Dish has dropped local ABC- prorated credit?

My problem is that Dish seems to have no interest in getting this taken care of and has not responded to Citadel. You obviously have no clue what is going on here and have taken sides with Dish. Dish was given the contract six months ago and did not respond until a couple days before the due date. He obviously gives a crap about the people in these four cities. We should never be denied locals and it seems these channels have had no problem with Direct and our local cable in the past. And yes we do feel deprived ... I am missing channel 4 (CBS) and the others are missing their ABC channels .... and with the football season right around the corner. Many are locked into contracts and can't make a change. It is now going on a month and still in a stalemate. Great customer service Charlie!
You have an opinion. You stated Dish "seems"..You do not know . Nor do you have any proof. Then you conclude I am clueless about the situation. Where is your proof that allows you to state on here that Dish "Dish did not respond"?
I never stated I had knowledge of the issue betwen Dish and the broadcaster. I was simply stating how contracts work. Period.

"We should never be denied locals and it seems these channels have had no problem with Direct and our local cable in the past. And yes we do feel deprived"..

Ok...that is an opinion. Once again you are not being "denied" anything. Dish does not have a cpontract with the station in question. That is the issue.
What you "feel' is immaterial. You state that Directv has no problems and neither does the cable outlet. So there's your answer. You are not being denied anyhting. You have choices. Three in fact. Directv, cable or an OTA.
Now, if you are nbeing charged fo rthat channel, you have a legitimate beef. But if you're not paying for something your not getting, then you are pissing into the wind.
I look at it this way, no one is innocent when it comes to these disputes. The provider is demanding a rate increase. The delivery company is balking at paying said increase. My opinion is the companies should go to the table and work it out for the customers sake.
But this whining and carping about the satellite company depriving you is not valid.

Cable companies get in carriage disputes with the local channels. It happened here. Cable and DIRECTV could be showing the channel because their contract is not up yet, and Dish's contract was up for renewal.

The local stations see cable and DBS as a new cash cow, they see a new source of revenue. The National Broacasters Association has the pull in Congress to get the law passed that allows them to withhold their signal.

The other side of this of course is that carrying the local stations brings in subs to both cable and DBS, so why should the local stations not get the cash since they are bringing in the customers... All that new HD equipment is expensive...

Dish has demonstrated over and over they do not care how long the contract disputes take to be resolved they do not budge on price.

I think that I have figured out an answer to this situation.
I am going to email all three of OTHER Networks affiliates in Sioux City. KMEG, KPTH, and KTIV and tell them that I have another home in Minneapolis, and have decided to "MOVE" home to Minneapolis, and thanks to KCAU, I will NOT be supporting THEIR sponsors either...
Maybe a little LOCAL persuasion will help.
I can "MOVE" to get my networks from another City.

I think that I have figured out an answer to this situation.
I am going to email all three of OTHER Networks affiliates in Sioux City. KMEG, KPTH, and KTIV and tell them that I have another home in Minneapolis, and have decided to "MOVE" home to Minneapolis, and thanks to KCAU, I will NOT be supporting THEIR sponsors either...
Maybe a little LOCAL persuasion will help.
I can "MOVE" to get my networks from another City.
Good idea..threaten to hit them in the bank account. I am firm believer of a consumer using his wallet as a weapon.

Just some thoughts

It seems from the perspective that I'm seeing out here that only one of the stations in your area is demanding more money than the rest. So if E* were to give into them for more money than standard carriage fees then they could have to negotiate with every station on an individual basis. Then that would mean they would have to negotiate with 1340 stations individual. That is 335 DMA's times 4 for the networks. That doesn't count the places where E* carries more than the big 4. So that would be a lot of negotiations. Not really practical for the company.

As far as a local schedule for the stations you are on a computer right now so use it for the schedule. Titan TV carries schedules for all of the DMA's, I believe.

So for those that can get the locals OTA that is good but for the missing nets as it has been suggested "MOVE". Then you can get all of the big 4 nets. For those that can't pick it up I feel sorry for you cause you are either stuck with getting the big 4 from somewhere else and no real locals or staying with the locals and not getting ABC network.

You have an opinion. You stated Dish "seems"..You do not know . Nor do you have any proof. Then you conclude I am clueless about the situation. Where is your proof that allows you to state on here that Dish "Dish did not respond"?
I never stated I had knowledge of the issue betwen Dish and the broadcaster. I was simply stating how contracts work. Period.

"We should never be denied locals and it seems these channels have had no problem with Direct and our local cable in the past. And yes we do feel deprived"..

Ok...that is an opinion. Once again you are not being "denied" anything. Dish does not have a cpontract with the station in question. That is the issue.
What you "feel' is immaterial. You state that Directv has no problems and neither does the cable outlet. So there's your answer. You are not being denied anyhting. You have choices. Three in fact. Directv, cable or an OTA.
Now, if you are nbeing charged fo rthat channel, you have a legitimate beef. But if you're not paying for something your not getting, then you are pissing into the wind.
I look at it this way, no one is innocent when it comes to these disputes. The provider is demanding a rate increase. The delivery company is balking at paying said increase. My opinion is the companies should go to the table and work it out for the customers sake.
But this whining and carping about the satellite company depriving you is not valid.

No choices .. there is a contract. I AM being denied because it HAS been taken off......... as well as the guide information by Dish for my OTA!! You can think what you want and I'll look at it a different way. I guess we will beg to differ.

Last edited:
I'm in Sioux City- can I "move" to Minneapolis based on spotbeam coverage? Also- if I "move" I still obviously receive local OTA but I don't get the guide data- right? That isn't really that bad b/c we don't get KCAU guide data anyway and the news is the only "local" programming we watch.

I should also add that Sioux City doesn't get HD for any local channels with Dish and it would be nice to get HD networks for multiple tuners.

I had a lengthy conversation with the CEO of KTIV (NBC affiliate) today and he is not involved with this pissing match going on with E* and KCAU. He did tell me that all of the Sioux CIty locals will go blank in Feb of '09 when the whole DTV transformation happens, he admitted that they are giving E* their ANALOG signal at the current time, so when that goes dark, E* will not be getting any locals from Sioux City, Ia.

Is this true around the country? If E* carries an Analog (SD) Local, they will HAVE to have it converted to DIgital in Feb?

He also told me that Direct TV has already signed a deal with 3 of the 4 locals for offering the HD signal as soon as they go LIVE with Sioux City Locals. (No date set)
Guess which HD signal they haven't got locked in yet.

Pardon me for being a tad off the subject, but since we're talking OTA locals, why doesn't our UNC(blah)TV PBS EVER have any shows "broken down" on the guide? All of the other channels through my OTA are "broken down" and display the program/times on the respective channels..? All it (PBS) ever says is "Digital Service". Granted, all I ever tune in for is some educational programming for the youngsters, but I get tired of having to go to their website and scroll through a week's worth of programming to find times/dates for 3 shows. :rolleyes:
Tune to channel 26 from GSO. My guide shows it fine.

I had a lengthy conversation with the CEO of KTIV (NBC affiliate) today and he is not involved with this pissing match going on with E* and KCAU. He did tell me that all of the Sioux CIty locals will go blank in Feb of '09 when the whole DTV transformation happens, he admitted that they are giving E* their ANALOG signal at the current time, so when that goes dark, E* will not be getting any locals from Sioux City, Ia.

Is this true around the country? If E* carries an Analog (SD) Local, they will HAVE to have it converted to DIgital in Feb?

He also told me that Direct TV has already signed a deal with 3 of the 4 locals for offering the HD signal as soon as they go LIVE with Sioux City Locals. (No date set)
Guess which HD signal they haven't got locked in yet.

I find the last part really interesting since KCAU's website is stating they are trying to pressure Directv to offer Sioux City locals sooner- since KCAU won't be on Directv anyway without an agreement. It really looks like Citadel must be unreasonable.

Also- there better be a plan to get digital signals to Dish by the cutoff- I know I'm not staying with dish if I lose all locals in 5 months.

** DES MOINES Needs Your Help **

Anyone & everyone... Please call this # 515-457-9645 ext. 127. Voice your concerns with WOI President & General Manager Ray Cole.

Even if you're not from Iowa, the more complaints/concerns that he hears the better!

WOI is imposing an unreasonable rate increase and DishNetwork does not want this increase to impact their customers.

WOI News Sucks! Nobody watches their station other than scheduled programming!

We need your help! Please call, it is greatly appreciated!

Ray Cole is the President of Cidadel, they own several stations that are effected by this. Sioux City, Des Moines, Quad Cities. Lincoln, Neb. Citadel is the guilty party here. Which also explains why they haven't made a deal with Direct TV yet too. That should prove that THIS time it is NOT Dish Network's fault.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware this affected DirecTV too. There are a lot of unhappy customers, there is no way anything good can come out of this for these stations & Ray, he's in a lose-lose situation.

His voicemail must be full, I just tried to call again and didn't even ask me to leave a message this time.

I noticed Dish had the guide info back for KCAU last night. Still no Dish provided KCAU but the guide data is an improvement for those that can get OTA. I am starting to think that there will not be any agreement reached- it's been quite some time now.

You'll most likely see it here first when they come back on line. They have to change the "Available" tag on the uplink report before you can see the station back online.
I think that E* has went foward in the Program guide and removed the programming for a 4-5 day period, so they could put up their "Important News" tag on that channels guide.
I THINK they will simply update that BEFORE the time of day that displays programming.

Guide info gone again for Sioux City.:(

The local channel website, KCAU, had weekly updates until August 25. None since then. It doesn't look like there is a happy ending.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)