Dish/Fox Resolve Dispute

Naw, it's Bush's fault! :haha
I fail to see what the Story of the Exodus has to do with carriage agreements between Dish Network and Television Channel providers. Only Directv was around back then.

Exodus 8:17-18 said:
And then Moses waved his staff and reduced ESPN (Egyptian Sports Programming Network) carriage fees. Directv's sorcerers tried however could only manage a short-term extension deal to work towards a final agreement.
I'm paraphrasing here, been a while since studying it.

Your comment misses the point, which is we are losing a feature that we were sold by DISH. Many that use it like it. Not that we can't press the skip button, but the precision of Auto Hop coming in at the beginning of the show and skipping between scenes during commercials is slick and addictive. You always find yourself skipping past the start and then back etc which is just annoying after getting used to Auto Hop, a feature Dish sold us and then scaled back on. In the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal, but not having it until the 8th day is annoying to those that like to use it. I am not too lazy to press the button, I prefer Auto Hopping.
But we are not losing anything. The feature is still there on all 4 networks. There has never been a threat of it disappearing.

To answer a previous question about how long till we lose the ability for 7 days on all channels... Awhile since Dish signed the 3 days with ABC O&O only.

Dish's line of thought on why PTAT recordings don't go to the "recycle bin" could be that the user didn't fully request that each episode be deleted. If it's a program or episode that's really wanted, they expect you to "save" it manually. If you do that, then delete it, it will go in that folder where it can be un-deleted if wanted.
But isn't that the point of a "recycle bin": to be able to restore events that we didn't request be deleted? Perhaps the PTAT folder could have its own separate "Deleted Recordings" folder to keep the automatic deletions from getting mixed in with events we actually intended to delete.

When you delete a PTAT event, it doesn't actually delete. You can search for it, and it will appear. It only deleted after the time passes.

When you delete a PTAT event, it doesn't actually delete. You can search for it, and it will appear. It only deleted after the time passes.
Right. The point of this discussion is that we should have more time before the time passes, since we have to wait at least a week to see if AutoHop will be available. Whether that means moving PTAT events to a separate folder after eight days, or simply extending the length of time to save PTAT events to ten days instead of eight, PTAT events should not be allowed to expire only a day or less after AutoHop first becomes available.

Reactions: ralfyguy
You have to select it for each series, but only have to do it once per series. Just like a regular recording. Remember, PTAT has been around longer than Autohop. Autohop was added months after the hopper and PTAT release. The PTAT 8 days has been consistent since day one.

I did not know that you can save them from auto delete. I have been watching the older shows first just because I didn't want to lose them.
Me too. That is why I keep my PTAT folder sorted by date instead of alphabetically. Unfortunately, if there is more than one episode of a series, the old recordings get grouped with the newest one toward the top of the list, making it harder to see at-a-glance what shows are about to be deleted. That is why I suggested having the oldest PTAT recordings get moved to a "recycle bin," so I could check that folder first, before checking the PTAT folder. If there is going to be a one-week delay on adding AutoHop, I could only check the "recycle bin" and ignore the PTAT folder completely, since most of those events would not have AutoHop yet.

Me too. That is why I keep my PTAT folder sorted by date instead of alphabetically. Unfortunately, if there is more than one episode of a series, the old recordings get grouped with the newest one toward the top of the list, making it harder to see at-a-glance what shows are about to be deleted. That is why I suggested having the oldest PTAT recordings get moved to a "recycle bin," so I could check that folder first, before checking the PTAT folder. If there is going to be a one-week delay on adding AutoHop, I could only check the "recycle bin" and ignore the PTAT folder completely, since most of those events would not have AutoHop yet.
That's what I did. Sorting by date, so I know what I have to watch away first to not lose it. I'm gonna save all my PTAT recordings now, so I can watch them in peace when I get a chance.

we should have more time before the time passes, since we have to wait at least a week to see if AutoHop will be available.
I agree that an option for extending the time before they're auto-deleted is more warranted now as 2 of the 4 networks don't "hop" until (7) days after they are aired and are auto-deleted a day later, but this can add up to a lot of space required. Worst case that's (3) hours of programming x (4) networks x (7) days (or is it (8) days?).

Dish's solution to this would no doubt be to use "Save series".

The other thing to keep in mind is the shows are still watchable and the 30-second skip button still works.

My CBS shows are not available until after then next week's shows are recorded. As I type this, last week's Blue Bloods recorded last Friday does not have Auto Hop even though this week's episode is now recording. So that is more than 7 full days after recording. Not sure exactly what time the roo shows up but for practical purposes it is 8 days.

I agree that an option for extending the time before they're auto-deleted is more warranted now as 2 of the 4 networks don't "hop" until (7) days after they are aired and are auto-deleted a day later, but this can add up to a lot of space required. Worst case that's (3) hours of programming x (4) networks x (7) days (or is it (8) days?).

Dish's solution to this would no doubt be to use "Save series".

The other thing to keep in mind is the shows are still watchable and the 30-second skip button still works.
According to the percentage used indicator at the top of the DVR menu screen, the entire eight days of PTAT usually only takes up 20 percent or less of the total hard drive space. This is true even during football season when PTAT tends to run over four hours long on Sundays. So, adding a day or two probably wouldn't use up that much more hard drive space.

I also thought of another suggestion to help make it easier to find all of the AutoHop events at-a-glance. How about giving us an option to automatically group all of the events with AutoHop in their own separate AutoHop folder? I looked through all of the various sorting and filter options I could find, and AutoHop vs. non-AutoHop was not one of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts