Dish Hopper/2 Joeys/Super Joey setup, lots and lots of problems for my household.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
ever since my household upgraded from 2 722k to the Hopper and 2 Joeys and 1 Super Joey back in February, we been having lots of problems with it since then, we have had gone to a new Hopper and a new Super Joey and a couple of those things that the cable splitter hook up thing up to to add moca/signal from the satellite dish to it. and need to say, still having problems.

in fact, here's a list of them:
1. Channels going out for no reason as in good weather, and the HD channels going to their SD version, when it's just mostly Sunny/partly cloudy (might be a signal issue with dish eye).

2. Sometimes the scheduled pre-programmed recordings don't record at all and causes issues with other pre-programmed scheduled recordings. and other times, recording don't record parts of the show at all for no reason, possibly related to signal issues.

3. Channels on tuner not coming in at all, just a black screen and you are left with no choice but to reset Hopper and or Joey.

4. channels audio drops out and skips on the main TV hooked to Hopper, and the only way to fix that is ether back it up for a sec or change the channel, ch. 138 TNT seems to do this the most.

5. every time you tuned into a channel or went back to live or backed up a live broadcast for a moment, it freezes for a second like a badly scratched up DVD being played in a DVD player.

6. tuner assigned to a TV doesn't turn off after someone turned off the TV and had it off for hours (example, if the TV hooked up on a Joey labeled "Bedroom 2" on the TV Activity menu, if it's off, then the tuner needs to be free if TV's been off for more then a few minutes.), it's possible the tuner could need to be turned off by someone when they are done with TV, and the Joey may have a setting set up for auto turn off after a x amount of time and said joey hasn't gotten to that time yet.

7. freezes up like it's paused when you are trying to back up a show from the start (or the point of being tuned in on the Hopper/Joey/Super Joey) on either a live programming or a DVRed recording.

that's all the known issues me and my household had been dealing with since we went with the Hopper/2 Joeys/Super Hopper setup.

anyone else having all of the issues i have listed on this posting. if so, i think we should just go back to the 2 722ks

Seems you need a well trained and patient tech to come out, diagnose and fix whatever is going on. These are finicky systems and if every component is not in working order nothing works right.

From your post it sounds like you do have a signal issue as 1 of the problems. Could be lnb, node, integrator, dish out of alignment, fitting, etc, etc....

Hopefully Dirt will see this and get a service call scheduled for you.

Hello. We are sorry to hear that you're having these technical issues. Have you tried to reset the Hopper by unplugging from the power outlet for at last 10-15 seconds? Also, is the Hopper plugged into a power strip or directly to the wall outlet? Please send us a private message with your phone number and 4 digit PIN.

Reactions: stardust3
Here is a typical wiring diagram for a setup like yours. Wouldn't hurt to have while tech is there and walk you through it. Many times 2 heads are better than 1.

I try to keep the # of components to a min in a system=less problems. The diagram pictured is typical, however I would eliminate the tap and exchange the 2 way splitter for a 3 way.

Wiring Diagram.JPG

Huh? The 3 way splitter will still provide the sat signal full spectrum? Then why ever have a tap?

The tap can be useful but imo is the lazy mans way out. Splitter is moca only.

Edit:

Many installers will install the node at the dish to keep from running a 2nd line or 3rd, then use a tap in the house.

Reactions: Troch77
The Hopper will work with moca only? I thought it had to have a "pure" satellite signal? Sorry to belabor it, but I THOUGHT I understood Hopper wiring.

The tap acts as a mini node, yes you still need a line to the server side/satellite. The client side of the node goes to a 3way splitter. The client side of integrator for SJ ties into 3 way splitter. The server side/satellite of the integrator is a direct sat feed for the SJ.

So the 3 way splitter from the client side of node ties in 2 joeys & the client side from integrator eliminating the tap.

Update on the issues, so the person in my household called Dish the other day, and one story short, Dish sent a Guy out here earlier this afternoon to fix it, he discovered the eye was bad and replaced it with a new one and he also replaced the dish to one of the new black ones with the red Dish logo with the word HD in white. Also he put in a new Node and a new spliter thing in there. The Hopper in question didn't get replaced and now we have it hooked up to the internet temporary to see if Dish will diagnose if there's a problem with it. So far, so good. Now i'm just waiting to see if anything will gone wrong.

The tap can be useful but imo is the lazy mans way out. Splitter is moca only.

Edit:

Many installers will install the node at the dish to keep from running a 2nd line or 3rd, then use a tap in the house.
Agree , I took off my tap, and ran a new line , something the lazy Tech should have done.
I eliminated a lot of issues because of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts