Dish "Home" channel with Sky Angel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

daybj

Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I think I know the answer to my question but just need someone else to confirm it. I currently have Sky Angel and the free public interest channels from Dish (i.e. Pentagon, Classic Arts, etc.) on the 61.5 satellite. I don't have any other Dish programming. I noticed recently that there is a button on my remote that is labelled DISH. This function is supposed to give you some type of interactive capabilities with DISH such as games, shopping, weather, etc.

When I push this button on the remote, I am getting a message that says I need to upgrade to a Dish 500 system. I thought I already had a Dish 500 system since that is the wording used on the physical dish itself. Another fact is that I have never attached a phone line to any of my receivers since I have never had a need to order any international pay per view events.

I would really like to know if there is some way I can get the Dish "home" channel on the 61.5 satellite. I called Dish and they asked me if I could "see" channels 103 and 9900. I told them no and they told me I would have to get a Dish 500 system. I told them I think I already have one.

I believe that channels 103 and 9900 are on the 110 satellite and the only way to get the Dish "home" channel is to have another satellite aimed at 110 degrees. Since I don't have the weather channel, it would be if I could get the local weather through this Dish "home" channel.

On a related note, does anyone know if there are other a-la-carte channels (other than international) that I could subscribe to from the 61.5 satellite? I found the list of channels on the 61.5 satellite and noticed that there are a few HD channels available such as the Food Network, etc. but I'm not sure if I can actually subscribe to them.

yes, you need a dish pointed at 110 to get the DishHome applications.

Also if you have a DVR you need 119 to get the extended guide.

Their definition of "Dish500" as per the error message you are getting, means LNBFs pointed at 110 and 119.

Thanks for the information. That's what I suspected but wanted to make sure. Do you happen to know the answer to my second question on the a-la-carte channels?

The short answer is no. There are no non-international Dish services available a-la carte at 61.5 you don't already have.

The HD channels are part of the HD package and you need 110º to see the rest of them. And since you cannot get HD channels without the corresponding SD package (AT100 and so on), you would also need a dish pointed at 119º.

See ya
Tony

Some more of the free public-interest channels are at 110 (Research, HITN, BYU, UWTV, Colours, Link, FSTV) and at 119 (Universityhouse, UCTV).

There are a few more PI channels

61.5 & 148
KBS World, Almavision, Health & human Services, Classic Arts, Pentagon, Good Samaratin, PAEC

Documentary Channel, CCTV9, Research, BYU TV, UWTV, Colours, WorldLink

CSPAN, NASA, TBN, EWTN, UCTV

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pi.htm

so even if you want ot block some of the channels, adding a dish for 119 only would get you 2 more religious channels, NASA and C-Span

Only one more berg. :) TBN is now on Sky Angel. Daystar is at 110° and only part of AT100 and Dish Family, not a PI channel now. :)

See ya
Tony

I didnt mention Daystar ;)

BUt if the Op wanted to add a DIsh500 he could get some more PI channels for free

We are thinking of dropping all programming except for Sky Angel. Are you guys saying that I can still get these PI channels even though I am not subscribing to any programming? Or do I have to subscribe to at least Dish Family to get these channels?

We are thinking of dropping all programming except for Sky Angel. Are you guys saying that I can still get these PI channels even though I am not subscribing to any programming? Or do I have to subscribe to at least Dish Family to get these channels?

yes you can get just the PI pack with no other "package" from Dish. Sky ANgel would be the package

Here is a thread on that very subject where current SA only customers got the channels
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=73608

Tell her its allowing you to expand on the Christian programming that you can reciever (which technically is true as there are a fair amount of religious channels on FTA ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)