Dish Employment

scott5626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
I have a dish network interview next week, I was hoping I could get some insight as to what it's like working for Dish these days, I have read some horrible comments around the web and decided to ask you guys what you thought.

I really need a job, in this economy I'll take almost anything. I assumed working directly for Dish was somewhat better than working for a contractor...

The guy that did our permanent pole mount the other day was a contractor. He said he used to work for the Ohio Dish outfit, the went to Direct TV because the pay was better. He then became a Dish contractor and seemed happy with that. Sounded like more costs associated with being a contractor, but he said he could bring his kid along if he wanted. His daughter helped him bury the cable on our install. He seemed a lot happier than the company Dish tech that did the temp install.

I guess my question is are you going to be in a call center or out on the road putting systems in? Cause I don't think Dish does their own work for installs but instead have HSP's and RSP's with contractors also doing this work.

I wouldn't do this work - the install work if you can find something ANYTHING else I'd do it cause it just isn't worth it these days. Your best to ask this question if its for a installer job in the Installer Zone on these forums too!

The Installer position is directly for Dish. I am not currently an employee and don't even know if I will be, this is why I asked the question here.

Last edited:
There are installers that work directly for Dish aka DNS its just not that every area has a local DNS office. There are some areas that are handled mostly by RSPs/Subs and there are some areas that are handled more by DNS offices.

anyone whos interested in going in the laminating machine repair business let me know, as long as you arent real close to pittsburgh or charlotte i would be glad to help set you up.

lots of drivng around and tolerating dumb things people do.

labor rate of at least 100 bucks a hour GBC my large competitor just raised rates to $295.00 for first hour. its a niche business few repair them locally averager price $159.00 a hour. you would want to be under that

need to be personable dealing with people, a bit of a salesman, and basic mechanical ability. for anyone from the boards i will train you for free, and help set you up. i have repaired machines since 1975 and laminators since 1984

you wouldnt get rich but being self employeed has its perks

I've worked for them for 3 yrs. Loved it at first. Now there are so many rules it gets tedious. I love the work, meeting people, doing the installs. Just wish the company would treat their employees better.

I was emailed background check forms after the interview...I assume it's looking good.

Anyone know if DNS would bother much if an employee works with a local dish retailer as well?

Anyone know if DNS would bother much if an employee works with a local dish retailer as well?

I was thinking about that myself, there is a retailer that opened in my area, but I am almost positive, Dish would not allow this to happen, they would think that you are stealing things from DNS, ( cable, connectors, ect.) to use for your "other" job. Just my opinion!

I was thinking about that myself, there is a retailer that opened in my area, but I am almost positive, Dish would not allow this to happen, they would think that you are stealing things from DNS, ( cable, connectors, ect.) to use for your "other" job. Just my opinion!

No, you aren't allowed to. And it's not necessarily because they think you're stealing supplies, it's a simple conflict of interest situation. It would be the same in most any other company.

I was emailed background check forms after the interview...I assume it's looking good.

I'll be honest here , if you can find another job for close to if not the same pay I'd go for that. This work IMO sucks anymore and you can read all about it on the installer zone from the rest of us that do it.

Run away... run away fast!

if you want to know what the job conditions are like, find the 'installer zone' section of this website and read on....
i belive it can be found under cable tv/other.
its an extremely strict and contradictory company to work for, but in my opinion the pay is good. like any job, i would just say try it out. especially at the start, its gravy, you are getting paid for sitting in a classroom.
on the job training is not so bad either...and by the end of that you'll know if you can do it or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)