DISH Expands In-Home Music Experience With Pandora

garys

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
DISH Expands In-Home Music Experience With Pandora

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 04/19/12 -- DISH (NASDAQ: DISH), one of the nation's leading pay-TV providers, has introduced Pandora (NYSE: P), the leading personalized radio service, for the DISH Hopper™ Whole-Home HD DVR system. Pandora on the Hopper allows customers to easily search for their favorite artists or songs and create personalized radio stations that play only the music they love from the comfort of their homes.

DISH customers with a Hopper can login to their existing Pandora account, or create a new Pandora account, to stream their personalized radio stations through their television. Streaming Pandora on the Hopper requires an Internet connection.

"Pandora adds new dimension to the Hopper experience," said Vivek Khemka, vice president of product management at DISH. "This partnership is another example of how we are working to make Hopper the entertainment platform of choice for America's homes."

"We're thrilled that DISH is making Pandora available to their customers on a great new platform like the Hopper," said Ian Geller, vice president of Business Development at Pandora. "More than a third of all radio listening takes place in the home and Pandora delivered through the Hopper allows everyone in the family to easily access and enjoy music they love through their personalized radio stations."

DISH's Hopper features three satellite TV tuners and a two-terabyte hard drive that stores up to 2,000 hours of video. Accompanied by small, sleek Joey™ units, the Hopper enables customers to pause live TV in one room and continue watching in another room. DISH launched Hopper in March and it is available to both new and existing DISH customers.

In addition to Pandora, DISH's Hopper features apps that give viewers real-time access to Facebook, Twitter and photo sharing, as well as games, news, weather, sports and stock quotes.

More information about DISH's Hopper is available at DISH Hopper - Hopper DVR - Hopper Whole Home DVR - DISH.

About DISH
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 13.967 million satellite TV customers, as of Dec. 31, 2011, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit DISH Satellite TV Packages From $19.99. Ask About HD Free For Life..

About Pandora
Pandora gives people music they love anytime, anywhere, through connected devices. (OK, we've added comedy as well so we're also up for playing some jokes you'll love.) Personalized stations launch instantly with the input of a single "seed" -- a favorite artist, song or genre. The Music Genome Project®, a deeply detailed, hand-built musical taxonomy, powers Pandora's personalization -- using musicological "DNA" and constant listener feedback to craft personalized stations from a growing collection of hundreds of thousands of recordings. Tens of millions of people in the United States turn on Pandora to hear music they love.

Adding new stuff is always a good thing. But to be honest, I've never seen the purpose of playing music through a tv. Playing pandora through a pc is different because you're usually multi-tasking on a pc. And then when you realize how much power a tv uses, why not buy a WiFi radio to listen to Pandora?

Sirius/XM for us is a HUGE benefit of Dish. Pandora will be for others. Who says you have to listen through the TV? You can, but we also have the Dish receiver go through an Audio receiver, and listen through that. Extremely convenient, can be used to wake up to music at a given time, or go to bed with music with the ability to turn off at a given time......

Last edited:
Yep. When we have guests, especially, we play S/XM thru the AV system. Nice broad selection of music styles.

+1. We have Sirius playing through our A/V receiver all weekend long at home. I also have a pair of Bose speakers mounted outside so we can listen when we are on our deck or in the backyard. Sirius is a huge benefit for us!

As I have never seen the purpose of watching TV on an iPhone.;)
It's funny you mention that. When my oldest son was home from college last weekend, he was playing a game on the big screen and then was watching some anime from Netflix on his laptop. Even though we have a Netflix connected Blu-Ray player connected to that tv.

Watching TV on a smartphone depends what you mean. Hours at a time, I don't how someone can do that. But stuck in an airport, or just away from your local area and want to see the final inning(s) of a big game? Hell ya! Into American Idol and want to see when someone is voted off or watch a particular show you recorded while away from home? Absolutely. When Slingbox came out with the mobile app years ago it really did change everything. Notice more Fathers at Church or Synagogue now? :dev

Adding new stuff is always a good thing. But to be honest, I've never seen the purpose of playing music through a tv. Playing pandora through a pc is different because you're usually multi-tasking on a pc. And then when you realize how much power a tv uses, why not buy a WiFi radio to listen to Pandora?

it's not just trough I tv. some of us have home theaters where the hopper is. so I can just stream pandora through the hopper and then through the home theater sound system I already have. It's a nice option

I appreciate the ability to play music throught he AV syste. Again I wish it was Slacker but Pandora will have to do.

Adding new stuff is always a good thing. But to be honest, I've never seen the purpose of playing music through a tv.
Some Dish subs might have an AV Receiver and associated speaker systems integrated into their home theater systems. Not everybody uses a 22" LCD TV/Computer monitor sitting on a milk crate.

it's not just trough I tv. some of us have home theaters where the hopper is. so I can just stream pandora through the hopper and then through the home theater sound system I already have. It's a nice option
Yes. It makes it easier than using the Pandora app in my AVR, which is not as easy to navigate, or the Pandora app in my BDP, which means switching to a different source device.

If only they could put Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon VOD on there, I'd be golden. (I know, it ain't gonna happen.) Or, more likely, HBO Go and Epix apps would be nice. I already have them on my Rokus, so it can certainly be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)