DISH Enters Deal with ROKU

IMO, Tampa and Scherrman's last 2 posts are on topic, discussing the implications of the Dish/Roku deal.

I must say that, if somehow all private channels are eliminated due to this deal, then that would be overkill...throwing the baby out with the bath water.

IMO, Tampa and Scherrman's last 2 posts are on topic, discussing the implications of the Dish/Roku deal.

I must say that, if somehow all private channels are eliminated due to this deal, then that would be overkill...throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Over 2 dozen channels have already been dropped for one reason or another. They all have to get a licensing deal with DISH to be part of Dishworld or an exception to the exclusivity. Some are reporting it's taken weeks of attempted contact with Dish to get any kind of response (developers got a month+ heads up).

This only really affects me personally if Al Jazeera gets dropped from the Newscaster channel - a stream that can be watched in any web browser and would be pretty ridiculous to drop. I'm just wary of what the next steps could be and it severely limits the other random stuff I could have played with and have tinkered with in the past.

We have Rokus because of how sad GoogleTV is thus far and how limited AppleTV is. With this deal and Dish's history this certainly will certainly get us to reconsider our options should an opportunity present itself to replace them.

Last edited:
It would seem to me that if an international channel is available for free on the Roku, prior to Dish taking over, and it is a channel that Dish does not offer on DishWorld or otherwise, then they have no right to demand removal of or permission for that channel. Doing so would be way too draconian.

That's my exact feelings for CBC with Nowhere Man. CBC isn't offered by any American provider, but Dish will kill it because of Hockey Night in Canada. It kills sales of Center Ice, which carries the games for HNIC. Mind you I actually want CBC for its news and original shows. Anyway, I wish Dish will give a pass to the channels that aren't part of Dish World.

While I know the news may seem grim in some ways with Dish and the international channels, I wish Dish would have a Dish Online Roku channel.

While I know the news may seem grim in some ways with Dish and the international channels, I wish Dish would have a Dish Online Roku channel.
That would soften the blow a little. But I agree with The Fat Man, especially about CBC. Since I live in the Detroit area, I watched CBC out of Windsor when I was growing up. Not only did we watch CBC for HNiC, but my family always liked their Olympic coverage better than the US network coverage. After CBET changed it's broadcast pattern (to better serve it's legal DMA), the only way for me to watch it was via local cable (all the local cabelcos carry it). Dish certainly wasn't going to carry it. So when Nowhereman TV started carrying it, I became really happy. CBC also carries shows that appear on premium channels in the USA. So, of course you can count on Dish making sure this feed goes away.

That's my exact feelings for CBC with Nowhere Man. CBC isn't offered by any American provider, but Dish will kill it because of Hockey Night in Canada. It kills sales of Center Ice, which carries the games for HNIC.
Doesn't the NHL Network carry HNIC?
Mind you I actually want CBC for its news and original shows. Anyway, I wish Dish will give a pass to the channels that aren't part of Dish World.
I want CBC more than gpollock wants Fearnet!

Actually starting last season, Hockey Night In Canada was on NHL Net only a limited number of times. They put it back on Center Ice in most occasions, which got many subs angry as NHL Net provide the HD feed and Center Ice only provided SD as Dish doesn't get CBC to uplink the HD feed.

I think what you are seeing is the systematic destruction of the distribution channels by players like Dish, Comcast and the studios. In some way entertainment distribution is an Oligopoly. It almost feels like Netflix is self destructing after showing some promise of disruption. At the end any distribution channels that show lower cost to the end users are getting destroyed. Who ever is dreaming of cord cutting, just forget it!

I had enjoyed south asian channel that I needed at fraction of cost on roku so far. Now, they have successfully killed it. My reason to buy Roku was for that. These days you get netflix, youtube pretty much on multiple devices (Samsung, XBOX, AppleTV). With this limitation, it is another box that is a wasted investment. I have questioned my AppleTV purchase multiple times. But now I feel that at least it had/has the AirPlay mirroring!

Last edited:
Rupert is a player....

Business in Brief | News Corp. buys stake in Roku - KansasCity.com

I think what you are seeing is the systematic destruction of the distribution channels by players like Dish, Comcast and the studios. In some way entertainment distribution is an Oligopoly. It almost feels like Netflix is self destructing after showing some promise of disruption. At the end any distribution channels that show lower cost to the end users are getting destroyed. Who ever is dreaming of cord cutting, just forget it!

I had enjoyed south asian channel that I needed at fraction of cost on roku so far. Now, they have successfully killed it. My reason to buy Roku was for that. These days you get netflix, youtube pretty much on multiple devices (Samsung, XBOX, AppleTV). With this limitation, it is another box that is a wasted investment. I have questioned my AppleTV purchase multiple times. But now I feel that at least it had/has the AirPlay mirroring!

Well one could consider distributing through GoogleTV and put the content on a web page. At least then they cannot get an exclusive on the content agreement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts