dish elevation question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jlwolf

Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
I could use some help with a few questions concerning locating a satellite dish in really poor location. The azimuth and elevation angle for direct tv at my location are 131 degrees and 30 degrees. There is a hill south of my house, and its covered with trees. I removed all the trees I could on my property, which opened up a narrow southern view which will work for the azimuth. The elevation is a problem, because of the hill. The only way to get the angle right is to put the dish up in the air on a tower, at least 40 feet up. The tower has to be about 30 yards from the house in order to clear some tree branches. I can get a tower at no cost, but I'm wondering if:
1) Do I need some kind of signal booster because of the height and distance from the house?
2) Can I buy the dish and receiver somewhere and install it myself, since the company installers are to smart to climb towers?
3) Are there satellites from any provider at higher angles?

Arrrciate any help

Best thing to do is to call D* ISS (installation support) and ask for a second opinion. This will get you a visit from a lead tech or sup who can tell you for sure whether that is a good idea or not. Don't get your hopes up. 30 degrees of elevation isn't much. FIY: The "look angle" of our sats is 22.5 degrees. That means that if your elevation is 30, our signal is comming in 22.5 degrees higher and bouncing off the reflector to the lnb. This actually gives you 52.5 degrees. Mounting a dish 40 feet on a pole is never a good idea. How are you gonna peak the thing, lean a forty foot ladder on the pole? As soon as you get off the ladder, the pole straightens out. OOPS!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts