Dish HD Local Capacity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Except in very unusual situations, a 10ft off the ground external antenna will beat an antenna in an attic every day of the week.

Really? It was my understanding that getting it up higher would be better even if it was in the attic.It would then be up about 30 feet or more. A lot of people say they have this same antenna in their attic.

Really? It was my understanding that getting it up higher would be better even if it was in the attic.It would then be up about 30 feet or more. A lot of people say they have this same antenna in their attic.
Depends. Often shielding, such as aluminum siding, effects the picture. Still higher often is better, up to the point you have a clear line of site.

A general rule of thumb is you can cut an antenna's efficiency in half once it goes in the attic.

Mine would not work in the attic. Too much multipath. Yet my father-in-law's is in the attic with no problems. Give it a try and see what happens.

Just for Kicks

Just for the hell of it I went to http://www.antennaweb.org and plugged in my address and used that little option of how high my antenna mast is. (Click that little options button near the bottom of the page).

Did you all know that you can put in up to 1999 feet? Talk about getting high! LOL

My results at that height are amazing but unfortunately for me at a reasonable height (say 40 feet) it is a bummer. Not much there and nothing in HD. I am 90 miles line of sight NW of NYC.

Luckily I am in the NYC DMA so I can get all what Dish offers and in HD but I would love to get cities off in the other direction. I also would like MyTV, CW and PBS in HD. Oh well.. Someday. !sadroll

Does E* have any more capacity for HD Locals? I'm in the Birmingham, AL DMA and based on size, it should be near the top of the list. I spoke directly to some of the local stations, and they say no negotiations are under way to uplink them because E* doesn't have the room. D* made B'ham HD available months ago. How much longer do you think it will take?

I'm also in the Birmingham, AL DMA and have been trying for months to get an answer to when local HD will be available. All I'm hearing is "don't know, just have to wait". This is agravating and tends to cause me to look at D* when I would rather not.:mad: I plan to go all out for HD in Jan and would just like to know how long I have to wait for local HD. I live about 45 miles from local broadcasters so OTA may not work. We do have local SD. I have been an E* subscriber since 2001.

"Move" until your HD locals come.

Don't get all in an uproar about where the HD locals are going. You never know where they will pop up at...

I wish it was that easy. Problem is you have to be in range of the spotbeams and some people don't live in areas close enough. :(

Depends. Often shielding, such as aluminum siding, effects the picture. Still higher often is better, up to the point you have a clear line of site.

As digiblur pointed out, you loose up to 50% of your signal in an attic just from the structure of the roof - regardless of the material.

In virtually every case, you will not loose 50% of the signal at 10 feet in the open from the corresponding height of the attic (typically 20-25 feet max).

I've installed a LOT of OTA antennas. The only cases I've seen an antenna improve when moved to the attic was when the user was about 2-3 miles from the high powered ATSC tower. We could easily see the tower with the naked eye. Putting the antenna in the attic increased the signal strength meter because the attic cut down on the multipath issues. Actually it decreased the signal but the signal meter must have used some sort of formula with the BER included. But this is a rare case....

The attic is a cheap and effective signal attenuator. ;)

Since there is room for more spot beam HD LiLs, then what is the reason we still don't have all the HD LiL that were in the original list of 50 that Dish published last Spring?

Burlington VT was on that list and those stations ARE available in digital now.

I was told by a high ranking employee at one of those stations, that it's because Dish is too cheap to pay for the uplink.

So when Dish says something is going to happen and it doesn't happen and then Chuck says "things didn't go as planned", he likely means that he wasn't able to screw someone as tight as he'd hoped.:)

I was told by a high ranking employee at one of those stations, that it's because Dish is too cheap to pay for the uplink.
I'd think the same uplink facilities that is used for the analog stations would be used for the digital ones.
So when Dish says something is going to happen and it doesn't happen and then Chuck says "things didn't go as planned", he likely means that he wasn't able to screw someone as tight as he'd hoped.:)
I don't know what this 'list of 50' means, but I'd guess it was the cities that Dish planned to offer locals in. Step one is to negotiate carriage with the local stations. That 'list of 50' probably didn't mean negotiations were already done.