Dish elavation 9.66 ----doable ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jenom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2006
at my location, sat angle calculator gave me 9.66 dish elevation for telstar 12 @15w
is this doable or it is just too low ?
thanks

it can be done. Hispasat for me in Minneapolis is around 9 elevation

you need a great line of site though

Attachments

• 000_0152.jpg
    000_0152.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 000_0153.jpg
    000_0153.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 183
I do 8-11 degrees all the time. The dishes are well aligned and line-of-sight is clear. One does pick up a little more noise at these elevations. I have had some success at 3 degrees, but there is vegetation and distant buildings very near that point. My biggest dishes can't see that low, and they would be better for this last case.

Is the line of sight clear?

I have 2 storey houses accross the street, about 100 ft distance,
my house is also 2 storey, and I can mount the dish somewhere beside the second level window
there is about 15 ft distance between the houses across the street, i should aim between them, because the high roof most likely would block the signal

This is my 90cm pointed at T12. Motor is not connected but using it to get the elevation down without the dish hitting the pole. Where the motor mounts to the pole is about 6ft high.

The last photo is from the top of the dish. Home is about 140 ~ ft away.

Attachments

• IMAGE_056.jpg
    IMAGE_056.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAGE_057.jpg
    IMAGE_057.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAGE_058.jpg
    IMAGE_058.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 158
spent some time on the ladder looking for a gap between the houses across...and looking at my dish angle where it would be pointing at 10 degrees...
it looks like the house roofs on the other side would be blocking my sight of line
well, it is way too hot anyways to be out in the sun on the top of the ladder
maybe in the fall, when it is cooler
Thanks for all the info, specially for Scott for the nice pictures (a picture worth a thousand of words, and you even posted 3 of them)

Its 3 degrees from the horizon here in New Orleans, so the neighbor's grass is too high ;) ...

I have never tried to hit a satellite that was lower than the upper teens in elevation. There are two- and three-story apartments nearby to my southeast, but I'm still able to hit Hispasat with no issues. 148w (R.I.P.) came in on the other side of the arc just over my rooftop.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)