simply put, there are costs for Dish to provide DVR functionality. There is also a demand for this feature. Since Dish is in business to make money, they will charge as much as they think they can get away with. If they overcharge, they’ll loose customers to DirecTV or the local cable companies. Simple. Basic economic principles will keep pricing in line.

Again agreed. But if xyz product doesn't work as stated/promised/or whatever, I want my money back. I am sick or crappy upgrades in my dvr software that limits even more what I can or can not do.

:)

I spent $1000+ for two 721's... (granted I'm not paying the DVR fee)
I spent $1000 for ONE 921 wth the promise of DishWire, I AM paying the DVR fee, and now I'm gonna be taking it up where the sun don't shine over the MPEG-4 conversion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts