Dish falling behind in HD

i do have a list of HD Channels that i would like to see added onto Dish Network such as The Military ChannelHD.i would like to see Dish add Three or four HD channels a month instead one or two such as the disney networks and we are waiting on Sundance Channel HD.

If programmers do not offer their channels in HD, where is Dish susposed to get the HD channels from. S**t them!

This is an honest question; I genuinely do not know. So... DirecTV (and the cablecos?) can give out signficantly viewed stations wherever they feel like it, but Dish cannot?

I'm still learning these rules from the expert Iceberg on this subject.I do know that cablecos,have much more leeway than sat,also since Dish got in trouble for offering out of market locals to non qualifying subs,they are restricted more than DTV.

A for instance in my area,whether you have Dish or DTV,you can only legally subscribe to Charlotte locals,with Charter cable you also get the significantly viewed channels from the tri cities Tn. market.WCYB and WJHL have been on cable here since it's inception.

i would like to see more HD Channels the more the merrier and i know that some of u already do not want more HD Channels..i know that there are many HD Channels that would like to be added onto dish network.

First, you've been making that perfectly clear for a while now. Second, in a perfect world every house would be equipped for HD. SD would be completely gone, there would be no HD fee, because HD would the only "D" thus making it the standard by default, then we could discuss adding room the make the 3D fanboys happy.

In a perfect world I would make millions for what I do and be an internationally known as the "hottest man alive" as well. But we don't live in a perfect world. You need to deal with some SD, and I make peanuts and look like Chewbacca's...

This is an honest question; I genuinely do not know. So... DirecTV (and the cablecos?) can give out signficantly viewed stations wherever they feel like it, but Dish cannot?

I'll take each part separately
Cable has had rules since the 60s of basically if you can pick it up you can put it on cable. In areas where they are between two markets you see this alot. But with the digital transition signals dont go as far so stations are dropped. Also if the station that is actually in market asks for exclusivity then they can't import any station. I see cable companies dropping the out of market stations for bandwidth issues.

Directv does it in very extreme cases. They don't do it in all cases. My old address was one. I had a North Mankato, MN address (nicollet county) which qualified for Minneapolis locals (even though they are 90 miles away). Across the river in Mankato (Blue Earth County...they are their own DMA (CBS and Fox subchannel) so they get Mankato CBS & FOX and then Minneapolis ABC & NBC imported. But in an ironic twist the CBS in Mankato (KEYC) their studios are in North Mankato. So we get KEYC CBS as SV (for some reason the Fox station doesnt show up)

Dish still has their hands tied from the whole court case back in 06 when they lost the ability to provide ANY station outside of the market. So if you had a short market tough. You lost the imported stations. A couple years ago Dish cut a deal with the FCC. Let them (Dish) import stations to missing markets and in return they'll put all the remaining markets up in SD at minimum. Dish can only import a station if there is none there (as in the case in Mankato). There are 2 exceptions that I already mentioned (WMUR and the 2 counties in VT) and those took bills from the local gov't people to approve.

There is out there a old list of what the FCC considers Significantly Viewed. In the case of gpollack's case all of Memphis Big 4 stations are considered SV in his county. So in his county Directv has offered both Jackson and Memphis (they dont have to....but they do). Jackson only had Fox, ABC and PBS until a year ago (they got CBS added as a subchannel a year ago). So he already gets NBC imported from Memphis. Dish can only import the missing NBC (again following the rule of they can't import anything unless its missing)

In the case of gpollack's case all of Memphis Big 4 stations are considered SV in his county. So in his county Directv has offered both Jackson and Memphis (they dont have to....but they do). Jackson only had Fox, ABC and PBS until a year ago (they got CBS added as a subchannel a year ago).

I am surprised that the Jackson Fox, ABC, CBS stations don't declare exclusivity to prevent DirecTV from doing this.

I see it as this (and its only the outer portion of his county. Jackson proper only gets NBC and CW from Memphis..the rest from Jackson)

The Fox in Jackson is a sister station to the ABC in Memphis...so I guess they don't mind as more eyeballs on their station (ABC)
The CBS is in SD only (480i widescreen) as its a subchannel on ABC so getting a CBS in HD is a bonus ;)
NBC there is none so thats legit

the rest is gravy...

I knew that much. But people in Eastern Massachusetts get it as well.

ok let me rephrase it

Everyone in the Boston DMA gets it as its considered part of their DMA. This includes the southern part of NH

There are 2 other markets. Sullivan and Grafton county (west side of state) gets Plattsburg NY/Burlington VT locals. Coos and Carroll county (east side) get Portland Maine locals. Per the law NH residents can also get WMUR.

The whole issue was even though there is a law about it the FCC (the same people who agreed to it) told Dish back in 06 no you can't give WMUR to anyone outside of the Boston DMA. Even after the ban was lifted on other things they still couldnt do offer this until about 6 months ago.

