DISH expected to settle with TiVo.

And according to DISH the software has been changed to no longer infringe as well.

That is DISH's claim, they have a lot of work to do to prove it to the judge.

As far as the judge is concerned as it stands now, the hardware claim was reversed, the software still infringes.

The analysts' speculation was the judge may not want to hear DISH's new software claim, I disagree but hey they are experts apparently so we will see.

The analysts' speculation was the judge may not want to hear DISH's new software claim,
Wrong again. I've never seen anyone so apt to read something wrong. The analyst didn't say the claim wouldn't be heard. Just that there likely wouldn't be a stay while it happened. Try to read precisely and post accurately. It really isn't that hard.

Please lets not get this thread booted to the war zone. Dish may or may not infringe, Dish may or may not have to turn off all DVRs, etc... Lets leave that discussion to the war zone thread that has every possible argument both ways. Just have speculation on settlements here and any news on possiblities of a settlement.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-vs-directv-war-zone/132547-notice-tivo-injunction.html <-- if curious and have a lot of time almost 1000 posts debating the battle

It really is time the `master poker player` Charlie to stop with the legal battles and put our (subscriber's) money into improving the service. Though I think the lawsuit and claim by Tivo is lame, DVRs are generic, they make good software and E* makes good hardware... license it, integrate it and maybe they could build a competitive edge against D*.

Can you imagine a 3 tuner (OTA included) E*Tivo with MPEG4 capabilities?

Makes me shudder. Keep that lousy slow, clunky tivo software with it's lame circus noises (bleep, bloop!) away from my 722!

Please lets not get this thread booted to the war zone. Dish may or may not infringe, Dish may or may not have to turn off all DVRs, etc... Lets leave that discussion to the war zone thread that has every possible argument both ways. Just have speculation on settlements here and any news on possiblities of a settlement.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-vs-directv-war-zone/132547-notice-tivo-injunction.html <-- if curious and have a lot of time almost 1000 posts debating the battle

Exactly. The last thing I want is yet another thread with Tivo Wanking Troll (TWT) spamming relentlessly.

As far as this thread goes, Not sure if they'll settle. They probably should. I'm getting tired of all this crap, honestly. I'll be happy, whatever they do, as long as they keep that worthless annoying Tivo software off my DishDVR.

Tivo wants Dish to license the Tivo technology or be bought by Echostar. In other words, this lawsuit is really about getting the cash streaming into Tivo for the long-run, as they desperately need that more than a one-time 90 million shot in the arm. I am quite certain that Tivo has made it clear to Dish that Tivo will happily and enthusiastically provide for Dish as they do for Comcast. But Charlie has already spent $$ developing his own DVR (despite the poor logic of the jury in Tyler, TX) and he probably feels the victim of a kind of legal "extortion."

If things end up where Dish has no other option but to pay, then I do believe that Charlie (Echostar) will buy Tivo--a controlling interest. And Tivo will happily be bought. In fact, Tivo may have already made such a suggestion during this whole lawsuit.

We'll have to see how this turns out. Frankly, I doubt the Supreme Court will vote to hear this case. Charlie, just buy Tivo and be done with it. Then you can mess with Comcast and sue everybody else.

Why would Dish settle? Why does Dish carry the TV Guide channel?

Why would Tivo settle? Money. It does Tivo no good to shut down all the Dish DVRs. Worst case, what's going to happen to those people if they get shut out? They will go to Directv, who is not a friend to tivo, either. So that does not help Tivo in the slightest bit.

The obvious answer is for Echostar to go into the Tivo business, both in satellite and OTA arenas.

The only issue is finding the right kind of deal.

Dish carries the TV Guide channel because it was part of a settlement between Dish and Gemstar (TV Guide). The settlement also required Dish to display the TV Guide bug in the guide, but in exchange for hundreds of millions of dollars to settle the suit, Dish received a "lifetime" license to TV Guide technology. Charlie did say back then that they would integrate some of the TV Guide technology.

There is absolutely no reason for TiVo to "settle" at this point. They should collect their monies (to include penalties) and proceed with the court ordered shutdown.

Wrong. DirecTV currently pays TIVO 92 cents per month per subscription. With all tha hassle DISH has created for TIVO, I believe TIVO will demand at least $1.50.

$1.50 per month times 5 million DISH DVR's = 7.5 million per month.

That is 22.5 million per quarter.

TIVO lost 6.5 million last quarter.

Just the DISH deal alone will make TIVO into a profitable company. Making about 64 million a year in profit.

Shutting down the DVR's means that both DISH and TIVO suffer immense damage.

Makes me shudder. Keep that lousy slow, clunky tivo software with it's lame circus noises (bleep, bloop!) away from my 722!

For my money TIVO easily wins vs. DISH and REPLAY. I have had all three and TIVO is still my, and, perhaps more importantly, my wife's favorite.

But seriously, why isn't anyone doing anything INNOVATIVE with their DVR software? It shouldn't be that hard to jump way ahead of any of the competition. Smart conflict scheduling (especially for cable shows that repeat two or three times a day) would be a good start.

The 9.3 software up is very fast. Clunky? What does that even mean? The circus noises as you describe are easy to turn off. It takes 10 seconds to do it and they never come again unless you turn them back on.

Now throw out some more VERY LAME excuses and I will debunk those too.

I'll be happy, whatever they do, as long as they keep that worthless annoying Tivo software off my DishDVR.

I am sure that what you meant to say is that fantastically reliable awesome TIVO software that never has to reboot, that you cannot wait to get. :D:D:D:D

If things end up where Dish has no other option but to pay, then I do believe that Charlie (Echostar) will buy Tivo--a controlling interest.

TIVO has a poison pill blockade against hostile take overs. It gets triggered if anyone buys more than 15 percent of TIVO. While I am not sure how much cost that would add to the takeover, TIVO has 89 patents and another 109 pending patent approval. I have no trouble believing that their patent portfolio is worth at least 2.5 billion and some articles say it is worth at least 3 billion. With the current market cap at 885 million that means that DISH would have to come up with at least 3.4 billion. Not likely at all since they just borrowed 750 million at 7.75 percent interest just yesterday to help in their competition to beat DirecTV in the race for HD channel capacity. A race they are losing. Last quarter DirecTV added 275,000 subscribers. DISH only 35,000, down from 310,000 in the same quarter the previous year.

For my money TIVO easily wins vs. DISH and REPLAY. I have had all three and TIVO is still my, and, perhaps more importantly, my wife's favorite.

Talk to virtually anyone, as in the hundreds as I have on message boards, they all say the same thing. Anyone who has ever owned a TIVO wants to keep a TIVO, compared to all the other DVR's.

Talk to virtually anyone, as in the hundreds as I have on message boards, they all say the same thing. Anyone who has ever owned a TIVO wants to keep a TIVO, compared to all the other DVR's.

Wrong. I had Dish DVR service and went to straight cable with a purchased TIVO and went back to Dish because I didnt like the TIVO.

Wrong again. Had TIVO, had DISH DVR. LOVE DISH DVR, don't miss TIVO at all....

I loved my DT Series 2 Tivo.

But analog cable ($30/mo) + Tivo ($13/mo) isn't as much a value as DishHD, VIP722, cinemax for $42/mo w/a 24-mo commitment.

The only thing I'm missing is my regional sports in SD and, in my opinion, a slightly more intuitive, more reliable Tivo DVR.

What do I gain? HD/DD5.1, a 3rd OTA tuner, an HD DVR, modulated dual mode, 350GB of storage, no upfront box fee.

Again, my Tivo was great. But the DishHD package, cinemax, and VIP722 just blows anything else out there away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts