Dish Hopper Pricing Rumors Thread

There's a reason why I named this thread the Hopper "pricing rumors" thread and not the Hopper "pricing is official" thread. I do believe that Dish meant to release the newest DHA agreement on purpose as they have always posted their current agreements on their website for the public to view. However this new agreement should be interpreted is still up for some speculation. But here is what we should know for sure:

1. There will be a $4 Whole-House DVR fee on top of the $6 DVR fee for a total of $10/month

2. At least the additional Hoppers and joeys will be $7/month. Whether it's $7/month each or $7/month for ONE hopper/joey pair is still up for debate.

3. The upgrade pricing I said in my OP should be for at least new customers. Whether it will also apply to existing customers is also still up for debate.

I'm sure we'll continue to find out more info in the coming weeks and I am able to find anything more concrete on pricing, rest assured, you guys will be the 1st to know.:)

$10 Hopper Fee for first Hopper ($6+$4) = Not bad if you don't have to get a Joey if the Joey costs $7 on the first Hopper.

$7 Second Hopper Fee = No bad particularly if you go with two Hoppers without any Joeys for a total of six tuners on two televisions.

$10 First Hopper + $7 First Joey = $17 = Not Good as we end up paying $4 + $7 = $11 more. This gains you the third tuner and the second tv has HD. Might as well have 722 and 612 which gives you four tuners for around the same price as three with the Hopper.

First of all, from what I remember from DISH history, the first receiver on your account is always FREE ,because the price of the receiver is already worked into the basic programming packs. So like $9.00 of your programming pack is for the receiver. Second of all , from what I can see from the Digital Home Advantage plan , the Hopper 2000 and Joey 1.0 are listed under ADDITIONAL RECEIVER FEE. Doesn't say the first or only hopper , it says ADDITIONAL RECEIVER FEE. They also say EACH in front of the Hopper 2000 & Joey 1.0 and the fee amount is $7.00. They also mention under RECEIVERS definitions that the Hopper 2000 and Joey 1.0 EACH connect to 1 tv. So the only question is again , are the 1st Hopper and the 1st Joey considered as one unit and part of the free basic receiver equation? But we can tell that the additional receiver fee is $7.00 for EACH Hopper and each Joey 1.0.

So if the first Joey is NOT part of the free 1st receiver on your account , we are looking at $7.00 . If you have two Joey's on your account - $14.00. So If I wanted two Hoppers and one joey , I'm looking at $14.00 and a $10.00 dvr/multi view FEE = $24.00 a month to do what I can do now for $20.00.

If the first Joey is part of the Free 1st receiver on your account I would only be looking at $17.00.

I am hoping that the first Joey is part of the free 1st receiver ,but I doubt it. If I want to upgrade to this system I would have to cut my programming by $4.00 to make up the difference. So I would have to down grade to top 120 and not top 120 plus , in order to make up the difference.

Last edited:
Yes, it does:

Additional Receiver Fee
Each Solo receiver $7.00/mo.
Each Hopper 2000 and Joey 1.0 $7.00/mo.

Now, the question at hand is the wording above this table doesn't specify whether a h/j pair is considered the "first" receiver, or just the hopper. That is why there is still a question on the first joey being free or not. A single hopper is definitely free.

But then again the line above could also mean that each hopper and joey combo would be a $7 fee. Now I really doubt that this would be the case but in looking at the fees in the DHA there is no mention whatsoever of joey only and a fee. The only place a joey is mentioned is Hopper and Joey $7. As stated in the DHA line this would mean the fee is $7 for a hopper joey pair. Seems quite unlikely as from there we could extrapolate that there is no fee for additional joeys. Guess point I'm really trying to make is until this is all official Dish has made their statement and the products are shipping, it's all a guess.

So If I wanted two Hoppers and one joey , I'm looking at $14.00 and a $10.00 dvr/multi view FEE = $24.00 a month to do what I can do now for $20.00. ..... If I want to upgrade to this system I would have to cut my programming by $4.00 to make up the difference.

