DISH HD PPV over the Web

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
In what proved to be another massive frustration dealing with the company so highly ranked in customer service by JD Powers, can anyone tell me how to order a HD PPV over the web?

I searched the Dish Site for over an hour and could still only find SD PPV.

I then called Dish. They offered to let me order over the phone for an additional charge. I told them I wanted to order it via the web as it says I can do on all their advertising and even the web itself.

I the ended up at HD Tech Support. After putting me on hold for 10 minutes (after 20 minutes or queues) they said they have other systems and do not have the web interface so they do not know how to order HD PPV via the web.

I then asked who is it - anyone - on the entire planet - that they can connect me to that can tell me how to order a HD PPV, not SD PPV, from their website.

They said there was no one in advanced support - or as far as they knew, in the entire operations outside of the webmaster that could answer the question. They suggested I contact the webmaster on the site.

Well, if you go to the web to ask a HD question, you have to choose a program - Charlie Chat or Technical BS to ask to question on air. I didn't want to wait for the next showing to find out they did not know how either - so I did not send a message there.

I then searched the website for another 30 minutes trying to find a link to the webmaster.

Anyway, so I call back begrudgingly on the phone. Another queue procedure. They say they will put the movie on - I wanted the 8pm showing but after 90 minutes of fwaking with them, it was now past 8pm.

They said they would put the Midnight Showing on for me....on Channel 9467.

HUH?

I want it on 9428 :confused:

They said I can not specify what channel I get it on. It's on what its on. But I explain to them, its in your guide as on 9428 and that's where I want to view it with the higher bitrate. They say the bitrate is the same on all channels so watch it on 9467 - and this is their HD Tech Support!!!!!!

They ask if the STBs are connected to a phone - here we go through that again - and that is the easiest way to order it. I am forced to explain their system to them again that should I order it on a STB, I can not view it on my other STB, which is busy recording something right now - so I cannot use it to order anyway.

My God. Can this company really be this incompetent? Is there no one that even knows how their own systems work?

They say I have to watch it on 9467 if I want to view it.

No matter what you do - even trying to spend more money with this company - they make it IMPOSSIBLE to deal with them in a competent way.

So, here I am here, after giving up trying to view HD PPV tonight.

I am beginning to understand why people really want to hack their system - because they won't let you do simple stuff and pay for it. They practically beg you to do it to make their system work.

Is there ANYONE that knows how to order a HD PPV over the web and how in the hell do you do it?

Scott- you might want to have Dish people read this - so they can find out how their own system works!!!

I disagree.

If you advertise a service (web order PPV)

Please be able to deliver it. Otherwise don't advertise it.

I am tired of companies making hollow promises or making outlandish claims and not be able to back them up.

ie. (a meteor hitting a car and coming out unscathed, driving underwater, etc...)

BFG said:
Sound's like you're the one being so difficult ;)

plug in a phone line and order it with the receiver as they suggested...

I feel bad to the webmasters for doing this, but here is where you can e-mail them to continue your quest http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/contact_us/index.asp

Again, if i plug in a phone line and order it, it only comes on that one receiver - not both.

that's easily sloved by repeating the same process on your other receiver. You're only charged once.

BFG said:
that's easily sloved by repeating the same process on your other receiver. You're only charged once.

Would you care a friends bill with NHL Center Ice charged to the same account 3 times before the wife had a heart attack as the bill came in over $500 and she called and disonnected Dish entirely without finding out it was a mistake?

I guess I shouldn't have believed this - that it was EASY...

OK...phone line is no go - extra $1 for telephone or $5 for live attendant in India

And you cannot order on the web as stated.

SO MUCH FOR EASY AS THEY STATE.

Last edited:
BFG said:
I feel bad to the webmasters for doing this, but here is where you can e-mail them to continue your quest http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/contact_us/index.asp

LOL...currently experiencing a higher than normal email volume.

And they wonder why.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: FeedBack@customermail.dishnetwork.com [mailto:FeedBack@customermail.dishnetwork.com]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 10:33 PM
To:
Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: Webmaster, 7276387648

* * Automated Response * *

Thank you for your e-mail.

Your concerns are important to us and we appreciate your business as a DISH Network customer. We are currently experiencing a higher than normal e-mail volume, but we are working on answering your concerns as quickly as possible. DISH Network thanks you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Please Note: This is an automated response to your email.

This has to be saved here for all time:

You have a question about Dish HD Receivers or HD Programming - click on the link on the left to email your questions and what pop's open?

You might have to wait 3 months+ to see if they choose your question for Charlie Chat - or if they even know how to order HD PPV over the web.

Talk about inefficiencies.

So, you spent 90 minutes talking to someone so you wouldn't have to spend $1 extra to order by phone? Wow, your time must not be very valuable. Should it be available online yes. But was it really worth all this hassle for a buck?

It's not the money I think. More the principle. If each of Charlie's 12 million customers only paid a buck each per month, thats an additional $144 million a year. They earn $144 million extra a year for not providing a service they say they do. But then again...it is just 1 single dollar. -=D

I understand what you are saying even though your numbers are off, because most of those 12 million subscribers don't have HD so this isn't a problem, but I would think that this problem would be very very rare, in that most people that do have HD don't have multiple receivers that they want to watch the program on at the same time (hence the need to call or order online vs ordering through the box). All I'm saying is IF was the original poster I would have paid the buck and moved on.

lakebum431 said:
So, you spent 90 minutes talking to someone so you wouldn't have to spend $1 extra to order by phone? Wow, your time must not be very valuable. Should it be available online yes. But was it really worth all this hassle for a buck?

No - its the future.

I was going to order 4 PPVs today alone.

Do I want to spend an extra 18% penalty on every PPV order for something that is supposed to be able to be done?

No?

Do you?

How about you pay a 18% extra on everything you purchase for no reason. How long til you complain?

lakebum431 said:
All I'm saying is IF was the original poster I would have paid the buck and moved on.

BS.

You will not pay a 18% penalty on everything you buy either.

If you haven't noticed, let me point it out to you.

Cable HD PPV for the same titles are already $5

Directv HD PPV are $5

You already pay 20% MORE on every Dish PPV for these titles. An addtional $1 is a 40% Premium.

Again, BS....you won't do it either.

Last edited:
Quality no longer works for Dish-

-----Original Message-----
From: postmaster-MAILOUT1@echostar.com [mailto:postmaster-MAILOUT1@echostar.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:42 AM
Subject: Mail could not be delivered

****** Message from InterScan Messaging Security Suite ******

The following mail could not be delivered.
Reason: Unable to deliver message to <quality@dishnetwork.com>.

************************ End of message **********************

You were going to order 4 HD PPV's today? They only show about 4 different shows per week. I call BS

And yes, if I was too lazy to plug in my phone line I would pay the $1 extra. It's a buck I don't care. IF we were talking about a big ticket item I would be a little more upset, but we aren't.

It's not about saving a $1.

Ordering a PPV over the internet also costs a $1 just like the automated phone service.

The problem is that you cannot order HD ppv using the internet. (I don't the automated service works either)

DISH needs to fix that.

Pretty sure the message is that Dish Network is a poorly run company that is more concerned about profits than customer care; further they do not understand the principle that quality customer care provides more profitablity. If I were to call them a name (which I am not) it would go well beyond incompetent.

I feel HDTVFanAtics pain every time I have to deal with a Dish CSR. It is bizarre, really.

Are there rocks ahead?

If there are, we'll all be dead.

lakebum431 said:
You were going to order 4 HD PPV's today? They only show about 4 different shows per week. I call BS

The Island

War of the Worlds

Madagascar

Red Eye

BS right back at ya.

P.S.

Even with the beautiful Bitrate I saw off 9427, the errors on Dish HD PPV are HORRIBLE. Somewhere around an error a minute. I figure you would have to get the HD PPV multiple times and spend a day with a frame accurate editor to re-assemble it.

With this in mind, Directv might be getting all my HD PPV business even with HD Lite.

EDIT- Fog alert for last 2 nights - probably not best night for PPV anyway. Island on 110 was stronger signal and error free - most likely the fog.

Last edited:
n0qcu said:
It's not about saving a $1.

Ordering a PPV over the internet also costs a $1 just like the automated phone service.

The problem is that you cannot order HD ppv using the internet. (I don't the automated service works either)

DISH needs to fix that.

Internet cost $1 also?

WTF!>!>!

As an intereting note, someone from the "executive office" called me at 6:30pm tonight and said they were working on my problem all day - but thus far they did not have the answer to how you order a HD PPV on the Internet either.

I asked - "as you cannot get an answer in 30 seconds and you are in the CEO's office, does this not indicate to you that this might be a problem?"

Also asked, out of 600,000 or so HD Subs, I cannot be the only one that has ever run into this. He said, I probably wasn't, but its the first time they were ever made aware of it, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts