Status
Please reply by conversation.

snathanb

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 26, 2004
DFW
Added Dish #3 today, A Primestar 84E that I picked up for free from a member of this forum. (Thanks SlicerMDM!)

The white dish in the center is my first dish, it's a motorized 1 meter direcway dish. I added an invacom LNB to the original feedhorn.

The smaller grey dish on the left is an older, smaller direcpc dish. I picked it up cheap off ebay. I'm using the original feedhorn, but the LNB from the white direcway dish.

I'm using the original feedhorn on the Primestar dish, but I'm using the LNB from the grey direcpc dish. The LNB that came with the Primestar had seperate connections for V and H and I only had one port left on my switch.

I'm getting *great* signal from it, even using that ancient direcpc LNB. It's got to be at least a 5 or 6 DB LNB, but it's pulling in 90-94% quality on IA5, Deluxe Music TP.

Attachments

• PrimestarHybridLNB.jpg
    PrimestarHybridLNB.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 256
  • DeluxePrimestar.jpg
    DeluxePrimestar.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 238
  • DishFarm.jpg
    DishFarm.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 312
Lucky you. I have a SuperDish on my house and one IA5 Dish from GlobeCast and I only get 26% Signal power from IA5. I guess it's time to re-set the dish. I still get a good signal from IA5 but I wish I could more power to it.

Why are you not getting one nice sized dish and a nice motor to run the show?

Oliver

oschaper said:
Why are you not getting one nice sized dish and a nice motor to run the show?

His 1m DirecPC dish is motorized, and last I checked, thats a nice sized dish ;)

Well, but I would cout down on the antenna forest because it is not really pretty. Reminds me on the 50's and 60's in the Downtown Areas....

Oliver

oschaper said:
Well, but I would cout down on the antenna forest because it is not really pretty. Reminds me on the 50's and 60's in the Downtown Areas....

Oliver

To an FTA hobbyist, a dish farm is like a nice collection of classical or sport cars in your garage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Sadoun said:
To an FTA hobbyist, a dish farm is like a nice collection of classical or sport cars in your garage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)
Try explaining that to my wife. :D

I will be going out tommorow and redoing my Dish Farm. I am getting rid of my SuperDish and will be replacing it with a standard Dish 500. I will be outting the Dish 500 on the pole which I am using for my FTA DIsh which is slightly out of wack so I can only see half the arc (And I know I can see the rest of the satellites)

The FTA Dish will go on the old Super Dish pole which I know is 100% plum and level. Because the FTA Dish moves I will need to move the 61.5 dish over onto the pole where I have my ExpressVu Dish.

Its going to be a long day, but I think it will be worth it. :D

Yes the female of the species don't seem to appreciate the beauty of dish farms for some reason?

I had to make a load of concessions to be granted permission to bring a 6' dish on to the property. Mrs PSB made me remove around 3-4 dish from my farm. Now I am just have two dish!!!!!

Good Luck tomorrow Scott if you need any help you have Icebergs number. (joke)

Seeing as I'm erecting a 4' MicroBud on a perfectly standard BUD mounting setup (cemented pole, running bracketted up the shed, topped with a polar mount and actuator) I've debated just saying "what the heck" and pushing my luck with a proper 6 footer. WAF is very low in this area, though, especially seeing how much I spent to get the 1.2m Patriot! Oh well, maybe this past month of giving all my spare money towards the household and bills have earned me some credit ;)

My wife would get very upset if I put another dish on the house. I have to make some changes to the current setup and upgrade to a motor dish.

Is there a universal LNB and Dish for a Motor solution? We used to have that in the European office.

One of the reasons for more than one would be to have a few nailed to specific Sats, so that you do not have to move the motorized one to that location, secondly as in my case, I have one nailed to 121W for the Wife so she can watch German TV off Dish Network, and I will be setting up another at 123W (Need Wife Approval) since my motor when properly setup will only go to 121W.. Crazy.. Also have a small older 18" Dish Network one pointed at 119W to get all the free music. Although that may move to an ExpressVU sat for better music.. (I Think it will work, so it must!!) And lastly, I have a Yagi Style ant, pointed to Baltimore, MD to get HD locals..

Since I have had my 1.2m Patriot up I have not used my smaller motorized dish. I have since sold all my movers except one and have taken down the Fortec dish. All that is left standing is the pole - and she inquired the other day what was going to happen with that...guess I'll have to dig it out and ruin a perfectly good plumb pole! I promised her that when I got the bigger dish that I would take the other one down. Concessions, concessions. :no

An Idea...

rayydio said:
Since I have had my 1.2m Patriot up I have not used my smaller motorized dish. I have since sold all my movers except one and have taken down the Fortec dish. All that is left standing is the pole - and she inquired the other day what was going to happen with that...guess I'll have to dig it out and ruin a perfectly good plumb pole! I promised her that when I got the bigger dish that I would take the other one down. Concessions, concessions. :no
I'd figure out some way to hang some potted plants on it. In case you decide to reuse it in the future. Besides, she may go for that.

Al

Edit: Or maybe a bird feeder, surely she likes Hummingbirds.

Sadoun said:

Amen! Besides... there are many, many in my area with HAM radio towers that are quite a bit more, well....

PSB said:
Yes the female of the species don't seem to appreciate the beauty of dish farms for some reason?

I had to make a load of concessions to be granted permission to bring a 6' dish on to the property. Mrs PSB made me remove around 3-4 dish from my farm. Now I am just have two dish!!!!!

Good Luck tomorrow Scott if you need any help you have Icebergs number. (joke)

I'm pretty fortunate in that regard... I keep trying to get my neighboor to give me his unused 10 foot BUD. If you look carefully, you can see it on the very left edge of my picture.

I seen it! Does not look to be working as its covered by branches. Much like the 6' dish I have the owner said "it only works in winter" : ) Works all year round now its got a clear line of sight to the Clarke Belt : )

Well, isn't there a solution with a Multi LNB set (like SuperDish from Dish Network) to get more with one Dish? That would please the wife (NO MORE DISH ON THE HOUSE - AND SHE IS THE BOSS) and I get to watch the other birds like G10R

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts