DISH Energizes Hopper Platform at CES!

Retailers around here get spot checked and better do everything just like DNS or it's a charge back.

About 2 years ago they checked a bunch of our installations. The only one we got dinged on was because one of the 3 receivers we installed there we used an existing 10ft piece of coax inside a wall that wasn't on the approved wire list.

Well that's true, Dish will go around checking but it's not as bad as it is for DNS techs. When a customer wants something done that Dish will not cover they just tell the customer to call a retailer and we can do it for them because we can take the responsibility.

I was thinking of skipping Team Summit this year but after finding out about all the new equipment I feel I need to go to learn more. I may treat it more like a vacation this time though and take my wife.

You were fortunate. Neither Directv nor Dish run more lines than necessary for a particular job. To do so would be considered waste.

It *is* waste. No one knows what might be needed in the future, if that homeowner will upgrade, or even remain a Dish customer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I imagine the builder would have done it as the cables all runs through my ceilings and walls to the other side of the home.

thanks. Looks like Super Joey will definitely be somewhere between $7 and $12 per month... Seems like $9 or $10 guesses would be about right.

Depending how DISH handles existing customers that want to upgrade a Joey to SJ ... the SJ seems really slick and a no brainer.

Since Vivek said in between, I think there's like an 80% chance it will be $10/Mo. Take for example the 612, it is $10/Mo for a single-TV dual-tuner HD DVR.

Since Vivek said in between, I think there's like an 80% chance it will be $10/Mo. Take for example the 612, it is $10/Mo for a single-TV dual-tuner HD DVR.

There is probably a lot of market surveys going on now to find out what the optimal pricing will be.

I'm for $7. $9 or $10 would be likely. A hopper and regular Joey is $5 a month more than a 722/211 with the $5 going to whole home functionality and newer UI etc at the expense of SD mirroring. But both solutions give 3 tuners. $5 more than that gets 2 hoppers and 3 more tuners. I can only record more programming, I can't watch more with SJ. JUST MY 2 cents.

The lady I spoke to at the DISH booth told me the SJ WOULD be $10/month...& she seemed VERY sure of that.
Sorry, but I think for most people they would be better off spending the extra $2 & springing for a 2nd Ho; you're getting a 3rd tuner & twice the storage space - not to mention if the (only) Ho craps out & you have NO TV service at all.

The lady I spoke to at the DISH booth told me the SJ WOULD be $10/month...& she seemed VERY sure of that.
Sorry, but I think for most people they would be better off spending the extra $2 & springing for a 2nd Ho; you're getting a 3rd tuner & twice the storage space - not to mention if the (only) Ho craps out & you have NO TV service at all.

This is the great thing about the Super Joey, you have another option to get more tuners than adding a second Hopper. Here is something most people are missing; If you are a new customer signing up for Dish and you want more than the 3 tuners one Hopper offers, you can get a second Hopper. (We already know this) What you are forgetting is that you would have to pay $199 for a second Hopper with Sling and $99 for a second regular Hopper. These prices will change on the 17th to $99 and $49 but you would still have to spend money up front along with $2 a month extra.

I love the fact that people will have the option to add 2 more tuners with full integration for $10. (Guessing) I do not know if there will be an upfront fee to get a Super Joey yet but I strongly doubt it.

Your logic is sound and I can agree with the advantages to that approach, but for me, I'd rather have two more fully integrated tuners while maintaining a single list of timers and recordings vs. dealing with the back and forth of having two Hoppers and sorting out which timer to which Hopper, etc.

I do not know if there will be an upfront fee to get a Super Joey yet but I strongly doubt it.

Really? I've actually been surprised that there hasn't been any more discussion of the upfront fee for an SJ. I just assumed there would be one of some sort being that A) it is new hardware, and B) This is Dish we're talking about. Has there ever been a new hardware release from Dish that was a free upgrade w/ no upfront fee, on day one, for existing customers?

Your logic is sound and I can agree with the advantages to that approach, but for me, I'd rather have two more fully integrated tuners while maintaining a single list of timers and recordings vs. dealing with the back and forth of having two Hoppers and sorting out which timer to which Hopper, etc.

Really? I've actually been surprised that there hasn't been any more discussion of the upfront fee for an SJ. I just assumed there would be one of some sort being that A) it is new hardware, and B) This is Dish we're talking about. Has there ever been a new hardware release from Dish that was a free upgrade w/ no upfront fee, on day one, for existing customers?

It's possible there will be a fee since it is new and Dish will take advantage of early adopters. Right now they do not charge for any equipment upfront except for a secondary, high end receiver like a 722, Hopper or Hopper with Sling. We won't know for sure for a while yet though.

What you are forgetting is that you would have to pay $199 for a second Hopper with Sling and $99 for a second regular Hopper. These prices will change on the 17th to $99 and $49 but you would still have to spend money up front along with $2 a month extra.

Well I personally know at least 1/2 dozen subs - including myself - that didn't pay ANYTHING for their 2nd Ho's, so (also) considering how many folks around here seem to be getting them FREE, makes that a moot point... ;)

I was also told the Super Joey will be $10/mo. Since I already have 2 HWS and I am not an installer I wrote off the SJ as not worth it for $2/mo savings.
i did talk to an engineer in the booth that was unaware of some of the EHD issues. I got his email and he said he would look into it when he returned home.
i got an Abbot and Costello routine on when other TV makers would be offering VJ. Dish said it, is up to the TV or box maker to create and provide the app. Samsung and Roku suggested Dish would have to provide the app for them to include on there hardware.
it seems to me that a wireless Super Joey would have been a smarter move, maybe something for next year.

How about a wireless Tri Node and an all wireless home after the node? That node would need to be gigabit wireless.

Well I personally know at least 1/2 dozen subs - including myself - that didn't pay ANYTHING for their 2nd Ho's, so (also) considering how many folks around here seem to be getting them FREE, makes that a moot point... ;)

You got it for free when you signed up as a new customer or when you upgraded? There's a big difference.

You got it for free when you signed up as a new customer or when you upgraded? There's a big difference.

BOTH ways, actually...I myself, was already an existing sub, & I was actually in mid-contract with my last legacy DVR upgrades... :D ;)

Here is what I think is stupid about this SJ...

OK, so they stick 2 tuners in this thing & it integrates them into the Hopper & all...but WHY didn't they just go ahead & put in a 3rd tuner while they were at it? I mean, when you use a Duo Node for a H/J system, you have 6 sat tuning streams available anyway...& you CANNOT use any other type of (single-tuner) receiver on the system anyway. So now, they basically left 1 sat tuning stream "hanging out" there, with no way to use it. Putting a 3rd tuner in the SJ would have enabled that 6th stream to be utilized, while one-upping DirecTV on their 5-tuner DVR.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)