Dish HD Stand Alone package!

sabcd2004

Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Hi,
I'm almost reaching the end of my contract with Dish with 811 HD Receiver. Has anyone been able subscribe to HD stand alone package for $29.99? When I called Dish, they don't seem to know of this and they force me to get HD Broze package! Any help is appreciated.

sabcd2004 said:
Hi,
I'm almost reaching the end of my contract with Dish with 811 HD Receiver. Has anyone been able subscribe to HD stand alone package for $29.99? When I called Dish, they don't seem to know of this and they force me to get HD Broze package! Any help is appreciated.
Yes. It's absolutely available. If you log into your account on dishnetwork.com, click on My Account. On the left side, you'll see "HD Programming." Click on that and scroll down to the bottom of the list. HD Only Pack is listed there.
Dish Network Web Site said:
DishHD (HD Stand Alone Pack)
DISH Network introduces the best in high definition programming-DishHD. DishHD packages combine your favorite standard definition programming with the best variety of high definition programming, including sports, movies, family entertainment, news and variety. Plus in select markets get your local channels in high definition!
$29.99

My understanding is that it is available, but there are some caveats. You must own your receiver (not lease it), and I believe there is an additional $6/month "HD enabling" fee if you don't subscribe to one of the metallic packs (bronze, silver, etc.).

So you're really looking at $35.99/month plus other fees... I'm not sure if there is another charge for LiL channels (HD or not), but knowing dish there probably is.

They *really* want to make you take a load of SD channels.

CDH.

there's a $6 dollar fee but it's the service access fee, not the enabling fee, just to clarify that

Locals added to that are $5

If the original poster had a contract with his 811, then it is likely that he has a leased receiver and would be ineligible for the HD standalone package.

Then there is the issue that he would not be able to receive several of the HD channels with an 811 receiver.

Quick Questions: I have a leased 811, two owned 622s, and I am under no contract. Later this year can I downgrade to DishHD Stand Alone, turn in the leased 811, and continue service? If so, will E* let me continue using the LNBs or will I have to purchase my own?

DishHD Stand Alone Pack $29.99
Locals $5.00
Service Access Fee $6.00
Service Access Fee $6.00
Dish DVR Fee $5.99
Dish DVR Fee $5.99

So am I looking at $58.97 or are there any additional fees? DishHD Platinum is a pretty good value, but DishHD Stand Alone is not.

this is not official, but there's probably a good chance that if you are just voluntairly returning the leased 811 to them and continuing your service they wont think to ask for leased LNBs back as well. A lot of times they get overlooked even thought they are part of the lease restricitions.

Also when you were figuring out your fees, you are only charged the service access fee once, not twice

Thanks! I didn't think they would ask for the return of the LNB, but it never hurts to ask. Also, I just realized the locals are $5.99 and not $5.00 since the HD Stand Alone Pack is not a qualified programming package. I understand there will be only one Service Access Fee, but will there be an Additional HD Receiver Fee for the 2nd 622?

yes there will be an additional HD receiver fee, so it is the same $6

and you were right the first time on locals costing $5, they have a stand with and without locals price

and the dvr fee is $5.98 so minus 2 pennies if we want to get technical

CDH said:
My understanding is that it is available, but there are some caveats. You must own your receiver (not lease it), and I believe there is an additional $6/month "HD enabling" fee if you don't subscribe to one of the metallic packs (bronze, silver, etc.).

So you're really looking at $35.99/month plus other fees... I'm not sure if there is another charge for LiL channels (HD or not), but knowing dish there probably is.

They *really* want to make you take a load of SD channels.

CDH.

I have called CS with just that question, they checked, and checked, and said no!

Call again? Write the CEO?, it's BS, why can't they make up their minds?

I just called and tried two seperate CSRs and they both said no to me also. They told me to get hd, I would have to have at least HD Bronze for 49.99 + tax.

mp3audio said:
I just called and tried two seperate CSRs and they both said no to me also. They told me to get hd, I would have to have at least HD Bronze for 49.99 + tax.
Are you trying to lease a receiver? If you lease, you have to get a metal package. If you bought your receiver, I believe you still have to have already completed at least one contract in order to qualify for the HD-Only pack.

BFG said:
there's a $6 dollar fee but it's the service access fee, not the enabling fee, just to clarify that

Locals added to that are $5

Locals added to that are $6/mo. If you don't have qualifying programming, you need to pay $6/mo for the access fee, and locals are an extra buck, at $6/mo. That is what dish charges me for locals cuz I don't have qualifying programming. They are too cowardly to just charge a $7/mo access fee, so, they try to spread it out. I guess they figure that most won't realize they are getting charged an extra buck for locals or something.

Glad I found this thread! :) That's what I'm trying to do, just go with the HD Stand Alone Pak. I currently have Top 60, locals & the old HD package. I'll bet I watch 1 hour per month of the SD programming in the Top 60. @ $30/ mo., not good value.

I just started Dish service 6 months ago, with a 811 receiver & Dish 500 Twin dish, recieving on 110 & 119. But I paid the $50 activation fee to avoid any contract committment. I first called Sat. to cust. service & got some lady in Bombay. It took persistence, but she finally found the Stand Alone Package & said it would be $29.99 / mo. I told her to make it so. Then she came up with the need to upgrade to a 211 @ $49, plus a new 18 month committment. That was a no go for me, so I told her to forget it.

Then in researching & posting in the forums here, I looks like I will also need to upgrade to a Dish 1000 dish to get the new HD channels on 129. So then I called Dish Tech Support. Very long wait but then I finally got a very nice lady. She confirmed I need to upgrade both to a 211 receiver & Dish 1000 dish. She quoted me a total monthly price of $35.99 - $29.99 for HD Stand Alone + $6 receiver fee for not having a qualifying minimum package. Also $6 for locals but I told her to take that off, I get locals in HD OTA. But the $49 receiver upgrade fee WITH a new 18 month committment was still a no go for me. Then she quoted purchases; it was well over $400 & I groaned. She asked why I was so dead set against the 18 month contract & I told her I just don't like being locked into contracts. Then she told me if I cancelled the contract all I would be charged is a maximum of $240 or $13.35 per month remaining on the contract and pointed out that even if I cancelled in the first month & paid the $240 I would still be ahead of the game in paying over $400 for the equipment. I told her I would think it over.

So, what I understand is that I don't need to own the equipment, I can get the $49 receiver & dish upgrade fee and still get HD Stand Alone for $35.99.

I've decided to bite the bullet on the new 18 month committment & will call Monday and see if I can get it. :hungry:

mp3audio said:
Do you know the extension number for the CSR you talked to?

Just got off the phone with Dish. BTW, I go through Tech Support - a little longer wait but much more knowledgable folks & they can order/change equip. & programming just like anyone else.

Apparently the other CSR's didn't go far enough into their screen. The very helpful lady this morning tried & then said the Stand Alone Pak did not quality for the Dishin' It Up upgrade plan. She even put me on hold while she double checked.

I went a head & upgraded with the Bronze. I had the old HD package ($9.99) free for 6 months. Now that's off my Top 60 w/ HD is $45/mo. with locals. With Bronze & dropping locals it goes to $55.99 / mo, but I get 23 HD channels instead of 5 plus $49 for the 211 & Dish 1000 upgrade.

If the euipment could ever be used for something else, like Free to Air satellite, I could see buying the equipment. But why pay $400 for equipment that can only be used for Dish service when I can get it for $49? And the $6/mo. receiver fee would still be assessed as a $6 service fee if I owned & went with Stand Alone.

But, MP3 - If you don't need to upgrade your equipment or want to do so at you own expense & don't have contract committments, I'm convinced the STand Alone Pak is available. The 1st CSR found it under "Other" programming. Both Tech Support reps found the Stand Alone right away.

Last edited:
I just talked to tech support and she activated me on the dish hd only plan for $29.99/month. This includes all of the HD channels that dish offers besides the HBO or Showtime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts