Dish HD Locals via Satellite a travesty

Aussiejohn

Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
In Albuquerque at least.

We get 3 HD locals via Sat, ABC, NBC and Fox. Only NBC works properly.

ABC is still plagued by green pixelations during HD

Fox is so badly audio/video synched as to be unwatchable.

I compare it to OTA HD from the same sources and those sources are pristine.

It's time for them to step up and fix the problem.

Aussiejohn-
I went through the same garbage with them for 10 months with the Philly HD locals.

The ABC station was just as you described. They'd write me back, tell me they see the issue - but they never fixed it.

I've since dumped DISH and watch my ABC HD in total clarity now on FIOS TV.

MY DISH ABC station; Channel 13 KTRK /6389 is still the only station I get in Hd that is constantly breaking up and pixelating and machine stuttering reverbing. I have communicated with the dishquality folks since last May when they appeared for the first time. Presently ABC is showing the View in Hd and it is all green screens with no viable audio. I am thinking of "moving' to Kansas City also if it would help get me all 4 networks in Hd. I 've given up on ABC ever working right. The dishquality folks won't even respond back any longer when I send them emails about this one station.

St. Louis locals via dish

I have St. Louis locals HD via Dish and they are all great. I do find myself 99% of the time watching the OTA HD signal because it is clearer. The non-compressed signal OTA is definitely better. Since I have 3 HDTV's in the house and 1 analog I must continue to pay the $5 for locals due to the fact that 2 HDTV's are in my basement and are unable to receive an OTA signal.

MY DISH ABC station; Channel 13 KTRK /6389 is still the only station I get in Hd that is constantly breaking up and pixelating and machine stuttering reverbing. I have communicated with the dishquality folks since last May when they appeared for the first time. Presently ABC is showing the View in Hd and it is all green screens with no viable audio. I am thinking of "moving' to Kansas City also if it would help get me all 4 networks in Hd. I 've given up on ABC ever working right. The dishquality folks won't even respond back any longer when I send them emails about this one station.

MikeD-CO5, KTRK13 has been off the air Monday (5th) and part of today (7th) until around 4 pm, I couldn't get their signal ota either. I'm not seeing nearly as much pixelation/audio dropouts as I used to on this station during prime time. I did notice the audio drop outs last about 8 to 10 seconds when I have them. Also, I've noticed some of the same problems recording ota on this station so I wonder whether the problem is with the station?

MikeD-CO5, KTRK13 has been off the air Monday (5th) and part of today (7th) until around 4 pm, I couldn't get their signal ota either. I'm not seeing nearly as much pixelation/audio dropouts as I used to on this station during prime time. I did notice the audio drop outs last about 8 to 10 seconds when I have them. Also, I've noticed some of the same problems recording ota on this station so I wonder whether the problem is with the station?

I don't know either but this station has been on Dish since May of 2006 and it has not improved to me in way of picture /audio or signal reliability - black screens. I am so tired of the audio reverbs , the stuttering , the green screen pixelations that last for ever. I would have hoped that when they got the new mpeg 4 encoders for the national hd channels,that they would of used the old ones for the mpeg 4 hd locals. It might just be the station itself but just in case , I wrote another email to the dishquality folks and I asked them FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE FIX THIS CHANNEL!!!:mad:

dishquality@echostar.com

I don't know either but this station has been on Dish since May of 2006 and it has not improved to me in way of picture /audio or signal reliability - black screens. I am so tired of the audio reverbs , the stuttering , the green screen pixelations that last for ever. I would have hoped that when they got the new mpeg 4 encoders for the national hd channels,that they would of used the old ones for the mpeg 4 hd locals. It might just be the station itself but just in case , I wrote another email to the dishquality folks and I asked them FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE FIX THIS CHANNEL!!!:mad:

dishquality@echostar.com

Wife records "Millionaire" at 3pm daily (M-F), the first 20 minutes were unwatchable today, the last 10 minutes were o.k.; I'll see what happens tonite to the recording of "Lost"; they don't screw with the power output starting around 4 p.m (beginning the local newscast) or during prime time (or whatever they're doing to cause the problems). I don't think it's a Dish problem, but who knows!

