DISH FORCING me to get a TECH visit for a receiver swap !!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
At the end of March ends phase one of the equipment swap out. Phase two will be swapping out other equipment that was not included in Phase one. :)

Kewl,I sure hope they swap out these 38/3900 receivers with 211's!

Man I really should have multiquoted!Instead of replying to one post at a time.:facepalm

"...not sure why I need to go to eastern arc..."

It's a [strike]state[/strike] Scott secret!

Kewl,I sure hope they swap out these 38/3900 receivers with 211's!
Not sure what they are swapping them out with.

Just imagine, if they get everyone on 8PSK boxes and change the QPSK channels to 8PSK channels how much room that opens up... Now imagine if everyone has MPEG4 boxes and they convert all the QPSK signals to MPEG4 how much room that opens.

I am sure one of data wizz's can figure out and give us a rough estimate. :D

8PSK makes for about 30% more throughput vs QPSK. MPEG4 on average consumes 50% less bandwidth than MPEG2.

So we will have 30% more throughput whenever the 8PSK conversion is complete, then (years down the road) when they flip the SD to MPEG4, the SD channels will consume 50% less bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

8PSK makes for about 30% more throughput vs QPSK. MPEG4 on average consumes 50% less bandwidth than MPEG2.

So we will have 30% more throughput whenever the 8PSK conversion is complete, then (years down the road) when they flip the SD to MPEG4, the SD channels will consume 50% less bandwidth.

Ok now one other possible thing to throw in here... that that is DVB-S2 which gives them more bandwidth as well. They are already doing this on some transponders on the Eastern Arc.

Attachments

• dvbs2.jpg
    dvbs2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 260
It could be possible that Dish could free up some space by not simulcasting both EA and WA of the same locals, but I suspect it would be pretty minimal. They would have to move enough markets off spot beam transponders to be able to convert some back to national coverage.

It could be possible that Dish could free up some space by not simulcasting both EA and WA of the same locals, but I suspect it would be pretty minimal.
The spot beams would likely go to waste otherwise.
They would have to move enough markets off spot beam transponders to be able to convert some back to national coverage.
Spot beams cannot be converted to CONUS nor vice versa.

We've been hearing about the impending WA 8PSK conversion for a long time now so maybe they're finally getting everything in line. My 508 DVR credit only lasts for another four months. ;)

The spot beams would likely go to waste otherwise.Spot beams cannot be converted to CONUS nor vice versa.

We've been hearing about the impending WA 8PSK conversion for a long time now so maybe they're finally getting everything in line. My 508 DVR credit only lasts for another four months. ;)

Actually the can be converted and Dish does it. Spot beams work by taking a transponder and moving its transmission from an antenna that has national coverage to a group of antennas that each point to a different region. If lets say TP X is currently being used for spot beams they move all the markets off of that TP frequency by either using a different arc or a different spot TP that might have space. Once that TP frequency is not being used by any spot beam, they simply put it on the national antenna.

As channel assignments now stand, the OP will be losing at most his HD locals if he stays on WA and his locals are dropped from WA. Well, I suppose he could lose his SD locals as well... Anyhow, Scott, are you saying that Dish is up to something even more dramatic at the end of the month that would prevent the OP from receiving all the national channels from either arc?

I'm being stubborn because as i mentioned in the original post, i can't see the eastern arc from where the dish is at, and i don't want the dish moved to where it WOULD see it because that would be in the front of my house. No thanks.
I had to plop my Dish in the middle of the backyard. That eventually led to some creative landscaping in order to make the Dish actually not stand out. If you can, I'd keep it low to the ground and do a small bushy garden around it.

I'm just going to get a DPP-62 switch (they make those) and have a dish pointed to every satellite operated by Echostar. That way I'll be sure to get all the channels. ...and also the neighbors will love me when I have all those dishes and cables scattered around the yard. ...gettin' redneckafied! (I can say that because I'm from Georgia, home of Honey Boo-Boo.) Eastern arc or western arc? Don't matter because I've got them both! YEE HAW.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

By which time HEVC will be out. Always playing catchup. Can't be avoided.

I'm just going to get a DPP-62 switch (they make those) and have a dish pointed to every satellite operated by Echostar. That way I'll be sure to get all the channels. ...and also the neighbors will love me when I have all those dishes and cables scattered around the yard. ...gettin' redneckafied! (I can say that because I'm from Georgia, home of Honey Boo-Boo.) Eastern arc or western arc? Don't matter because I've got them both! YEE HAW.

You forgot to add this: :D

Well not surprisingly, my scheduled appointment came and went with no contact, no phone call, and no technician.

I burned 4 hours of work time and had to go to work with this unresolved.

I told the wife if he showed up to tell him to leave and his services were no longer required.

Last edited:
Let's hope you don't come to regret this decision.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

How would i regret it? I have paid this company something like $15,000 over the last 15 years. They aren't going to scare me.

And another thing, if they're so hot to get me on eastern arc, why the heck did they send me a replacement 311? I'm pretty sure it won't work on that set of birds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)