This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish fighting with Meredith Corp?

shellyw9

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
I was just watching Wnem tv 5 in the flint dma and a crawler ran across the screen saying we will lose channel 5 on Saturday July 16 if a carriage agreement is not met. I wasn't aware this was a issue

its on their website

http://www.wnem.com/story/32429149/will-dish-drop-wnem-from-its-lineup

We don’t know DISH’s plans. By law, cable and satellite companies must negotiate in good faith with television stations before dropping the TV stations’ signals.

WNEM has been trying for months to sign an agreement with DISH. If DISH does not reach an agreement to carry WNEM, WNEM’s programming will not be available on DISH on Saturday, July 16, 2016. DISH will drop all of WNEM’s top-rated programs, TV5 News, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, The Amazing Race, Survivor and 60 Minutes.

I'm not jumping to say DISH - or WNEM is in the wrong or the one not negotiating. My observation is WNEM should have waited till July 16th to then explain why they are not on DISH, if that actually happens since DISH has not said anything disparaging during negotiations. Second, in the case of locals I believe WNEM is correct, because of the carry one carry all rule it makes sense both sides have to negotiate in good faith before a local is dropped. That said, we of course have no idea what WNEM is calling not negotiating in good faith they may or may not be right.
And Third, I believe WNEM when they say they negotiated successfully with every other provider. That's how we got to the point of such high programming costs.

Saw the crawl while watching KPHO CBS 5 in Phoenix, AZ. Meredith Corporation owned. Shutting down July 16. This really stinks I'm tired of this. I under both sides but man...

We would lose WSMV NBC in Nashville. this ticks me off because the British Open is on NBC this weekend. Also love watching America's Got Talent.

Yes, another dispute in the works. Today I looked at the uplink report and there was a new channel added for the Hartford market. I wondered what channel that might be. When I turned on the TV, it turns out that the new channel was nothing more than Dish warning that there is another local channel dispute, this time with Meredith Corp. For me in Connecticut, that means I would lose CBS. I already lost FOX and CW due to the Tribune dispute. This is getting very annoying! Dish truly is the King of disputed and removed channels!

I too are seeing the DISH warning for my local CBS channel in the St Louis area. I hate to loose it but it will be nice to have AutoHop back for CBS OTA channel. The AutoHop has been really nice for the local FOX channel I have lost. Thanks DISH for the returning the AutoHop for the OTA local channels we have lost.

i just wish all these dang disputes are done and over with yes i know my bills will go up over whats going on with these stations,

Too bad DISH doesn't allow a ota usb tuner that can record 4 ota channels at the same time. Or two usb tuners that each can record two ota channels at the same time.HINT HINT DISH Then since we get guide data and auto hop on those ota channels , it would be a replacement for the sat delivered locals, when ever there is a dispute like this. The customer wouldn't see any difference when they are off for negotiations and it would give DISH all the Leverage in the diputes.

Good idea

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Get your free indoor HD antenna from Dish.
That will might work fine for folks in urban and suburban areas but not so much for those living outside of those areas. I am fine with unpaved roads, having no corner store to run to for a loaf of bread, etc. but most of the stations lost due to these disputes during our 16 years with Dish - well, that puts a real hurtin' on me, no matter which side is 'at fault'.

Conspiracy theory!! Tribune Media and Meredith got together and planned this outage to force Dish to cave. This will be 2 of the 4 gone in the St. Louis market...

Oh well, there are only 300 other channels to choose from.