dish has no signal

madatme

Original poster
Oct 4, 2020
ohio
hello, new to the forum, the problem i have is no signal. I had dish installed on May 30 2020 and it has worked well until a few days ago when the message says no signal with the big gray box on the screen, im using a hopper on the system, i did check cables and connections and it work the day before it died, i called dish and they ask to do a reset and i told them i already did that(5 resets) so the female said they need to send out a technician for $95 bucks because i dont have there protection plan at 9.95 a month, i ask dont you have a warranty and she said only the equipment, holly crap now they want to bang me for 95 bucks, i do have a walley that i use for dish outdoors and currently watching tv that way, would the walley hook up to my home system for test purpose, i think dish is trying to stab me, any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time

hello, new to the forum, the problem i have is no signal. I had dish installed on May 30 2020 and it has worked well until a few days ago when the message says no signal with the big gray box on the screen, im using a hopper on the system, i did check cables and connections and it work the day before it died, i called dish and they ask to do a reset and i told them i already did that(5 resets) so the female said they need to send out a technician for $95 bucks because i dont have there protection plan at 9.95 a month, i ask dont you have a warranty and she said only the equipment, holly crap now they want to bang me for 95 bucks, i do have a walley that i use for dish outdoors and currently watching tv that way, would the walley hook up to my home system for test purpose, i think dish is trying to stab me, any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time
There will be more (and better experts) around shortly, but what Dish is the Wally hooked up to? Does the Wally get a signal where it currently is? Is hit hooked to the same Dish? If those two answers are "yes", then I would put the Wally where your Hopper is. If the Wally is hooked up to a different Dish, go ahead and swap them.

As far as Dish trying to "stab" you... that's their policy... if you don't have the protection plan, then it's $95 for the truck roll. BUT, I think you can sign up for the protection plan for a minimum number of months (3?), get the tech out to fix your issue, then cancel the protection plan.

There will be more (and better experts) around shortly, but what Dish is the Wally hooked up to? Does the Wally get a signal where it currently is? Is hit hooked to the same Dish? If those two answers are "yes", then I would put the Wally where your Hopper is. If the Wally is hooked up to a different Dish, go ahead and swap them.

As far as Dish trying to "stab" you... that's their policy... if you don't have the protection plan, then it's $95 for the truck roll. BUT, I think you can sign up for the protection plan for a minimum number of months (3?), get the tech out to fix your issue, then cancel the protection plan.
the walley is currently hooked up to the pathwayx2 and is working, thats how im currently watching tv, the girl did ask if i wanted to signup for the protection plan and i said no at this time, i guess i will hook up the walley to my home system and see what happens, i just cant believe they dont have a 6 month or something to cover a incident so i guess if after a day or a week it dies your stuck paying, thanks for your time

Reactions: TheKrell
I wonder if the technician comes out and finds the Hopper is defective, would the "equipment warranty" cover the cost of the visit.

Reactions: pattykay
I wonder if the technician comes out and finds the Hopper is defective, would the "equipment warranty" cover the cost of the visit.
the girl on the phone said no, only the defective part, so no warranty on the service call, like i said if it dies in one day or a week your stuck, what a shame

we had spectrum cable and i cancelled there service to make things cheaper and use a portable dish, my wife HATES dish as i type

• Sad
the girl on the phone said no, only the defective part, so no warranty on the service call, like i said if it dies in one day or a week your stuck, what a shame
So if you signed up for Dish in May, you get the insurance for free for 3 months which means you'd be $9 or $18 into the insurance. Frankly, unless someone is a power user that knows how to do many things themselves, my own personal feeling is, get the insurance. Not only does it get you out of the $95 truck roll, but you also get Identity theft notifications via Lifelock and 10% off the other services we offer and sell. Even with the $95 fee, you're possibly still saving money in the long run over a 2-year contract with Spectrum or DTV, et al.

Do people try to negotiate with their Doctor on the cost of a Dr's office visit?

the walley is currently hooked up to the pathwayx2 and is working, thats how im currently watching tv, the girl did ask if i wanted to signup for the protection plan and i said no at this time, i guess i will hook up the walley to my home system and see what happens, i just cant believe they dont have a 6 month or something to cover a incident so i guess if after a day or a week it dies your stuck paying, thanks for your time
IMO, this is on you for not doing your research to find out what's covered and for how long.

Reactions: HipKat
So if you signed up for Dish in May, you get the insurance for free for 3 months which means you'd be $9 or $18 into the insurance. Frankly, unless someone is a power user that knows how to do many things themselves, my own personal feeling is, get the insurance. Not only does it get you out of the $95 truck roll, but you also get Identity theft notifications via Lifelock and 10% off the other services we offer and sell. Even with the $95 fee, you're possibly still saving money in the long run over a 2-year contract with Spectrum or DTV, et al.

Do people try to negotiate with their Doctor on the cost of a Dr's office visit?

How would being a power user who knows how to do many things themselves help in this case. Even if you diagnosed it yourself and determined that the receiver is bad, DISH told him it requires a technician visit.

I've never had a technician visit of any kind, installation or repair. However, if a 4 month old receiver went bad, I'd expect DISH to replace it at no charge and waive the visit charge.

And, yes, I definitely negotiated with my doctors for various services over the years. Still do on dental, since it's not covered under Medicare. Just last month, I traded a gold crown for services.

How would being a power user who knows how to do many things themselves help in this case. Even if you diagnosed it yourself and determined that the receiver is bad, DISH told him it requires a technician visit.

I've never had a technician visit of any kind, installation or repair. However, if a 4 month old receiver went bad, I'd expect DISH to replace it at no charge and waive the visit charge.

And, yes, I definitely negotiated with my doctors for various services over the years. Still do on dental, since it's not covered under Medicare. Just last month, I traded a gold crown for services.
If you diagnosed the problem to the receiver level and described your process to Dish tech support they might ship you a replacement receiver without the need for a truck roll. In the OP's case, there has been minimal diagnostics to determine where the fault lies. Could be as simple as a wind gust moving the dish slightly, a bad LNB, bad cable, or a bad receiver. Without a truck roll, that cannot be determined at this point. Heck, I "fixed" a DTV signal issue awhile ago for a neighbor by cleaning the bird crap off his LNB feed horn cover. :)

If you diagnosed the problem to the receiver level and described your process to Dish tech support they might ship you a replacement receiver without the need for a truck roll. In the OP's case, there has been minimal diagnostics to determine where the fault lies. Could be as simple as a wind gust moving the dish slightly, a bad LNB, bad cable, or a bad receiver. Without a truck roll, that cannot be determined at this point. Heck, I "fixed" a DTV signal issue awhile ago for a neighbor by cleaning the bird crap off his LNB feed horn cover. :)
Well said

You didn't get the work done for free, did you?

Heck, I "fixed" a DTV signal issue awhile ago for a neighbor by cleaning the bird crap off his LNB feed horn cover.

You put me in mind of the famous Penzias and Wilson comment that the cosmic background radiation might have been caused by the white dielectric material in their feedhorn. :D

• Haha
Reactions: NYDutch

thank you

So i found the problem, like I said I reset the hopper several times, unplug the unit plug it back in etc. I do have dish outdoors so I hooked up my walley to the roof antenna and in about 5 minutes i have tv, let it run for a couple of hours, to verify I re hooked up the hopper and 20 minutes later still no tv, sat is not locked, still checking switch installation and no picture, re hooked up the walley and in 5 minutes I have tv, conclusion is the hopper has died. Im calling dish to see what they will do and let you know, thanks for your help

well i bit the bullet and signed up for the 9.95 service, the tech came out and i explained what was going on, he said the hopper died, so he got on the roof and tweaked the antenna, replaced the receiver and so far so good for a week now, dish will not send out out a replacement, the tech has to do that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts