Dish DVR vs. Comcast DVR

KingsFan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 4, 2005
It looks like I'll be temporarily moving from Dish to Comcast while on an extended business assignment.

How does the Comcast DVR service (with the latest box 6412?) compare to the Dish DVR service (721/921)? What am I going to miss, what Comcast feature will I love?

One thing that looks cool on Comcast is the VOD features. Can you record any of the VOD shows to the DVR?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I have compared my parents Moto 6412 with my SA8300HD HDV, but you cannot compare either model to a 942; it's like trying to compare a Yugo to a Mercedes or, in our case, DBSTalk to SatelliteGuys - totally outclassed IMO.

You cannot record the VOD shows onto the HD.

I moved from the 921 to the 6412 and it's o.k. It takes a while getting used to the different feel.

Unless you want to keep a VOD forever, there is no reason to record it to the hard drive, you can watch it anytime, for a period of time.

We've had both a 721 and Comcast Dual-tuner DVR for almost a year (started with single tuner... they let me switch it out when dual tuner bnecame avail.). My opinions: The Moto is not as intuitive. It is somewhat clunky compared to the 721. Switching tuners is done with one button (you must program the button yourself). The GUI can be one of several color choices. It can record HD programming, which, in my area, is free with digital cable. Both boxes get somewhat warm. Both make harddrive sounds, even when 'off'. The Moto guide and search feature aren't as straight-forward, to me.
That's all I can think of right now. You won't likely be dissappointed with the Moto... it's just different than the 721, as you will soon see.
Take Care.

Oh, I almost forgot this...
Sometimes when you press a button on the Moto, there is a delay. Then you end up doing things you didn't intend to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)