Dish Find (BUD) What is it?(Pics)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

yankee495

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Southwest Missouri
Hi all, I posted this in FTA because more and more people are using their BUD's far beyond C band. It was almost dark taken with my phone, I tried to lighten it up a bit. It has a LNA and down converter on it. From a distance it looked like C/Ku. Feedhorn mount is button hook. Looks to be a 10 footer and the people left while I was taking the pic. Going back in a little bit or tomorrow...depends if dinner is done!

!cid__01131117149501.jpg!cid__0113111718.jpg

Hi all, I posted this in FTA because more and more people are using their BUD's far beyond C band. It was almost dark taken with my phone, I tried to lighten it up a bit. It has a LNA and down converter on it. From a distance it looked like C/Ku. Feedhorn mount is button hook. Looks to be a 10 footer and the people left while I was taking the pic. Going back in a little bit or tomorrow...depends if dinner is done!

View attachment 60662View attachment 60663
Would not be a bad find if you can get it cheap.

Just offer to remove it for them. They will then have more room and get rid of it. Many will go for that offer by itself.

I know, that is how I got two of these (Perfect 10 6.5')! One is in the shed and one I'm using. I'm looking to stop that S2 signal locking problem before it starts! S9 comes today. I have to check the mesh...make sure it is fine enough. Remember some were not. It was almost dark and cold!
dish_2.jpg

The separate LNA/block down converter setup is vintage. You will surely want to replace it with a new LNB or LNBF. An LNBF will switch polarity without the need for a polarotor, therefore the polarity can be controlled by voltage via the FTA receiver.

Well, I've got the dish...first try (in years) and I found one! I'd still like to know what it is...Feed horn cover is in the shed next to it. Duh...I didn't look at it! But I think they said it didn't say...

More pix, and actual measurements, please. ;)
Did you dig up the pole and take it with ya?

Sorry, the back of the dish is a little different and I thought someone might just name it. I've made the deal to pick it up tomorrow. It is 10' something? I'll measure it and get a couple more pics. The pole is in about 20" X 20" concrete and they said at least 3' deep. I'm gonna try and get the pole, 45-50* weather here for next 2 days so not too bad if you're "working"!

It's been there since the 80's. The mesh (whole dish) is in good shape (true surface). The guy said he's been hanging his topsy turvy tomato thing on it (the button hook), but it is good and solid...

They said I don't have to take the pole, but mine is smaller and I don't know a good place to find one. Kinda need it.

Well I got it for $20. It says Arc-Finder on the feed horn cover. It is a 10 foot polar mount and I'll post some more pics. Can't find anything on it as every search for "arc finder satellite dish" brings up how to adjust a dish etc.

It is steel mesh...steel everything I think except for the cast pole cap or whatever it is called. Very heavy duty mount system and steel ribs. No second ring support like the Sami dishes I think they are.

I probably won't get it installed until sometime in March. I think I'm gonna be very happy with it. :D

Happy dish hunting, the're still out there and this one was almost scrapped!

Good Save! Take your time and make the move without a mishap. I also have a steel BUD, but a different make than the one you found. It has stood up well since I installed it in the '80's. Look for any identification marks on the polar mount, back of the dish. Some were proud enough to ID themselves. Most were not. Upload some closeup pics of the major components. Someone here has seen it before, and can ID it.

Thank you,

We took our time...it is in my back yard! It has a Uniden UST-705 actuator on it.

I brought the mount in to take pics. One side says Greenwood FAB Greenwood Ark.

One side says NAF D3 One word says "SCHMIZZETT" and a google turns up nothing.

So here it is...

Attachments

• mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 193
  • mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 196
  • mount3.jpg
    mount3.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 198
My Echostar X-10 satellite dish looks similar to the dish in the pictures. Mine has 18 mesh panels but yours looks to have 16 panels. The dish construction looks to be similar though.

Attachments

• EchostarX-10.jpg
    EchostarX-10.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 195
Yes, close...you are right, 16 "ribs". I meant to list that. Working on the actuator now. One screw that holds the shaft onto the gearbox won't come out...motor clicks (hums)...shaft stuck.

Well I got it for $20. It says Arc-Finder on the feed horn cover. It is a 10 foot polar mount and I'll post some more pics. Can't find anything on it as every search for "arc finder satellite dish" brings up how to adjust a dish etc.

It is steel mesh...steel everything I think except for the cast pole cap or whatever it is called. Very heavy duty mount system and steel ribs. No second ring support like the Sami dishes I think they are.

I probably won't get it installed until sometime in March. I think I'm gonna be very happy with it. :D

Happy dish hunting, the're still out there and this one was almost scrapped!

Sami's were aluminum and that is why they had the inner braces. There were many brands of steel dishes and allot were just made "locally" so the names would be next to impossible to find.

Well, for it's worth, you have piece of history there. I am sure the it's going to work well, but you may have to put some new electronics, replacing the existing feed. The new LNBF's are pretty inexpensive. I can feel your excitement, pretty soon you're going to be C band, from there to there! COOL!

Well, for it's worth, you have piece of history there. I am sure the it's going to work well, but you may have to put some new electronics, replacing the existing feed. The new LNBF's are pretty inexpensive. I can feel your excitement, pretty soon you're going to be C band, from there to there! COOL!

I have a 6 foot Perfect 10 with a new DMX741 on it and a S9. I quit several years ago because of a neighbors tree but that tree is coming down. :D Her new Pool!

Yes, you are right about "history", it has a LNA and down converter on it. From a distance I thought Cool...C/Ku. Nope, very old C.

The mount says Greenwood Ark which is 165 miles from me. I am in SW Missouri so it was probably built somewhere around here.

When I seen "SCHMIZZETT" on it I thought for sure that was unique enough to help me google something. Not one match.

ANOLE:

The mount is great! Snug on a 3 1/2 inch pole. You have to push "straight up" to get it off, no slop. The pole sticks above ground about 5 feet. I'm gonna try and get it. I have a really bad back but I have a nice young son and some nephews that I might be able to "Draft". :yes

Funny thing is I'm getting married in March and I told her I'm gonna go find me a free dish. We went to Long John Silvers to eat and it was right behind it sticking a couple feet above a privacy fence. So, $20 is not free, but I showed her what newer 10' mesh type dishes go for. She is already very happy with the S9 and the 6 Ft dish. Back ordered on a Gbox!

Anyway, I explained to her that now you can get them cheap or free. But in a few years when they've all been scraped (or fired back up digital) that will change! She, well her jaw dropped at $20!

I do expect some old timers to see people like me and go well, HD for $250 ($140 S9, $35 DMX741, $70 Gbox), fire that puppy up!

Also I was surprised at the amount of stuff still up there. And with C band loading up with HD I think it just might be good for the next few years! Download Movies? NO! Down-link movies! :)

Funny thing is I'm getting married in March and I told her I'm gonna go find me a free dish. We went to Long John Silvers to eat and it was right behind it sticking a couple feet above a privacy fence. So, $20 is not free, but I showed her what newer 10' mesh type dishes go for. She is already very happy with the S9 and the 6 Ft dish. Back ordered on a Gbox!

Anyway, I explained to her that now you can get them cheap or free. But in a few years when they've all been scraped (or fired back up digital) that will change! She, well her jaw dropped at $20!

I do expect some old timers to see people like me and go well, HD for $250 ($140 S9, $35 DMX741, $70 Gbox), fire that puppy up!

Also I was surprised at the amount of stuff still up there. And with C band loading up with HD I think it just might be good for the next few years! Download Movies? NO! Down-link movies! :)

Keep the 6 ft. The dish you are getting will be good for C band but not Ku. The mesh looks to open to pick up C band well. My guess is that you would have an efficiency of at best 35% for use w/ Ku.

Keep the 6 ft. The dish you are getting will be good for C band but not Ku. The mesh looks to open to pick up C band well. My guess is that you would have an efficiency of at best 35% for use w/ Ku.

I had thought of that too. I just checked. I haven't looked at my 6' dish in so long I forgot how fine the mesh was. The 10' is bigger...but it is not like some I have seen....Won't do squat on Ku. Seems to me they say if you can get a pencil through it, forget Ku.

On the 6' there is like 5 holes under the penny and on the 10' it is just 3 1/2 or so.

What do you guys think? Do I now have a $20 10' C band dish?

Attachments

• 10footmesh.jpg
    10footmesh.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 6footmesh.jpg
    6footmesh.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)