DISH Ending new MPEG 2 Receiver Activations

I wouldn't mind seeing a transition to all Hopper/Joey/Wally equipment someday. Hell, I would really like to see the Wally integrated into the Hopper setup a little better, so it can act as a Joey(get rid of all Joeys except Wireless) and integrate Wallys in their place. Deactivate the tuners while connected to the Hopper, but if the Hopper craps out, then there wouldn't be stalling software that prevents the tuners from working, leaving a redundant system. Never to happen, but something to think about.

When I used to install for Dish it was a 70% that users would be able to hit all 3 WA sats - 129 was always super hard to hit cause of the low horizon therefore tree's became an issue. The HD locals being on 129 and regular locals on 110 which was beyond stupid since EA was much easier to hit in 97% of the places I went to due to mountains, trees etc etc.. Why they did this or had those feeds on those sats is just again beyond stupid when they could have put them on EA and let techs start converting users over years ago.

Biggest reason why they are pushing hoppers on people is to prevent account stacking. My parents have a 722 at their home and a 722 at their business which 2 TV's at the home and 2 tv's at the business. If they were to upgrade to the hopper 3 they couldn't do this....I installed the dish at their business years ago and what they have is perfectly fine. They really need to allow accounts to use two Hopper3's if they are going to ever start pushing them regardless for redundancy.

Reactions: vcsatellite
Biggest reason why they are pushing hoppers on people is to prevent account stacking. My parents have a 722 at their home and a 722 at their business which 2 TV's at the home and 2 tv's at the business. If they were to upgrade to the hopper 3 they couldn't do this....I installed the dish at their business years ago and what they have is perfectly fine. They really need to allow accounts to use two Hopper3's if they are going to ever start pushing them regardless for redundancy.

Sure they could, Dish still allows two 211's on a Hopper account.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

They won't be going to all MPEG4 at WA anytime real soon, IMHO. This just ends the sale and exchange by July 1, and then "Activation to end later this year." IMHO this is more of a software cost issue. I mean, it is probably more economical to focus software engineers on MPEG 4 boxes only with even less staff and cost and monitoring of MPEG2 boxes. From what is stated in the press release, this will take some time. Now all those software coders going to the new building in downtown Denver can focus on MPEG4 and SlingTV and whatever new media box/streamer Dish may surprise us with. It makes sense to just stop supporting MPEG2 boxes.

FWIW, I think Dish should have the H3 as the ONLY box for all new subs and eventually have that be the standard/only box/system for all installs. Everyone would get the best Dish experience and it could result in less churn than ever and actually result in a net gain of subscribers.
Hopper does not work for everyone.
Many homes would require new coax to be installed. And as such, would piss off a bunch of people that do not want or do not need a bunch of new holes drilled into their house or inside of it.
For example. My home, which I cabled myself back in 1998 has 3Ghz swep tested RG-6 cable running to where I choose to have it. So let's say Dish does what you suggest and mandates all their subs have a Hopper/Joey system. The tech gets to my house and tells me that the cable I have is non spec( which can be "unapproved brand of cable) and he must install all new cable to satisfy his installation metrics and to avoid a QC failure. Basically told I would have to allow the tech to run new cable and abandon the perfectly good working existing cable. Nuh uh.....Not happening.
I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it".....And I despise change for the sake of change.

How much account stacking is there really?....And BTW, there are plenty of people who have weekend homes or RV's or Tractor Tra iler owner Operators where they have the ability to take one of their receivers with them on the road , to the RV resort or to their cabin at the lake. I installed lots of these in my days as a tech. Few of those people are going to accept having to pay for a second account so they can have TV for a short duration while out of town. Should Dish go down this road and not provide any allowances for those who fall into the above categories, there would be an exodus of people to Directv which still has many options for customers to go with the portable receivers.
If this Hopper only theory comes to fruition, I would be gone if Dish told me I had to have a second account for the RV....Ef THAT....

Reactions: pattykay
Some of us hate the new interface and already get the best Dish experience! MS can keep their W8 and W10, too. :p
* is tolerable. I cannot fathom W10.....I don't like it. So i avoid it. And I think MS realizes this and does not force W 10 on users.

I liked 8.1 more than some, but it was still too weird for me. I agree that losing the start menu in 8 had me consider Apple computers(I do Apple everything but computers as I think Microsoft got that one right). Thank god they saved it with 10 though. It's a solid OS in my opinion.

MPEG-2 NEW CUSTOMER SALES, ACTIVATION TO END LATER THIS YEAR

At DISH, we believe we produce the best technology in the pay-TV industry. In order to continue offering our customers the most advanced technology at the best price, we must continue not only to innovate, but also to recognize when it’s time to eliminate old technology from our portfolio.

As a result, DISH will end the sale and exchange of all MPEG-2 receivers beginning on July 1, 2016.

MPEG-2 receiver models:
? 311 ? 311k ? 322 ? 381 ? 811 ? 512 ? 625 ? 522
So, now you tell us this! I tried to reactivate a purchased 512 on May 5th, and Dish is already refusing to reactivate it, so they upgraded me to a purchased ViP612 at no cost. They let me keep the 512. So, are you saying that there is still time to get the 512 reactivated before July 1st if I want to reactivate it, and ask persistently?

Slowly working toward converting the WA to MPEG4? Maybe they can do it by turning off premium channels first, then those exclusive to AT250 and so on. I am sure it will take a number of years to complete. I am surprised it has taken them this long.
The conversion will probably be more haphazard than that, just like the 8PSK conversion was.

Hopper does not work for everyone.
Many homes would require new coax to be installed. And as such, would piss off a bunch of people that do not want or do not need a bunch of new holes drilled into their house or inside of it.
For example. My home, which I cabled myself back in 1998 has 3Ghz swep tested RG-6 cable running to where I choose to have it. So let's say Dish does what you suggest and mandates all their subs have a Hopper/Joey system. The tech gets to my house and tells me that the cable I have is non spec( which can be "unapproved brand of cable) and he must install all new cable to satisfy his installation metrics and to avoid a QC failure. Basically told I would have to allow the tech to run new cable and abandon the perfectly good working existing cable. Nuh uh.....Not happening.
I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it".....And I despise change for the sake of change.
Well put. Glad to see some people still have some smarts. I would indeed be like there is the door bye. This is exactly why myself and others choose in some scenarios exactly like this to buy and install our own equipment. The lease only freaks can shove it. Totally agree here. No way am I going to rewire a house when it has perfectly good rg6 and probably a well designed hub location since dishcomm did it. I'll just install myself how I want it in my own house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)