Not exactly, because for $20 you can't share recordings with the whole house - and coincidentally that Whole Home DVR fee is - $4. Almost like they thought that out isn't it?

Not exactly, because for $20 you can't share recordings with the whole house - and coincidentally that Whole Home DVR fee is - $4. Almost like they thought that out isn't it?

If you mean they made it more expensive than current systems? YES. It looks like DISH found a way to make it a must have ,that will be a must pay to get .

First it was the technical specs and now it's the pricing docs that are clear as mud. Why do I have this image of Dish documentation folks reading these Hopper threads and having a huge laugh at our expense??

Looks like the Hopper and Joey is counted as one and is the first free receiver the extra cost will be the $4 whole house DVR, after all the Joey in not a receiver just an extension of the hopper, just like a Duo DVR has a second TV but is only considered one receiver, all the Joey does is making the 2nd TV HD capable. I just wonder how much the upgrade will cost and if a technician will be needed to upgrade from a Duo 722K.

OK I'll accept that answer, but how do they expect to acquire new customers based on documents that are publicly listed that may or not be true? Given the fact there is NO buyers remorse time frame a person would tend to believe what a company actually posted on their website?.?.? Wonder how many folks would sign up based on those facts?

Do you seriously believe that the average customer looks at those documents? I don't even look at those. I don't belive anything unless I get documentation from Dish, hear it on the retailer chat or hear it from Scott. Hell, even then Dish changes their minds.

Do you seriously believe that the average customer looks at those documents? I don't even look at those. I don't belive anything unless I get documentation from Dish, hear it on the retailer chat or hear it from Scott. Hell, even then Dish changes their minds.

Point taken. I also assume based on posts here the docs that came from dish contain mostly inaccurate info, I understand now. How could I let myself be so misled, from now on I'll let the experts here handle and interpret the dish lingo.

Hey, for all I know the information is correct. I'm just not believing it until the product is released and I see documents on pricing in front of me. I'm just telling people to not get too excited by what they're reading now because it could change.

Hey, for all I know the information is correct. I'm just not believing it until the product is released and I see documents on pricing in front of me. I'm just telling people to not get too excited by what they're reading now because it could change.
Everything is subject to change until you see it yourself with your own eyes. :D

I read it as;
Hopper - $4 whole house fee, $10 DVR fee = $14 (first receiver free no $7 charge)
Hopper and Joey add $7, total, $21, two Joeys, $28.

Two Hoppers, no Joey, same as adding a Joey. I do not read it as a Joey is considered part of it for pricing. One Joey costs $7. If I am right, pricing is not out of the question. If I am wrong, pricing is better than I would have thought.

If a second Hopper is the same price as a Joey you might as well get a second Hopper instead of a Joey. That way you will have 6 tuners and also a backup if one of the Hoppers fail.

If a second Hopper is the same price as a Joey you might as well get a second Hopper instead of a Joey. That way you will have 6 tuners and also a backup if one of the Hoppers fail.

I'm sure they will have some sort of threshold for the second hopper. Either additional up front fees (most likely) or some sort hopper/joey ratio.

I wouldn't hesitate on a second hopper at $99 up front. $199 I'd have to think about it. $299 and I'll make do with one. Naturaly it would all factor into the D*/E* decision as well.

From what I've been seeing it looks like Dish is still going to limit customers to 6 total tuners. The max a customer can lease is two Hoppers with four Joeys. This of course is still speculation but it fits in with Dish's current rules.

I'm thinking a second Hopper will cost $199 and would be pleasantly surprised if it was $99.

"From what I've been seeing it looks like Dish is still going to limit customers to 6 total tuners. The max a customer can lease is two Hoppers with four Joeys"

What I meant was if two hoppers that would be the Dish "rule" of six tuners, but with OTA it would actually be 8. I didn't mean each OTA tuner would be dual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)