Dish HD vs HD DVD: price and quality comparison

Just understand...you CANNOT upconvert DVD's over a component cable...copyright infringement laws dictate over analog conversion. You can ONLY upconvert via a HDMI cable. My Xbox 360 would not upconvert because it does not have a HDMI cable. It is possible on a 360 via a RGB connection only, unless you get the newest 360 models which now come with a HDMI port. The software on the 360 and the PS3 can upconvert the DVD's to HD signal.

I don't know that this is true. How do you actually tell that your movies are upconverting other than what you see on the screen? I have an Xbox360 HD-DVD setup with the standard Xbox360 cables and standard DVDs look way better than any other player I own, including the player hooked to the very same TV. If it isn't upconverting my standard DVDs I don't know what you call it, but all standard DVDs look excellent on the HD-DVD add on to the Xbox360. I think maybe your equipment is improperly setup.

I don't know that this is true. How do you actually tell that your movies are upconverting other than what you see on the screen? I have an Xbox360 HD-DVD setup with the standard Xbox360 cables and standard DVDs look way better than any other player I own, including the player hooked to the very same TV. If it isn't upconverting my standard DVDs I don't know what you call it, but all standard DVDs look excellent on the HD-DVD add on to the Xbox360. I think maybe your equipment is improperly setup.

The add-on must just be a better player than your other one because the add-on does not upconvert via component. As for what resolution you are seeing, you need to look on your display. Some show it easily with the press of a button, some you need to enter the service mode, etc. Best you get from component is 480p.

The add-on must just be a better player than your other one because the add-on does not upconvert via component. As for what resolution you are seeing, you need to look on your display. Some show it easily with the press of a button, some you need to enter the service mode, etc. Best you get from component is 480p.

Upconvert or not, standard DVDs look fantastic on the HD-DVD add on to the Xbox360. Way better than any of the other DVD players in the house (1, 2, 3, 4, plus the portable... I've owned tons over the years). This includes the actual DVD player in the Xbox... the add-on looks way better than the drive that comes with the 360 where you put the games. When I first watched a standard DVD in the HD-DVD drive I thought, "wow, these really do look great too, what a bonus." So, upconvert or not, they look great!

I don't unerstand why you have to make a choice between satellite HD and HD programming ona DVD.

One more thing, Component cables handle HD just fine. Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps you were thinking of composite cables. You get full HD from component on cable boxes and other devices. But obviously HDMI is better.

He was referring to upconverting. Current DVD's are flagged to prevent upconversion over Component. Older movies usually aren't unless they are a rerelease. A few current Sony titles are even preventing upconversion over HDMI. There used to be an upconverting player that stripped the flag and upconverted over component but it is no longer sold. Even the Toshiba HDDVD players don't upconvert over component if the flag is present. You get a nasty little box that says you can't do this.

S~

Prhps but it seems likea strangely artificai choice. Just my opinion. I will shut up.

One more thing, Component cables handle HD just fine. Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps you were thinking of composite cables. You get full HD from component on cable boxes and other devices. But obviously HDMI is better.

I meant the best you get from SD DVD via component on your 360 add-on is 480p.

For the record, HDMI is not obviously better than component.

Prhps but it seems likea strangely artificai choice. Just my opinion. I will shut up.

Hanging out in the warzone I think I know where you are going :p I don't recall the exact titles and whether or not they came out prior to the PS3 and/or the HDDVD players.

S~

I meant the best you get from SD DVD via component on your 360 add-on is 480p.

For the record, HDMI is not obviously better than component.

In my setup HDMI is better than component. I use HDMI for both my Dish622 and BHN cable box with better side by side comparisons than component cables.

Am I wrong that HDMI is the newer technology and considered the best consumer technology out there today (fall of 2007) as far as connectivity? As far as I know that is the choice connection. My setup has proven this to be true as well with my boxes and TV. Your setup could get different results.

In my setup HDMI is better than component. I use HDMI for both my Dish622 and BHN cable box with better side by side comparisons than component cables.

Am I wrong that HDMI is the newer technology and considered the best consumer technology out there today (fall of 2007) as far as connectivity? As far as I know that is the choice connection. My setup has proven this to be true as well with my boxes and TV. Your setup could get different results.
It really depends. If you have been around here as much as I have, the opinions are 50-50. Some say HDMI looks better, others say component. It just depends. After about a month of frustration of PQ AFTER I went HDMI, I went back to component. For ME, it is better...a little cleaner. Don't ask for details, it's just my reaction.

It really depends. If you have been around here as much as I have, the opinions are 50-50. Some say HDMI looks better, others say component. It just depends. After about a month of frustration of PQ AFTER I went HDMI, I went back to component. For ME, it is better...a little cleaner. Don't ask for details, it's just my reaction.

The only problem I have had with HDMI, with my BHN cable box and not Dish, is that if you don't plug the cable in the right way, I think it is TV first and then cable box (I forgot which for sure, could be box then TV), it will stutter from time to time. I recently changed my room around and went through it when rehooking it up. This is not a problem with Dish.

I guess there are plenty of variables from the cable, satellite box, DVD player, game console, etc to the TV. Maybe certain TVs handle HDMI better. All I know is that on my Sony 3LCD TV, HDMI looks a lot better for both my cable box and sat box.

I have 4 HDTV's in various rooms. I have tried HDMI & component on all four. One looks better using HDMI. The other three look better with component.

Try both. Use the connection that looks best. Every combo is different.

When playing DVD, HDMI is obviously better than component, less artifacts. Not sure about HD content, though.

Not to try to speak for primetimeguy, but I believe the essence of what he is saying is quite literally that there is not an obvious choice either way with regard to picture quality. Depending on the box and the display, HDMI may be better or worse than component. I've had 2 different displays with the same 622. HDMI never looked good on the previous set, while component was outstanding. On the current set, HDMI wins hands down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts