Dish/Echostar satellite launches in 2009?

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Does Dish/Echostar or a partner have any launches planned for 2009?

I know about Echostar 13 this fall to replace that dying bird at 129 as well as the AMC-14 oops earlier this year. (Echostar 11 is now in place!)

launch schedule - the most comprehensive list of future launches on the web

I don't see anything listed for next year. Does anyone know if I'm overlooking something?

Thanks and apologies if this has already been asked.

Ciel 2 should launch this year (is that what you are calling EchoStar 13). The satellite will include spot beams.

There are several 17/24GHz satellites that Dish/EchoStar need to launch by 2009 (unless I missed some kind of an extension). The orbital locations are 83, 109 and 121. This would be the first of the 17/24GHz satellites.

In 2010, there is EchoStar 14 and 15.

Last edited:
Ciel 2 should launch this year (is that what you are calling EchoStar 13). The satellite will include spot beams.

There are several 17/24GHz satellites that Dish/EchoStar need to launch by 2009 (unless I missed some kind of an extension). The orbital locations are 83, 109 and 121. This would be the first of the 17/24GHz satellites.

In 2010, there is EchoStar 14 and 15.

Ciel 2 stands by itself.

If I recall correctly E13 is the S band Chinese satellite that had technical design problems and was scrubbed. It is sitting in a warehouse while Echostar tries to figue out if it can be salvaged.

They are pushing to try to get E14 up at the end of 2009 with E15 in 2010

They just got the 17Ghz licences so those are probably 2-4 years out.

Ciel 2 stands by itself.

If I recall correctly E13 is the S band Chinese satellite that had technical design problems and was scrubbed. It is sitting in a warehouse while Echostar tries to figue out if it can be salvaged.

They are pushing to try to get E14 up at the end of 2009 with E15 in 2010.

They have a joint parnership (lease) to use Ciel 2. So, many consider the satellite to be an expansion of the Dish/EchoStar capacity. Thus I included it here.

The S band satellite for service in China is CMBStar. I have never seen any filings to the FCC or SEC that would have called the satellite E*13. My last notes were - EchoStar has suspended construction of CMBStar in April 2008, sighting performance specifications that were not being met. Other uses for the partially completed S-band spacecraft are being considered..

Last edited:

Is this the Dish rough equivalent to the Ka band that DirecTv uses? What programming will go on the slot at 83?

Ka band is outside that frequency spectrum. Ku is under that spectrum.

Ka: uplink between 27.5GHz and 31Ghz, downlink: between 18.3 and 18.8Ghz and between 19.7 and 20.2Ghz

Ku: uplink between 14 to 14.5GHz, downlink: between 11.7 to 12.7GHz

So I'm not sure what they'll call this band. It's pretty close to Ka though, so maybe the specifications for Ka have been relaxed?

I believe in a recent financial report, Dish mentioned that the E-14 satellite had spotbeams and was scheduled to be deployed to 119 W. The limitation on it getting launched in 2009 will probably not be the satellite construction but launch vehicle availabilty. Sea Launch will have a limited launch schedule because of maintenance to its launch ships and there also appears to be production limitations as it now shares some resources with Land Launch.

Ka band is outside that frequency spectrum. Ku is under that spectrum.

Ka: uplink between 27.5GHz and 31Ghz, downlink: between 18.3 and 18.8Ghz and between 19.7 and 20.2Ghz

Ku: uplink between 14 to 14.5GHz, downlink: between 11.7 to 12.7GHz

So I'm not sure what they'll call this band. It's pretty close to Ka though, so maybe the specifications for Ka have been relaxed?

Sounds like you might be talking about the DBS Reverse Band. They'll be transmitting back down to Earth at the same frequencies typically reserved for the uplink side of DBS operations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts