Dish Hd Cabling Requirement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

l!m!t

Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hello -

I have a few questions hopefully some of you can help me with.

I currently have Dish Network using their Standard DVR, I want to upgrade to HD and a HDDVR, but not sure what the requirements are?

1) Currently my home is built with Cat5 Coax cable is that sufficient to run HD through? Will the installers work with that or require a new line?

2) Will only one cable be required to run from the "DISH" to the receiver? I kno with Direct-tv said they had to run two cables and drill through the side of my house or to get a "Single wire Multi-switch". I believe Dish Network receivers use a new technology where only one cable is required? I am using their standard DVR service, so would that work with HD?

I only have only 1 HD TV that this would be installed on. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks. for your time!

Hello -

I have a few questions hopefully some of you can help me with.

I currently have Dish Network using their Standard DVR, I want to upgrade to HD and a HDDVR, but not sure what the requirements are?

1) Currently my home is built with Cat5 Coax cable is that sufficient to run HD through? Will the installers work with that or require a new line?

First of all, :welcome to Satelliteguys.us!

I think you may have your terminology mixed up a bit. Cat5 is for computer networks. It looks like overgrown telephone cable. RG6 is the type of coax used for satellite. It should say RG6 or RG6/U on the jacketing.

2) Will only one cable be required to run from the "DISH" to the receiver? I kno with Direct-tv said they had to run two cables and drill through the side of my house or to get a "Single wire Multi-switch". I believe Dish Network receivers use a new technology where only one cable is required? I am using their standard DVR service, so would that work with HD?

It's actually a technology Dish has had for several years. Dish Pro Plus. It only requires 1 line to a dual tuner receiver.

I only have only 1 HD TV that this would be installed on. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks. for your time!

No problem.

I think you may have your terminology mixed up a bit. Cat5 is for computer networks. It looks like overgrown telephone cable. RG6 is the type of coax used for satellite. It should say RG6 or RG6/U on the jacketing.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Thats what I always thought cat-5 was (LAN Cord) . I looked on the coax sleeve and it said Cat V ("V" I think is Roman numeral for 5) . Now that I looked again I think it meant CATV lol..

So HD would work with a "RC6/U" cable?

Thanks for the fast reply!

Thats what I always thought cat-5 was (LAN Cord) . I looked on the coax sleeve and it said Cat V ("V" I think is Roman numeral for 5) . Now that I looked again I think it meant CATV lol..

So HD would work with a "RC6/U" cable?
RG6/U...yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)