Dish HD Channels and 4k liner Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Consumer research from Leichtman Research Group has revealed that 77 per cent of households in the US have at least one high definition television (HDTV) set, and about 46 per cent of all households have multiple HDTVs. Five years ago, 34 per cent of US households had at least one HDTV, and 11 per cent of households had more than one HDTV.

About 72 per cent of TV sets used in HD households are HDTVs. Including non-HDTV households, 59 per cent of all television sets used in US households are HDTVs – up from 34 per cent in 2010, 18 per cent in 2008, and 3 per cent in 2004.
So 41% of all TVs in the US are still non HD. Of the 59% that are HD many users have no idea how to select the HD channel. I have visited many friends with great HD sets watching a stretched version of the non HD channel. Until the cable distributors make HD channels the default channel, people will be watching stretched SD. At least Dish allows a HD default.Even with this option I still have neighbors watching SD as the default on their HD set with Dish.

Consumer research from Leichtman Research Group has revealed that 77 per cent of households in the US have at least one high definition television (HDTV) set, and about 46 per cent of all households have multiple HDTVs. Five years ago, 34 per cent of US households had at least one HDTV, and 11 per cent of households had more than one HDTV.

About 72 per cent of TV sets used in HD households are HDTVs. Including non-HDTV households, 59 per cent of all television sets used in US households are HDTVs – up from 34 per cent in 2010, 18 per cent in 2008, and 3 per cent in 2004.
So 41% of all TVs in the US are still non HD. Of the 59% that are HD many users have no idea how to select the HD channel. I have visited many friends with great HD sets watching a stretched version of the non HD channel. Until the cable distributors make HD channels the default channel, people will be watching stretched SD. At least Dish allows a HD default.Even with this option I still have neighbors watching SD as the default on their HD set with Dish.

This is a sad truth.

Even more sad truth is that even more of those HD set owners don't even have an HD service (won't pay extra for it), so they don't even have HD channels to select from.

Yep. Many of them are happy with the picture they have and a lot of them say they can't tell the difference, even though they haven't seen it side by side.

Hey guys quick Hopper 3 question, I am getting a Hopper 3 hooked up tomorrow.
If Dish were to add a 4K TV Channel this year, would the Hopper 3 be able to broadcast
this channel to my 4K UHD TV ?

Which makes me think Charlie is still considering NOT having RSN's at all if the price is too high. He has said he seriously considered it at one point, and he also claims that the number of viewers for RSN's is small and not near the high number of viewers for games on the 4 big broadcaster, ESPN, TNT, etc.: the really big games, playoffs, etc. I know Dish must have a plan for the new capacity (perhaps including back-up for current capacity), but none of us have even an idea of what that plan.

Which will probably include the 2016 Olympic channels from Rio.:oldsmile2

There are other ways to get 4K on your 4K UHDTV.
For mine I have a 4K Demo program on a thumb drive that my son setup for me.
I also purchased a Sony 4K upconverting Blu ray player and that does a awesome job upconverting my 1080p Blu ray DVDs on my Vizio 4K UHDTV.
I have AT&T Elite DSL Internet which is the highest speed I can get is 6Mbps down and 784kbps up,so no 4K internet streaming for me.

DirecTV seems very leaky and open about their plans for 4k linear. It sounds like they will be getting a new STB that does this without the current double solution.

Dish now has the Hopper 3, but it doesn't mention anything about linear 4k, and it's best 4k feature just involves 4 simultaneous 1080 channels.

Only Scotts posts keep me hopeful for 4k linear on Dish this year. Direct has had their initial 4k solution for awhile now. I love me some Dish hardware, but 99% of the time I'm watching content, not using the UI. I want better PQ, not 16 ways to record super compressed 1080x1440.

(And speaking about adding HD channels on Dish, I have a hard time determining if Smithsonian is actually HD :eek:, macro blocks fo' dayz)

The Hoper 3 will do linear 4K Channels. The only reason they don't mention t is because they have any linear 4K channels.
i am so excited how much 4k content is now on the new hopper 3 will there be more coming down the pike just asking i do not want another vacation

The Hoper 3 will do linear 4K Channels. The only reason they don't mention t is because they have any linear 4K channels.
Right, but the fact that they're not even mentioning it is what has me worried. Wouldn't you want to brag about what your hardware can do? Unless you don't plan on doing it?

Direct IS mentioning it, and they have a pretty poor way of delivering right now, but are at least acknowledging it's existence/future.

Right, but the fact that they're not even mentioning it is what has me worried. Wouldn't you want to brag about what your hardware can do? Unless you don't plan on doing it?

Direct IS mentioning it, and they have a pretty poor way of delivering right now, but are at least acknowledging it's existence/future.
If you find assurance in DirecTVs statements, and potential linear 4K means that much to you, get DirecTV.

The do mention it, its just a subtle mention. (well actually in two spots.) :)

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 5.26.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 5.26.35 PM.png

Reactions: n0qcu
If you find assurance in DirecTVs statements, and potential linear 4K means that much to you, get DirecTV.
You don't just walk away from the Hopper. :heartbeat
I've had the 922, Hopper, HwS.

I should just get both services. Aren't there people here that do this?
The do mention it, its just a subtle mention. (well actually in two spots.) :)

View attachment 113503 View attachment 113504
But that can easily be interpreted as just for VOD. I hope nobody's doing UHD VOD with MPEG4 :eeek. ALL the bits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts