Dish HD PQ looks much better lately

Has it improved, I can't say. But when I can watch a full program on Dish, in HD, with no mosquito noise and no macroblocking/compression issues during motion scenes I'll be sure to post. Don't hold your breath as I don't recall the last time that happened (years ago maybe).

The reference to CBS College Sports a few posts back points to probably one of the worst channels PQ-wise. I guess I've never seen the channel on another provider, but since CBS local is typically regarded as best in the business for PQ, I don't think it is the fault of CBS.

3Halo,

I see you can measure the bit rates, but can you also tell what the resolution is? It would be interesting to see what's 1440 and what's 1920, or is all 1080i on Dish still 1440?

I struggle to see any difference, but I know it must be there. Anytime you have only 2 pixels where 3 should be, there would have to be some visual difference, but I sure can't see it, no matter how close I look.

Has it improved, I can't say. But when I can watch a full program on Dish, in HD, with no mosquito noise and no macroblocking/compression issues during motion scenes I'll be sure to post. Don't hold your breath as I don't recall the last time that happened (years ago maybe).

The reference to CBS College Sports a few posts back points to probably one of the worst channels PQ-wise. I guess I've never seen the channel on another provider, but since CBS local is typically regarded as best in the business for PQ, I don't think it is the fault of CBS.

I think your display is set too hot. I've never seen mosquito noise since they went MPEG 4 plus I'm on EA. Now I have seen macroblocking. Try cutting back on the sharpness a bit to reduce the M noise.

All sets are fully calibrated, sharpness at or near zero on most. That being said, mosquito noise is mainly an issue on sports. Other programming with less motion and requiring less bandwidth tends not to show it. EVERY program has macroblocking to some extent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts