Dish HD, suggestions?

Raptorman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
SF Bay Area
Im having Dish HD installed next week. We used to have dish at our old rental a few years ago and after dealing with cable (Comcast) the roomate and I decieded to go back to E* as you all call it;) Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the install.

Ive been reading as much as possible, these forums are great. We are getting the gold package, local channels (SF bay area), a 211 for each of our tvs and I think E* is throwing in an SD DVR that I have no use for. How do we get OTA channels? Which/How many Dishes will they have to install?

Thanks in advance,

Raptor

No Dish 1000

Im having Dish HD installed next week. We used to have dish at our old rental a few years ago and after dealing with cable (Comcast) the roomate and I decieded to go back to E* as you all call it;) Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the install.

Ive been reading as much as possible, these forums are great. We are getting the gold package, local channels (SF bay area), a 211 for each of our tvs and I think E* is throwing in an SD DVR that I have no use for. How do we get OTA channels? Which/How many Dishes will they have to install?

Thanks in advance,

Raptor
Have them put up 2 dishes (either 2 500's or a 500 & 300) :eureka and not a Dish 1000 for the SF bay area. The signal for the HD on 129 isn't that great that far W.

So two are better than one out west. Any bay area guys that can concur? Also from what ive read I can just hook an antenna to the back of my 211 to get OTA including HD:confused:

129 has problems in lots of places. Have them install the two dishes. You might hav to argue about it, but hold your ground.

Why don't you get a vip622 so you get a HD DVR??? 30 Hours of HD recording and/or 200 hours of SD, dual sat tuner, plus HD OTA ATSC tuner. That's the way to go. Assuming you have HDTVs, I would get one 622, for the main tv, and one 211 for the secondary one. You'd only have the DVR on the 622, but it would be worth while.

My TV is HD but doesnt have the HDMI, only DVI etc. Roomates has HDMI. I just dont need a DVR:p If my calculations are close ill need satelites 119 for my local hd, 129 for Voom and other hd, 110 for locals.

Last edited:
You guys are great

Dish came out on Monday, added a Dish 1000 for the 129 and replaced my DP34 switch with a DP44 and problem solved. It was great that I was able to use the component jacks on the back of my TV with Tuner1 on the 622. It turns out you can set the output to 480i to support my SDTV (until I get my HDTV this Xmas) and as far as I am concerned the picture is a bit richer than the S-Video output though a bit darker.

Thank you for those who replied. I appreciate that you took the time. I do have one question though about the audio. It appears the sound output on Tuner1 (HD side for the 622 dual tuner) is lower than Tuner2 (SD Side). Is this normal or is something wrong with Tuner1 output? I am using the RCA audio jacks on both and don't understand why the output is lower on the HD side? I have to raise the volume considerably higher on my A/V receiver when I cycle between the two sources (yes, even if I have both tuners tuned to the same channel/program)

Sincerely,
Andrew

BTW my location is Houston, TX

New setup:

1 x SuperDish 121 (110,119,121)
1 x Dish 1000 (129)
1 x DP44 Switch
1 x ViP622 DVR
1 x Dish 322

I'm in San Francisco and you definitely get a better signal from 129 here with a separate dish. The 1000 dish just doesn't have the gain needed for reliable signal strength. I've got a 500 for 110-119 and a 300 for 129 feeding my 622 and I have never lost the signal.

Larry
SF

They have adapters to convert the video from HDMI to DVI. They are very expensive look at www.monoPrice.com
I guess you miss-typed and ment inexpensive or cheap since you can get them for less than $20. Also using the word convert is somewhat of a misnomer because DVI and HDMI use the same (in this case) digital video signal and it doesn't need converting. So an adaptor is all that is needed or a HDMI to DVI cable.

actually, i have a similar question. instead of starting a new thread, this seems like an appropriate place.

i'm thinking about adding dish to supplement the cable i already have. i would keep that for my hd locals but would add the dish for more hd programming that i'm not getting on cable. i'm really only interested in dish hd programming....so my question is what dish would work best for me? i'm in daytona beach. thanks for your help!!

Thanks for the reply Larry. I tried to get the installers to put in two dishes after reading what everyone had said on here but they just put up a 1000:rolleyes: I think they got 129 at about 68 :confused:

So far im pretty happy with the HD even tho its on a diet:p

NFLHD is amazing, i cant imagine how good it would look non-HD lite.

Bring on the Mpeg4 and FSNHD :hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)