Dish HD equipment promotion?

And content providers are concerned that if an HD signal went out in the clear, as it would over ATSC coax, people would copy it and put it on the Internet. We won't talk about what TiVo does. :)

But D* is providing HD over coax, so why not E*?

E* has decided, up to now, to make the multiple HD distribution solution past the first HDTV a wireless one via Sling Technology. Part of that is because they own the Sling technology and second, it has become a wireless world. Wireless solutions are elegant as long as one has sufficient bandwidth and no interference (minimal packet collisions). When E* announced the 922 and its Sling tech a couple years ago, it was the bell of the ball. Unfortunately they cannot seem to get out of the gate. They have been painfully slow in development. Part of this is because they lost a great deal of the Sling people when they bought them out and I don't think E* spends the money necessary to develop technology rapidly. It isn't a particularly well run company in some respects. Jim seems to have bailed and I don't think Charlie really understands all the bells and whistles. I've also never been very impressed with their management team.

There are several reasons but the primary reason is that the cabling topology that DISH uses doesn't lend itself to using MoCA.

The technologies used by the two companies progresses in kind of a leap-frog fashion and right now, DISH still demands you have wired Ethernet or Wi-fi.

A secondary reason that is very important to some is that DIRECTV's system effectively removes the ability to diplex OTA in and/or backfeed RF signals out.

One last question: They told me I could avoid the $100 installation charge if I sign up for the $6 per month service contract. Could I sign up for a month and then cancel the service?

Thanks, Bill

I don't think D* is providing HD signals over coax in the clear in a standard ATSC format, easy to copy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, just finished a chat. I guess the HD upgrade doesn't quite work the way it was presented here. They said I can't do it until 9/23 which is the anniversary date of the 625 I got. I wanted to swap out the 625 for a 612.

Oh well, my son will just have to suffer!!! :)

Well, just finished a chat. I guess the HD upgrade doesn't quite work the way it was presented here. They said I can't do it until 9/23 which is the anniversary date of the 625 I got. I wanted to swap out the 625 for a 612.

That is standard procedure.

The one year wait after DishN'It Up has not changed.

What HAS changed is the charges for DishN'It Up, when you qualify.

I knew that. But it was stated that had changed in this discussion. Obviously not.

There are a lot of new folk around that don't know any better. They get giddy with what they think they know...but don't.

Scherrman posted the info but he referenced it as the new DIU pricing. Where has he or anyone else said the offer is available to anyone at any time. I assume the DIU rules still apply: once per year. The poster just didn't understand the DIU limitation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts