Dish DVR Survey, Pay for reserved space.

tlbrewer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Got a survey from E* the other day asking if I would be willing to pay to access the reserved space on my DVR harddrive. Anyone else get one of these?

I didn't get it, but it is interesting. Kind of pointless with external storage on the horizon though.

Sounds like a roundabout way of admitting that "On Demand" is a bunch of crap nobody will pay for, and trying to recoup "their" money a different way.

Might be worth a (one-time) fee just to not have to hit the DVR button an extra time to get to my recordings.

How's about they give us a discount on the bill for keeping Dish VOD, but if we want the extra space we lose the discount. Too good of an idea huh? They want the extra $$ from our pocket, but I would be willing to pay a one-time charge of $5.

Don't give them any ideas. They might raise our bills by $10 and give us your discount at $5.

Let Dish spend money on the VOD technology all they want. When it gets soooo little usage, they might realize it's not cost-effective to offer.

as long as it costs more than a PPV, and auto deletes itself (remember if you record PPV you can keep indefinitely), it is less than useless to me, and probably to anybody that thinks about it.

I paid for my DVR's so I think I should be able to have access to that extra space and should be able to decide what is done to the space on my own hard drive. I dont think its right to have to pay Dish Network extra for something I already paid for. That is just like telling me that I have to pay extra to use the different ports on the receiver or if I had a car, that I would have to pay money to use the rims or the mirrors, its CRAZY.

Now if I was leasing the DVR and didn't have to pay all that money upfront for one then that would be different, a monthly fee would be alright in that sense.

as long as it costs more than a PPV, and auto deletes itself (remember if you record PPV you can keep indefinitely), it is less than useless to me, and probably to anybody that thinks about it.

My thoughts exactly! I actually went through what they had to offer the other day and quickly exited to the PPV portion of the guide since I just received 5 free PPV coupons from ClubDish.

If there was HD material I'd be much more likely to check it out.

Shhh! I don't want to lose any more space on my DVR! :shh

If Dish is to have any chance of me buying a VoD program the price can't be any more than 99 cents. That's about the max cost for impulse viewing. Frankly I find the current cost of $4.99 to be insulting.

VOD doesn't even seem to work, anyway. A week ago I had something like 15 choices available, and none the last few days.

I suppose there is a convenience factor in having more space in one seamless unit, vice USB. And I'll bet a large majority of customers will never "fool with" external USB storage.

Did they indicate it would be a one time fee or monthly? Or were they asking about both ways?

I wonder if Dish can tell how full our DVRs are, on average? I'd think that would be valuable knowledge for them in determining future DVR sizes.

Well mine is constantly at around 1 hour (HD) more or less free space available, so I need either this or external storage. Ack!

Does anyone know what effect it has on the hard drive to be constantly overwriting the same space with new VOD content? If this were known to cause premature disk failure, I'll bet they would sing a different tune!

The simple solution would be to provide an option in the software to use the reserve space for VOD, or for more storage. The user would be warned by selecting the latter that they would not be able to use the VOD feature of their DVR.

I too bought my 625 and have no intention of paying extra to use something that's already in it. If they want to cap me at half of the drive's capacity, so be it. But it further reminds me of the nickel and dime way they are trying to extract revenue from customers, and they should be aware that many people have other choices.

sigmtr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts