Dish heaters cheap

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
If you live in an area with wet snow (see my avatar), then the most effective and easy way to deal with it is to install a dish heater. Then just flip the switch in late fall and turn it off in spring - no "brooming" to deal with.

The main down side of dish heaters has been price, but I just spotted a satellite accessory dealer on ebay who just put up a bunch of them at what looks like below cost (they probably bought over-stock at a big discount).

I have no connection to the ebay dealer, but I have purchased from them before, and I just bought two of these heaters for side dishes.

Anyway, I won't step on any toes by posting details, but I did want other SatelliteGuys to know about this "hot deal" (pun intended). So, just search ebay for "dish heater"...

Thanks for the post.

I'm not sure links are a problem, but a search on "satellite dish heater" on ebay gets a bunch of 16.99 units.

My problems with wet/heavy snow often start with the LNB arm, not the dish itself. Perhaps I also need to wrap that with a pipe heater.

a super-soaker with hot water has worked for me. They should be at a discount now in the toy stores.

I've done the hot water thing and I've also loaded a super-soaker with windshield washer solution when the ice gets really tough. Don't let your pets eat the blue snow, and label what's in the super-soaker. You wouldn't want little Jimmy blasting a neighbor kid with the stuff.....

My biggest problem is not my dish, it's my wireless broadband antenna- doesn't like ice whatsoever.

I first installed a Dish Heater after the 1998 (?) Winter Olympics when I would have to go out in the midst of a really dreary "cement" storm with the broom every 20 minutes.

A search of old threads here and at DBStalk will indicate that there is quite a bit of regional variation in what affects a dish.

In the Sierras, the snow is often quite wet and heavy "Sierra Cement" and local dealers generally have heated dishes (for mucho $$$).

In some areas, a foot of snow can collect on the dish and not affect the signal at all - but not here - sometimes just an inch can cause problems.

Looks like a good deal. We get good lake effect snow up here. My problem is that my dish is under an eve and when snow melts from the roof it drips down to the the dish and it ices up. Might pick one of these up at this price.

Also, it's good to be able to work on the dish when the weather is nice, so it is good timing (even though people are not otherwise "thinking snow" right now)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts