Dish expanding more

I think this new feature would apply to a small niche of customers. I would be more thrilled if they could fix the bugs introduced this year on the hopper.

1. Fix the name based recording issues on ota sub channels, so you no longer have to do manual timers.
2. Fix the protect feature so you can see it and it actually works again.
bonus feature - fix the software so you can ADD one ota channel instead of having to scan all channels everytime. It's been saying "coming soon" for two years.

Yes, Scott posted this on the forum last September. The original discussions were around the Control4 aspect of this. And from what it seems, they are focusing on high-end home automation system companies and not the stuff most of us can afford as a luxury. Hopefully I am proved wrong and they may integrate into simple X10 or other protocol devices without having to have someone come in an install a entire system like Control4, Savant and the others.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...g-home-automation-system.320903/#post-3269327

I know control 4 had been on the hopper for some time. Just never knew what the hopper was going to do with it. I just took this article as the understanding that it will control the needless things, that really will make someone comfortable. (Lights, thermostat, fans etc)

I think this new feature would apply to a small niche of customers. I would be more thrilled if they could fix the bugs introduced this year on the hopper.

1. Fix the name based recording issues on ota sub channels, so you no longer have to do manual timers.
2. Fix the protect feature so you can see it and it actually works again.
bonus feature - fix the software so you can ADD one ota channel instead of having to scan all channels everytime. It's been saying "coming soon" for two years.

Sadly, I beginning to think we'll never see these items fixed. Clearly there is no priority or interest in doing so. Just keep adding more and more...the heck with whether features ALREADY there work or work properly. :(

While I, too, want Dish to get those bugs fixed, have the Hopper compatible with some type of home automation is a necessary competitive point for Dish. However, the really low cost solutions that are easily installed by the consumer that use your smart phone or tablet for control of interface are far more likely to be adopted because they are so affordable and people can use their existing phones to control it even while at home. I think the automation capabilities for Dish is like Starband was or like trying to make the 721 and 922 access the Web while watching TV. Something Dish felt necessary not to be left behind if that stuff took off, but Dish ended up abandoning those ventures when it became clear that people didn't really want that, yet. In the case of Starband. Dish lost over a quarter million dollars it had invested in the company. Of course, with the technology what it is today, Echostar and Dish satellite internet be it DishNet or Hugesnet is really the only very bright spot for the companies and where all the growth is occurring. Sometimes they add such capacities like home automation because they are afraid of being left behind and not competitive it they did not have it developed and in their systems, and right now Home Automation is enjoying a lot of attention with more devices coming on the market ready to be part of home automation as something that could have tremendous growth in the future.

rolled on a service call after getting to the home the customer informs me its a smart home and the home took a lighting strike and everything(by everything from light switches to garage door openers to appliances to all of her receivers etc) that was hard wired with ethernet cables was fried.

being an electrician I thought this home isnt grounded, turned out I was right, the lady said she filed an insurance claim and the insurance company sent an inspector out and denied the claim because all the wiring both electrical and networking wasnt grounded to code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts