DISH HD Vip622 Menu Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

prezdisher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Hey everyone. I was just reading through the boards and I saw where someone stated to go to Menu, Option 6, Option 8, and there you could set up your resolution to see if you can get better PQ. I have had my HDTV and Dish HD since October 06, and never knew this :(

Anyway, I went there and noticed mine was set to 480p. So I changed it to 720p, although I cant really tell that big of a difference. What do most of you set yours to? 720p or 1080i? Does this setting override what the actual program is shot in? For example, I know all of ESPN's HD games are shot in 720p.

Thanks.

What type of TV do you have? If you have a CRT you will most likely want to set it to 1080i. If you have a fixed resolution display (i.e. plasma, lcd) you will most likely want to set it for 720p to match your displays native resolution. I am surprised your installer didn't set up your 622 correctly.

This setting will convert 1080i programs to 720p or vice versa, fyi.

Most likely. It depends on the native resolution of your TV. Most DLPs are either 720p or 1080p. Do you have the model number?

Your set's native resolution is 720p, so you will want to leave it set on that.

:eek: You should be able to tell a HUGE difference on HD programs. As you probably know now 480 is NOT HD so you haven't been watching in HD at all.

Yes, I know 480p is not HD. Believe me, if i watch a standard def show stretched to fit the screen, that is where the picture looks like crap compared to an HD show. Let's say I am watching Sportscenter though on the 480p 622 setting, and then i change it to 720p 622 setting, then really I can't tell that much of a daifference. Maybe a little. But the PQ on 480p looks great also on the HD channels. I know that sounds weird, but it is true.

I have the 56" version of your set. 1080i on the 622 looks a tad sharper to my eyes.

Hmm, there should be a noticable difference. There may be something else wrong then. What cables are you using to connect the receiver to the TV? Please don't think I'm calling you out or anything, I just want to make sure that you are getting the best possible picture!

I am just using standard cables to connect the receiver to the set. For my Samsung Surround Sound Upconvert DVD player, I am connecting that to the TV using an HDMI cable. DVD's look real good. Maybe I should break down and get the HDMI cable for the 622 to the TV also. The set does have 2 HDMI slots, and currently only one is taken.

Prez you will need to get the HDMI cable, standard cables (yellow red white right?) will not pass a HD signal through, get the hdmi or component (red green blue red white) cables you will thank us for it :).

Prez you will need to get the HDMI cable, standard cables (yellow red white right?) will not pass a HD signal through, get the hdmi or component (red green blue red white) cables you will thank us for it :).
Absolutely, what stuart628 says. You've never been watching HD from Dish.

I love DISH's programming, but if I wrote down everything and every negative experience I have had with installers, CSR's etc. I could write a novel. Of course I am probably preaching to the choir.

I am just using standard cables to connect the receiver to the set. For my Samsung Surround Sound Upconvert DVD player, I am connecting that to the TV using an HDMI cable. DVD's look real good. Maybe I should break down and get the HDMI cable for the 622 to the TV also. The set does have 2 HDMI slots, and currently only one is taken.

Check out www.monoprice.com. They have great prices and I have literally ordered dozens of cables there they are all great. Depending how far your TV input is away from your receiver I would suggest this one:
Only for $3.09 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI Cable male to male 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) | 28AWG HDMI Male to Male Cables

For $4.79 you really can't beat it!

Trust us, you will thank us later.

Cool I like the price of that HDMI cable. For the HDMI cable that I am using on my Surround Sound DVD Upconverter, I bought a Monster HDMI cable from Best Buy that was around $70. Will the quality on the cheaper one above suffice? Believe me, my wife will like a $4.50 HDMI cable better than a Monster one :D

Last edited:
Cool I like the price of that HDMI cable. For the HDMI cabe that I am using on my Srround Sound DVD Upconverter, I biught a Monster HDMI cable from Best Buy that was around $70. Will the quality on the cheaper one above suffice? Believe me, my wife will like a $4.50 HDMI cable better than a Monster one :D
Yes, it will more than suffice. I would bet the majority of the regulars around here use those cables. Too bad you fell prey to the Monster sell. It's happened to many of us.

You *could* use the yellow/white/red cables as component cables, just make sure to match them on both ends. I've done it before in a pinch when a true component cable wasn't available. If they're good enough quality the only difference will be the colors of the plugs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)