Dish HDDVR Lifespan till next gen

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Just wondering how long Dish usually goes before a new model is released. Also, when did the 622 officially come out.

Im going to pass on the 722 since its really no different from the 622. Hopefully the next gen HDDVR will have dual OTA tuners.

Considering that the 622 has MPEG4, and ethernet Jack, and USB2.0. I would have to say that it has all the pieces needed to have a long shelf life.

I doubt E* will release a dual OTA tuner unit. I don't think they see it as a priority. In fact, after they have HD LiLs across the country, they may view OTA features as even less important (to them).

There are OTA HD DVRs, and there will no doubt be more, as the digital transition looms.

In fact, after they have HD LiLs across the country, they may view OTA features as even less important (to them).
As long as they don't carry all HD locals, there will be a desire for OTA access.

I'm pretty sure that for safety reasons, there will always be a demand for OTA capability.

An OTA tuner is a necessity due to the potential of Rainfade... of course, my OTA's seem to fade durign the storms as well... but at least i have some options on channels at that time.

With MPEG-4 in place, external storage just over the horizon, and the Ethernet port waiting for VoIP, I don't see E* rushing to replace the 622. They just need to get it back to the stability level that it had before.

DishOnline.

Set recordings remotely. Access account. Eventually download movies.

Ah, cool. I wish someone would make a move download push with subscription. I love netflix, but Id love to be able to get hd QUALITY downloads whenever I want them.

Wasn't there support for the external hard drives via ethernet for the HP storage solution? I thought I read that in the team summit notes.

Considering that the 622 has MPEG4, and ethernet Jack, and USB2.0. I would have to say that it has all the pieces needed to have a long shelf life.
I would agree...except for USB2.0 which is painfully slow considering 1TB external hard disks can probably be had for under $150 next year, and 750GB drives can be found on sale under $200 today. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see USB2.0 being able to keep up with the demands to move huge amount of data to the HDD - it's already slow, slow, slow dumping 30GB of movies out to the Pocketdish.

Since firewire (I love it) is treated like a bastard step-child by the MPAA (they hate it) it would appear the next generation Dish Network HD DVR will need eSata. I have an external Western Digital HDD with dual USB2.0/eSata and backing up my PC is five times faster using eSata.

The 622 will have a long shelf-life, but I think the next generation of HD DVRs will come with eSata to support the 2 and 4TB hard drives that will pop-up in the next year or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)