DISH HD Vip622 Menu Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OK Guys, I went ahead and ordered the HDMI cable for $7 bucks or so which included shipping. I will let you know what everything looks like when I get it and hook it up, hopefully it won't take but a couple days to get here.

I appreciate all the help, but I hope you guys don't think I am an idiot. I pulled the TV out to check the cables that are connecting the 622 to the TV, and I did confirm those are component cables. Red, Green, and Purple/blue for Video, and Red and white for the audio. That being said, should I not be able to tell a difference between setting the picture from 480p to 720p in the menu? I swear to you, the PQ on the 480p does look like HD quality. I know 480p is not HD, but the difference between the two is not that much. Hopefully, the HDMI cable will allow me to tell a major difference.

Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes.
The truth of the matter is you probably won't see much if any difference between HDMI and component. I can't on my Sammy. The advantage is one neat cable for video and audio.
We were all shouting HDMI because you said you were hooked up composite.

The truth of the matter is you probably won't see much if any difference between HDMI and component. I can't on my Sammy. The advantage is one neat cable for video and audio.
We were all shouting HDMI because you said you were hooked up composite.

I am hoping its a situation like with my parents tv, for some reason the cable box, component and their tv never got along, when I hooked it up via HDMI, then all of a sudden it accepted a 720p signal, but never with component, it was weird!

To check what resolutions your HDMI equipped TV can use, go to the diagnostic menu and look at the HDMI info. I just found out my Samsung DLP was made in the last week of 2005, but I bought it the third week of 2007!!! No wonder I got a good deal--I was buying an over year old TV. BTW the highest resoultion is 1080i for my set.

The advantage is one neat cable for video and audio.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the 622's HDMI output does not supply audio - it's video only, right? I haven't been able to get audio through it...

Also: My primary set is an older Samsung 61" DLP fed by a Dish 622 via component cables. It has native res of 720p. Everything I've read (both here and in other places) says that setting the Dish box to output 720p should be best. But when I tried it, the picture geometry is all screwed up: I end up with an image that doesn't fiill the screen. There are small bars on top/bottom, but much larger on left/right -- so the image is stretched vertically. Even the menus from the 622 show the same distortion, despite playing with all the stretch modes I could find on either the 622 or the TV. So I've been running in 1080i for years now. Am I the only one that's ever seen this, or is there some problem with the set? It works perfectly in every other way. I've had the exact same result with each Dish HD receiver I've had, including the 6000, the 811, and now the 622.

Finally, a question: I just added a Vizio 42" 1080p LCD in the bedroom, hooked to a Dish 411 via HDMI (audio via RCA cables). Since the native resolution of this set is truly 1080p, what setting should I choose on the 411? 720p or 1080i? I've tried both, and although they're very close, 1080i seems to look just a bit sharper to my eyes.

Thanks!

The ViP622 (& 411) HDMI outputs have audio as well as video. You may have a setting on your TVs as to the audio source.

Whatever looks best to you is the correct setting.

Thanks, navychop... that's interesting. I've been through the TV menus and there's no settings for audio source, nor is it mentioned in the Vizio manual. The only thing they show is a diagram of a single HDMI cable, and a second diagram just like it but also showing the RCA cable for HDMI sources that don't supply audio.

I'm using the black 2-piece HIDMI/DVI cable that Dish provided with the 411. Would that make any difference?

Thanks, Rob

I'm using the black 2-piece HIDMI/DVI cable that Dish provided with the 411. Would that make any difference?

Thanks, Rob

That's why. You need a HDMI/HDMI cable. DVI doesn't pass audio so that two piece cable won't either.

That's why. You need a HDMI/HDMI cable. DVI doesn't pass audio so that two piece cable won't either.

Actually if you are using both pieces of the cable that dish supplies (HDMI to DVI to HDMI) it will provide audio. We have been through this several times and it works just fine.

My installer did not set the output resolution as well. It only took me about 2 hours to realize that the 622 was only outputting 480p. I have a 1080P tv. Thats a BIG difference in quality!

Again I am unsure what to set it at....720p or 1080i? My TV is an LG 42" LCD 1080p TV.

Why can't dish send out an update to the receivers and change it so the receiver can have the option of outputting the full 1080p. Even though all HD now is only 720p / 1080i the extra resolution would help with photos via USB, etc.

-Scott

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)