The HD offerings from DirecTV and Dish are virtually identical with DirecTV having a few channels that Dish does not have, but Dish having a few that DirecTV does not have. It is DirecTV that has finally caught up to, but not passed, Dish, and I am pleased as competition is a good thing. Dish wouldn't be as good as it is nor would we have the Hopper--CES Winner, favorite of both Engadget and ZatsNotFunny--if Dish weren't trying so hard to best the competition. It's good to have Mike White, Brian Roberts, et al. nipping at Charlie's heels.

I think it's a matter of how and what you count.

But you are, of course, welcome to chase numbers.

There's only 1 or 2 channels I'd like to see added, such as Military History HD. I could gain that with Fios, but lose others, so it's always a trade off.

I've already got more than I could ever watch.

I don't see how the Military History channel could use HD most of their programming is WWII which is NOT in HD nor color.
I have never seen where the Military History channel is even offered in HD.

I don't see how the Military History channel could use HD most of their programming is WWII which is NOT in HD nor color.
It can be remastered like TCM. TCM has done a great job cleaning up old films. That may be possible for the Military History channel footage from yesteryear.

WWII was shot on film, so the HD argument is pretty much moot since film is often better than HD. Aspect ratio and absence of color don't change the value of the content substantially as WWII wasn't about grand vistas and tropical fish.
What does this have to do with the fact that it does indeed exist? Comcast (Digital Preferred package) carries the channel in select markets.

I see it as this (and its only the outer portion of his county. Jackson proper only gets NBC and CW from Memphis..the rest from Jackson)

The Fox in Jackson is a sister station to the ABC in Memphis...so I guess they don't mind as more eyeballs on their station (ABC). The CBS is in SD only (480i widescreen) as its a subchannel on ABC so getting a CBS in HD is a bonus ;)
NBC there is none so thats legit.

This is not making sense to me. What would make sense is the Jackson ABC declaring exclusivity to prevent the Memphis ABC from being shown on DirecTV. Likewise, the Fox in Jackson would want to declare exclusivity to prevent the Memphis Fox affiliate from being broadcast. Now if there were sister stations from the same network, then what you suggest above would make sense.

Also, what does the Jackson CBS care about HD from some other station not owned by themselves? All existing Jackson stations should declare exclusivity. If they don't really care to do that out of the goodness of their hearts ;), then why is the FCC still enforcing these punitive rules only on Dish Network? :confused:

This is not making sense to me. What would make sense is the Jackson ABC declaring exclusivity to prevent the Memphis ABC from being shown on DirecTV. Likewise, the Fox in Jackson would want to declare exclusivity to prevent the Memphis Fox affiliate from being broadcast. Now if there were sister stations from the same network, then what you suggest above would make sense.
the county he is in according to the FCC qualifies for Memphis locals as significantly viewed so the Jackson locals dont have a pot to piss in about blocking them. This only works in 2 counties. Again in Jackson proper Directv can only carry the Jackson locals. Cable carries Memphis Big4 (except ABC) and PBS. While I agree with you on the Fox thing again Memphis Fox is considered Significantly Viewed in those 2 counties.

Also, what does the Jackson CBS care about HD from some other station not owned by themselves? All existing Jackson stations should declare exclusivity.
they do...in the county they are in. But in the case of gpollock he is in the next county which gets Jackson locals per Nielsen but also Memphis as SV.
Technically the Memphis stations are SV in Madison County (where Jackson proper is)
WBBJ-TV, 7, Jackson, TN
+WJKT, 16, Jackson, TN (formerly WMTU)
WREG-TV, 3, Memphis, TN (formerly WREC)
WMC-TV, 5, Memphis, TN
WHBQ-TV, 13, Memphis, TN
+WPTY-TV, 24, Memphis, TN

So we're going with the double FCC standard here. Cable can carry Memphis (and they do but the ABC) but satellite can't. In the case of CBS because the local one isnt in HD I think cable has the right to carry a neighboring station that is in HD. I know locally in Mankato, MN they do that. Fox is SD only locally (subchannel off CBS) so cable carries Fox Minneapolis. They can black out the duplicate programming on the SD station but not the HD version. Satellite can't so again the double standard.

then why is the FCC still enforcing these punitive rules only on Dish Network? :confused:

because again Dish lost a court case back in 06 when they were giving distants to folks who technically didnt qualify for them. One of the rules is if locals are available you can't get distants but back then folks were getting both. Heck I was one of them. I used our cabin address which qualified me for all nets but CBS. Even though Minneapolis locals were available and I had them Dish still allowed me to get ABC, NBC and FOX from different markets. At one time there were I think 6 cities available. NY, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Dallas. I remember having Fox from Denver and LA, ABC from Chicago and NY and NBC from Atlanta and I think LA along with my locals.
I think Dish is content with being able to import missing stations to markets than SV. Directv does it in extreme cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts