dish hd announcement?

opryman67

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Is dish still going to make the hd announcement today as reported yesterday?

Cyclone said:
I'm guessing that you are refferring to the Olympics?
No, not really. I was hoping (but not holding my breath) that there was actually new HD programing coming. I guess not.......
If E* found the Demo Convention on HDNet compelling enough to broadcast, "more compelling" content can't be far behind, can it ??? :sleeo

Dish's HD offering is a joke, and things don't appear to be changing anytime soon. If they keep this up, more folks will be going back to Cable.

The DNC Convention was available free from HDNet. Dish just put it up on their HD-PPV channel. I do not see that in anyway being an indicator that more HD channels are on the way.

Now, Dish's move lately to 3 HD channels per TP, and the fact that 110 TP19 now has only the single NBC-HD channel on it. Now that to me indicates that more HD could be on the way. Of course it could also mean that once the Olympics are over, that TP19 could just be used for a bunch of SD channels once the NBC-HD channel is removed. Nothing is solid.

Still, I think that Charlie is correct in not adding "junk" HD channels such as Bravo-HD+ or Max, Starz, Encore, TMC. We don't need West Coast feeds either. I'd hate to have a cool new HD channel Launch in Oct, only to find there isn't any room because BravoHD+ and its 3 airings daily of West Wing HD have taken up a valuble TP channel. Where there is more than enough bandwidth, then they can act like Voom and just put it all on the air.

The only Compelling stuff out there right now is likely the INHD & INHD2 pair.

Oh, and forget Region Sports Network's HDTV feeds. There is no way that they are going to put a RSN on a Conus TP. Even if there was enough room on a spot beam, I'm not sure they'd sacrifice the 6 SD channels to do it. They couldn't use 8PSK on spot beams either if mixed with SD channels. Or else they'd have to make sure everyone in that Footprint has a 8SPK tuner.

cyclone - right on. Every time I see a Starz request I scratch my head. I've seen it, it aint worth it. I have InHD through my cable provider, and it most certainly is.

Cyclone said:
The DNC Convention was available free from HDNet. Dish just put it up on their HD-PPV channel. I do not see that in anyway being an indicator that more HD channels are on the way.

The only Compelling stuff out there right now is likely the INHD & INHD2 pair.

Oh, and forget Region Sports Network's HDTV feeds. There is no way that they are going to put a RSN on a Conus TP. Even if there was enough room on a spot beam, I'm not sure they'd sacrifice the 6 SD channels to do it. They couldn't use 8PSK on spot beams either if mixed with SD channels. Or else they'd have to make sure everyone in that Footprint has a 8SPK tuner.

So is there not a feasable way to add the RSN's in HD? If not, Dish will go splat, and cable companies or other Satellite companies who can show the RSN's in HD will take over. My local NBA, NHL, and MLB teams in HD is simply the most compelling content I can think of. Who cares about old movies upconverted to HD. Not me. GET THE RSN's.........real soon Charlie - or you'll be losing a bunch of us.

GaryPen said:
So? What was the big HD announcement?

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Aug 2, 2004 (FAUX WIRE) --

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that its DISH Network(TM) plans to issue a formal apology for the regrettable mistake of televising the Democratic National Convention in HD. Charles Ergen (CEO) said the telecast, which was intended as a public service, "caused unintended psychological reactions" in viewers unaccustomed to seeing overweight, sweaty old geezer's in full High Definition. Reports of nausea, fainting and children unable to sleep in their own beds flooded the support centers of the satellite provider. "Children had nightmares of Ted Kennedy chasing after them with knife and fork" said Ergen. One viewer had to be sedated when she was unable shake the image of the pool of sweat that formed on John Kerry's extended chin during his Thursday night acceptance speech. "Please make it to go away" the Nashville TN. woman was heard muttering over and over again. Ergen said that all viewers that called would receive a free PPV coupon and $1 credit on their next bill.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dish-network.com, call 1-800/333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print-quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/print/index.shtml.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 10 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM) and is a leading U.S. provider of advanced digital television services. DISH Network's services include hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network is the leader in the sale of digital video recorders (DVRs). Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

:D :p :) :yes

NightRyder

korsjs said:
I like it.
So was there a special on red, white and blue avators? Political conventions scare me... Seem a bit on the fanatical side.. Reminds me of what an Amway convention would look like if you blew it up.

Night Ryder's press release, as humorous as it may be, is not that far from the truth. One speaker had some kind of mushroom patch growing on the side of his head. Probably some kind of multiple fatty cysts. In SD, they were barely noticable. In HD they were positively scary looking.

WeeJavaDude said:
So was there a special on red, white and blue avators? Political conventions scare me... Seem a bit on the fanatical side.. Reminds me of what an Amway convention would look like if you blew it up.

If you think that was fanaticism, have you ever watched one of those evangelists on any given Sunday? Or, Pat Robertson? Or the 700 Club? Imagine those deals blown up into something as big as a political convention!

Oh that's right. I forgot. That's exactly what'll be happening at the end of August in NY.

Political conventions are dinosaurs. The practical constitutional requirements could be handled very well via a proxy card and toll free phone number.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts