Dish Grounding

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrSkeet

Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
I am setting up a new dish. How important is it to ground the dish? It is not near the house and is mounted approximately 50 feet away on a steel fence pole in the ground. If it needs to be grounded, would a grounding rod sunk in the ground next to the pole suffice? Thanks. :confused:

Grounding Wire

OK, the reason that the pole is 50 feet from house is because the coax wire is already run from the pole to the house. The problem is the coax was run under a paved driveway. If I sink a grounding rod next to the mounting pole and ground the dish to that would it be ok to run a #6 copper wire from the grounding rod to the house ground? Or is that too long of a run? The current coax wire that is run under the paved driveway does not have a ground wire attached to it. So I will be running a separate #6 wire.

Should be good........

The Mast.........

"The length is not restricted, but it must be connected (the more proper term is bonded) to an approved grounding point."

Hey Pete - if he's bonding to the home ground won't the ground rod be un-necessary?

I'm doing something similar with my dish pole. I ran a #10 solid copper ground from the pole to the house (150') and I'll add a ground block for the coax there as well.

This will satisfy NEC, right?

In addition there is a ground in the actuator bundle that I plan on grounding to the same place. If the servo motor bundle has a provision for ground I'll ground that to the house ground as well.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

I'm sure this has been beaten to death already, but if the dish is mounted on a steel pole, which is in the ground, is it not by definition already grounded?

Maybe by definition but NOT to local and NEC code. IMO its always worth going the extra mile, for peace of mind at least.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts