Dish Files FCC Appication to Launch Echostar 18

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Dish has filed for launch authority (LOA) for their EchoStar 18 satellite."

EchoStar 18 can transmit up to 109 spot beam and will launched to the 110W orbital location.
Initial plans will utilize EchoStar 18 as a operating "spare" at the 110W site.

Launch is expected in late 2015.

Detailed information may be seen in the following EchoStar 18 link under "Attachments", sub attachment "Narrative".

EchoStar 18

How many times have they replaced Echostar sat at 110 now since 96?

110 is the primary slot Dish uses for LIL for WA since they acquired it back in the late 1990's because Dish has the most transponders licensed to it that Dish owns that are ConUS (the other slots where they have all Xpndrs for a slot are leased or not ConUS). Spotbeam tech keeps evolving with the ability for each subsequent satellite able to operate more spotbeams than ever with more power to do so and improvements to steerable spotbeam tech, so Dish chooses to take advantage of those improvements every opportunity they can in the slot that can most benefit from it: 110W.

AFAIK, 110 is still using 2 sats for Dish service: an all spotbeam sat and a ConUS or combo ConUS-spot sat. Considering the capabilities and complexity of how Dish is using 110, they do need a similarly capable backup at 110, which it does not have today, which after a short period the current operating sats at 110 will be backup to the new ones in 2015 doing the work. This is why 110 has seen so many replacements.

Seems like I recall reading that DirecTV was thinking about possibly giving up their transponders at 119 and 110 to help the AT&T merger slide through any DOJ scrutiny. Haven't heard anything about that lately.

110 is the primary slot Dish uses for LIL for WA since they acquired it back in the late 1990's because Dish has the most transponders licensed to it that Dish owns that are ConUS (the other slots where they have all Xpndrs for a slot are leased or not ConUS). Spotbeam tech keeps evolving with the ability for each subsequent satellite able to operate more spotbeams than ever with more power to do so and improvements to steerable spotbeam tech, so Dish chooses to take advantage of those improvements every opportunity they can in the slot that can most benefit from it: 110W.

AFAIK, 110 is still using 2 sats for Dish service: an all spotbeam sat and a ConUS or combo ConUS-spot sat. Considering the capabilities and complexity of how Dish is using 110, they do need a similarly capable backup at 110, which it does not have today, which after a short period the current operating sats at 110 will be backup to the new ones in 2015 doing the work. This is why 110 has seen so many replacements.
I understand the spotbeams and so on about 110 sat, but my point was that a satellite usually last about 10 - 15 years before it is replaced. I 've seen so many sats going to this slot over the last 18 years , it seems like they keep replacing and backing this same slot over and over again.

Seems like I recall reading that DirecTV was thinking about possibly giving up their transponders at 119 and 110 to help the AT&T merger slide through any DOJ scrutiny. Haven't heard anything about that lately.
I would think that it would make more sense to them to have all their slots on a sat that they don't have to share with DISH. Their sat dish installs would be easier if they didn't have to have lnbs for those slots too. The only reason why they kept these were to spite Charlie, after he got most of the slots through his wheeling and dealing days in the 90s. The person who owned DIRECTV back then , isn't even connected any longer ,so it's time to move on and simplify their slots where they make the most sense.

Seems like I recall reading that DirecTV was thinking about possibly giving up their transponders at 119 and 110 to help the AT&T merger slide through any DOJ scrutiny.
DIRECTV is using 110W uniquely to send programming to Puerto Rico and what they have on 119W is loaded with SD (and even some HD) programming. I don't think they are currently in a position to give any of it up.

DIRECTV is using 110W uniquely to send programming to Puerto Rico and what they have on 119W is loaded with SD (and even some HD) programming. I don't think they are currently in a position to give any of it up.

Directv is using an old conus satellite at 110W. . Dish would have no problem supplying all directv puerto Rico needs by spot beam from 110W and still be able to reuse the transponders for Dish service.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Directv is using an old conus satellite at 110W. . Dish would have no problem supplying all directv puerto Rico needs by spot beam from 110W and still be able to reuse the transponders for Dish service.

Very similar to 72.5w where DISH/ECHOSTAR provided both Directv and Dish feeds from one satellite for a year or more.

I have a computer problem but expect to get it fixed in a few more days. Then I will generate the various beams and their Google Earth kml's.

According to LyngSat and SatBeams, there is nothing broadcasting from DirecTV 5, which is the bird that they have parked at 110, but a test card. DirecTV 7S at 119 does have some locals in SD, but it is very few markets still there, could probably shuffle some things around to give those frequencies up to Dish. Scott had a thread about it around her some where a few months back. At the time it was rumoured they were floating the idea around to help appease the FCC and the DOJ.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts