Dish had to be on the north side of our house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This makes some optimistic assumptions about the OP's telephony capabilities. An installer worth their weight in pigeon droppings should have a much more trustworthy solution (inclinometer). Experience in the region doesn't hurt either.

I don't own a smart phone and I've never seen one that had the DishPointer application installed on it. I have little doubt that it is a great tool, but the support equipment is a lot expensive if you don't already have such a phone (or an iPod Touch -- I don't have one of those either).

Chip,

That app is better than a clinometer / compass! It also shows background LOS problems. So you see the sats and the trees,buildings and hills that block the signal. I thought the laser pointers were great but the picture is worth...about twenty minutes of BS with a cx who will not hear. Especially when it often turns out the cx does not own the ground where the blockage lies.

Joe

Harshness, so first you claim that a smartphone app isn't as good as an inclinometer, then you say you have never even used one! Care to explain to those of us who have, including the above quoted installer, how you know better than we do?

I didn't say that the smart phone was inferior. I simply offered that it isn't safe to assume that everyone has a smart phone and it is good to know that there are other options that will give you a quick read of the situation.

I have a smart phone (iPhone) but wouldn't I have to be up on the roof to use the app? I've falled off a ladder twice and don't much care for roofs or heights.

I have a smart phone (iPhone) but wouldn't I have to be up on the roof to use the app? I've falled off a ladder twice and don't much care for roofs or heights.

No, better if you are on the ground anyway. The app I used was with an Android phone but there are several co get ont that is compatible with your phone. What you will see a series of satellites presented as yellow dots with their identification number AND you will see a camera pic of where you are viewing. If the yellow dot is on clear sky you place the dish along that line. If the yellow dot aligns with a tree or building you are screwed...but you will know why.

I looked at the sat pic of your home and it looks like the original installer was correct. The dish has to go either in your front yard on a pole or on the edge of the front roof. It looks like all back yard locations are blocked by trees...........and I think they are showing the wrong sat but close enough.

Joe

I didn't say that the smart phone was inferior. I simply offered that it isn't safe to assume that everyone has a smart phone and it is good to know that there are other options that will give you a quick read of the situation.

Okay, then you said an inclinometer is more trustworthy. You certainly implied an inclinometer is better. Besides, I'd guess that more people have access to a smart phone and therefore the dishpointer app, compared to how many have or can get an inclinometer.

Thanks. It turns out the dish would be pointed northwest rather than southwest as I thought. Here is a screen shot. The dish location is on the north side where the installer said it has to go. It seems like the south side below the peak of the roof along the same line would work. I might call DirecTV and have them come back and indicate to me what tree is blocking it. I could probably have it taken down.

View attachment 79559
Reset this shot for the Directv 101 and you will get an azimuth a little more west....right into a tree near your building.Can't tell about elevation clearing that tree.

Joe

Like Joe said, you can use it from the ground. Take a view from the north side of your house behind where the dish might be and check the screen that shows where the satellites are. Line up the 101 satellite with where the dish might go and you can easily see if you will clear any trees. By moving around your house you may find a place where you have a good line of sight. Because you are in the Albany dma, for Directv to do the install you will need to be able to get the 119 satellite as well as 99, 101, 103, and 110. If you can only get 99, 101, and 103, an independent will probable do it, but you won't be able to get your sd local channels, only the hd ones. Most people wouldn't care about that, but it might make a difference to you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here's the view from the front (north side) of my house. The first installer wanted to put it on the lower left corner of the roof. If that's my only choice I guess I'll go with that. Making an appointment in a few minutes. fr_189.jpg

Looks like my installation will be by:

Home Entertainment Systems Installations
77 1B Berlin Rd
Cromwell, CT 06416
(866) 492-5409
http://www.hesic.net

Here's the view from the front (north side) of my house. The first installer wanted to put it on the lower left corner of the roof. If that's my only choice I guess I'll go with that. Making an appointment in a few minutes.View attachment 79737

It looks like you will be good to go. I'm guessing the lower left corner will give you the longest time before those trees could be an issue.

LUCK! Make sure to let us know how it goes.

Installation was done yesterday. Front of the house but doesn't look bad. Took him 4-1/2 hours and he did a nice job. Very pleased with the receiver, blends well with the rest of my equipment. Works very well and am happy. Disappointed that no Golf Channel with my package. Looking forward to watching the Steelers. Over the two year contract saving $1,390.48 over Time-Warner cable.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Great news Joe! Did he use an sl3 or sl5 lnb? That is, do you have 110 and 119 on your signal strength screens?

BTW, who's smartphone has the dishpointer app that you posted the picture from?

That was my iPhone. My wife and son have one too and my daughter has a Samsung that looks like a waffle. I'll check tonight if it's sl3 or sl5 lnb.

Interesting that we had two thunderstorms yesterday and the connection went down both times.

I was surprised that the installer didn't say anything about the wireless adapter that I need to hook up. Ordered one after the install. I have a HTPC next to my TV that is wireless and I'd like to run a CAT5 cable to it from my cable modem upstairs. Spent a couple hours running a fish tape through the wall with a buddy yesterday but no luck.

Here's a picture of Nigel doing the install.

fr_193.jpg

Installation was done yesterday. Front of the house but doesn't look bad. Took him 4-1/2 hours and he did a nice job. Very pleased with the receiver, blends well with the rest of my equipment. Works very well and am happy. Disappointed that no Golf Channel with my package. Looking forward to watching the Steelers. Over the two year contract saving $1,390.48 over Time-Warner cable.

Thanks everybody for your help!

You should have told them you were a Steeler fan and your case would have been expedited.

"Interesting that we had two thunderstorms yesterday and the connection went down both times."

If those storms were anything like the ones that went through Western Ma yesterday they were nasty!!!
behindsofa.gif

When DirectTV did the install for me a few weeks ago, he told me oh no you'll never have to use your OTA again, you have locals now (DISH didn't/doesn't for my area ) I was like no I need my OTA for when the signal goes out. I was assured it hardly EVER/NEVER goes out. Well it does go out less than DISH but I need OTA yesterday!! :D I've learned not to trust everything anyone tells me :).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)