We had uplink problems with our SD locals when they first came here. I called Dish Network CS and they have a special form to fill out. Fixed the problem in less than a day.

It'll probably be a colder day in hell before we see HD locals. But, I think I still want the VIP622 anyway and I can get them all OTA. Well, FOX is in SD Digital still, it SHOULD be in HD already.

--Droo, @Network

Wife records "Millionaire" at 3pm daily (M-F), the first 20 minutes were unwatchable today, the last 10 minutes were o.k.; I'll see what happens tonite to the recording of "Lost"; they don't screw with the power output starting around 4 p.m (beginning the local newscast) or during prime time (or whatever they're doing to cause the problems). I don't think it's a Dish problem, but who knows!

I watched Good Morning America in Hd today and I didn't notice any breakups. Could this mean they fixed it at the station? I won't hold my breath though. IF it is fixed and I see it consistently fixed, I will write an email to both the dishquality folks and the station thanking them for finally fixing it. :)

I watched Good Morning America in Hd today and I didn't notice any breakups. Could this mean they fixed it at the station? I won't hold my breath though. IF it is fixed and I see it consistently fixed, I will write an email to both the dishquality folks and the station thanking them for finally fixing it. :)

Nope. The problem has gotten worse. Tonights episode of "Lost" Feb 14th was totally unwatchable because the sound was garbled for the last entire 50 min. of the show. Then when the sound became clear around midnight it was way off sync with the peoples lips.
All this on top of the 6 rectangle boxes with green squares.
OH, THE HUMANITY!!!
How hard can this be to fix?

I sent an email to KTRK before I had found this thread and the engineer told me the problem is with Dish Network because the receive the same over the air signal that everyone in Houston receives.
I guess I will have to call or email Dish as well.
What email address is best to use?

My brother just called Dish Network on the phone. "Tech Support".
They said that the more people that call the better.
I will be calling them soon.

Lost was unwatchable on Channel 13 KTRK HD last night. I had to switch to the SD channel. I have also noticed that lately audio and video have a bad sync problem during the local news on 13 while the other local stations do not appear to have the sync problem.

Yes Channel 13 looks so bad some nights that I have to tune to the sd channel too. It is sad since this channel has been on since May of last year and it continues to have problems. The other channels in hd look fine in the Houston market. I have sent various emails to the dishquality folks since last year and I don't know what is the problem anymore. Whether it is the station or the mpeg 4 compression or what. I do know that I am thinking of "moving" to another market either on 61.5 or 129 sat since I have all 4 sats now on my dish 1000.2. Maybe one of the other hd cities will look better on all 4 stations.

Thanks.
Mail has been sent and Dish has been called again.
I guess I will have to record multiple ABC channels until they fix the problem.
I am scared to check tonight's Grey's Anatomy recording because it will probably be bad.

Dish problem or Broadcaster problem??

Do we know for sure this is a Dish problem?

The local broadcasters (digital/HD) all over the country have had numerous start-up problems. It could be that particular staion, it could be the uplink station (different from the problem station), it could be dish.
Who knows for sure?

You can go to www.abc.go.com to tune into any episodes that you miss due to recording problems or if the show stops recording on Abc shows -because they go to long. I use it for missed endings because Abc loves to go over the time limit on their shows.

You can go to www.abc.go.com to tune into any episodes that you miss due to recording problems or if the show stops recording on Abc shows -because they go to long. I use it for missed endings because Abc loves to go over the time limit on their shows.

Yes, I do this already.
But I sure wish they would put the show up for viewing after the West coast episode is over. I hate having to wait a day or two for them to post it.
What's the delay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)