DISH guide and menu is...weird. Screen flashes when scrolling through options.

CapnDickBlack

Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
New Mexico
I have several receivers. Only a few do this. I'm not even sure I have a good way to describe the problem. When going to the guide or menu, then pressing up or down, the screen will switch the view to show some of the graphics from the previous screen and the highlighted option is not visible. Press again and the guide or menu switches back to the view one would expect except in addition to the second from the bottom menu selection being highlighted, the last menu option is highlighted as well. On the receivers that have this issue, when tuned to an XM station, there are trailing artifacts after the floating information window. The images shown below are in order.

Press Guide:
20160604_122728.png

Press down arrow:
20160604_122732.png

Press menu:
20160604_122808.png

Press up arrow:
20160604_122813.png

Press up arrow again:
20160604_122817.png

One more time:
20160604_122824.png

View of an XM station with song info window trailing artifacts (these vertical line artifacts flash and alternate with each step as the floating window moves across the screen).
20160604_122948.png

I tried factory settings reset and have searched through the menu and I haven't found anything that appears to be related. I've tried setting different television resolutions but they all behave the same.

How can I fix this? The guide in particular is rather annoying since it is used a lot.

Even though I'm no electrician a ground loop could cause issues with electronics and possibly an electrical outlets where the receivers are doing this are not wired correctly, (or even a faulty ground on the receiver end*) or it could be a heat problem caused by having your receiver tightly enclosed or other electronics stacked on it. The more I look at that "double yellow selected indicator" makes me believe that it's probably not a faulty cable.

I have a Dell monitor where I had to use one of those adapters to actually remove the ground from the outlet because my monitor gets "interference" lines through it when plugged directly into the wall and/or surge protector.

Really other than saying your receiver is biting the dust, this is all that comes to my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)