DISH for RV

CamTV

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
West Coast
Going to do a Hopper / Joey set up for an RV.

It will be for occasional use. If I own the Hopper and Joey, how easy is it to activate them and deactivate when not using the RV?

Does not seem to be a way to do this via the MyDish account management so would you need to call in each time?

I have a Hopper 3 and a Joey 3 for my home. These are part of my original package and they are leased. I also have a Wally for the motorhome which I activate and deactivate easily using Dish Chat.

Going to do a Hopper / Joey set up for an RV.

It will be for occasional use. If I own the Hopper and Joey, how easy is it to activate them and deactivate when not using the RV?

Does not seem to be a way to do this via the MyDish account management so would you need to call in each time?
Are you purchasing the equipment or leasing it. Purchased equipment can be deactivated/activated in MyDish, but leased equipment cannot. Here's a screen capture of the MyDish app on my phone.

RY0Tm97l.jpg

Reactions: harshness
Also, if you are not planning on using your RV Dish setup at home, the Dish Outdoor program allows you to start and stop the service from the App and pay a month at a time. It requires the Tailgater automatic dish, though.

I found this out when Dish converted our Pay As You Go account to a residential account. We have it at our family cabin and each sibling would pay with their CC for the month they were in residence. Pretty fair and easy, and the service would terminate after the prepaid month was up.

So, we now need to “pause” this account and pay $5/mo to keep the account alive. So we just need to share this $5/mo charge between the family members.

This thread should be in the Dish Forum, not the SatelliteGuys Support Center forum.

Also, if you are not planning on using your RV Dish setup at home, the Dish Outdoor program allows you to start and stop the service from the App and pay a month at a time. It requires the Tailgater automatic dish, though.
I've never owned a Tailgater, and have used a 1000.4 dish on my Outdoor account for years. There are much better choices than the Tailgater, and many RV'ers use them with their Outdoor account.

Are you purchasing the equipment or leasing it. Purchased equipment can be deactivated/activated in MyDish, but leased equipment cannot. Here's a screen capture of the MyDish app on my phone.

View attachment 148614
This would be great if I could do this from the app. I have IOS and can't find this screen in the app. I see Equipment but then it just shows all my receivers both leased and ones I owned but no choice to activate or deactivate. Could it be that I have leased receivers on the account? or could it be something not available on IOS? I also can't find a way when logging into MYDISH on a computer.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 154
Of you have leased equipment, it cannot be deactivated/activated with MyDish no matter whether it's a phone app or a PC. I don't know what happens if you have a mixture. All of my equipment is owned:

8kX5ZpNl.jpg

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
Of you have leased equipment, it cannot be deactivated/activated with MyDish no matter whether it's a phone app or a PC. I don't know what happens if you have a mixture. All of my equipment is owned:

View attachment 148622
Hum, this option in "Turn Receivers ON/OF" does not show up for me.

I am chatting with DISH support now and they are telling me that;

"There is no option to add receiver and remove the receiver via online. Unless your account is Dish outdoor."

Hum, this option in "Turn Receivers ON/OF" does not show up for me.

I am chatting with DISH support now and they are telling me that;

"There is no option to add receiver and remove the receiver via online. Unless your account is Dish outdoor."
They are correct... And a Dish Outdoor account requires owned equipment.

Reactions: Foxbat
Thanks. I am buying another Hopper3 and Joey for an RV. Should I just add them to my current account and then deactivate them when not using the RV. AKA I take the RV for the weekend and turn them on and then turn them both off. Would I just pay a prorated amount for the days in the month they were turned on? No need for DISH Outdoors if I have a primary DISH account already right since you have to pay in monthly increments with DISH outdoors?

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks. I am buying another Hopper3 and Joey for an RV. Should I just add them to my current account and then deactivate them when not using the RV. AKA I take the RV for the weekend and turn them on and then turn them both off. Would I just pay a prorated amount for the days in the month they were turned on? No need for DISH Outdoors if I have a primary DISH account already right since you have to pay in monthly increments with DISH outdoors?
Yes, that is exactly how it works. In fact, if you only use them for part of a day (turning them back off the same day they were turned on) then you would not pay any extra amount, since the prorated credit would completely offset the prorated charge.

Reactions: NYDutch
Since we never stop our Dish service, the primary advantage of our Outdoor account for me is the ease in switching locals as we move around. Tap a few buttons on the app and it's done. I don't even need to know the address where we are since the app uses the phone's GPS to determine that.

Since we never stop our Dish service, the primary advantage of our Outdoor account for me is the ease in switching locals as we move around. Tap a few buttons on the app and it's done. I don't even need to know the address where we are since the app uses the phone's GPS to determine that.
Yes, this is the main reason why I had Dish change my account to an Outdoor account. (I guess kind of the opposite of the change that Foxbat described earlier.) The ability to turn purchased receivers on and off is just a nice bonus.

Reactions: NYDutch
Yes, this is the main reason why I had Dish change my account to an Outdoor account. (I guess kind of the opposite of the change that Foxbat described earlier.) The ability to turn purchased receivers on and off is just a nice bonus.
I like to check MyDish after a locals change to see what service address was assigned to us. At one national forest campground in Florida we near the end of the property and were assigned the address for the Dollar General on the other side of the state highway... :)

They are not correct, at least for my account. I do not have Dish Outdoor. I do have 2 purchased 4k Joeys and one purchased Wally, along with a leased H3. The option to turn them on and off appears in the My Equipment page of my.dish.com on my PC. I have used that page to turn off the Wally which I use occasionally with a Playmaker antenna in the RV.

1604598286489.png

I believe they should have said that you can only turn on/off receivers on customer owned equipment..Now with that being said can you only turn on/off the owned equipment??Have you tried turning off the hopper?? I can't see how they could let you turn that off

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
I believe they should have said that you can only turn on/off receivers on customer owned equipment..Now with that being said can you only turn on/off the owned equipment??Have you tried turning off the hopper?? I can't see how they could let you turn that off
With some of the strange things I have seen with Dish's site, I could very well see them allowing the Hopper to be turned off, allowing the Joeys to stay turned on (even though they would no longer work) and continuing to charge the monthly fees accordingly. :biggrin

• Haha
Reactions: Foxbat and Tvland1
We just used a regular account. We used Dish Chat to change locations when we wanted to in just a couple of minutes. A spot beam often covered a couple of stops and we only cared about receiving locals, not where they came from. A big advantage of Chat is we could choose the Zipcode we wanted to use as long as it was in the Spot Beam. The app uses the smartphone GPS as your location. Why? Sometimes there are blocked broadcast channels at the exact Zipcode we were at.

We had a Winegard Trav'ler automatic roof disk with a DPH-42 switch and a ground tripod for places with trees with both WA and EA LNBF head. The tripod also allowed us to use the EA which the zTrav'ler could not do.

Reactions: Tvland1
Wouldn't surprise me one bit
I hope someone here will try turning off the hopper once just to see what happens
I have two owned Hoppers on my account, and I have deactivated one of them for a time and then reactivated it using the app. There were no problems and my account was properly credited for the time it was off. If I tried to deactivate both Hoppers at the same time, I expect it would be treated as suspending service. Since I have an Outdoor account, I can effectively deactivate everything of course, just by not paying the next month's tab...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)