Dish Hopper Pricing Rumors Thread

If we're able to put a OTA tuner on each Hopper then that would make 8. Sounds like a butt load of recording to me. I like it.

my pricing speculation ; marginally higher then current hardware fees for new and current customers and considerably higher upgrade fees for current customers...i would assume they wouldnt want to compete against themselfs for current vip customers

my pricing speculation ; marginally higher then current hardware fees for new and current customers and considerably higher upgrade fees for current customers...i would assume they wouldnt want to compete against themselfs for current vip customers
From Dish's perspective, don't underestimate the attractiveness of the two-year commitment that will most likely be required for existing customers to upgrade....

From Dish's perspective, don't underestimate the attractiveness of the two-year commitment that will most likely be required for existing customers to upgrade....
Right. I think I've seen the following on several offers on both Dish and Verizon Wireless "For new customers or existing customers with a new two year commitment." Which is also why you can't get continual upgrade deals. Each one cancels your current commitment and replaces it with a new one. So if you have 22 months remaining on your last upgrade a new one only buys them two more months.

Good point ! but i would also think they recently snagged most of the exsisting HD customers with the free HD for life commitment.

Good point ! but i would also think they recently snagged most of the exsisting HD customers with the free HD for life commitment.

HD for life was introduced around jun/july 2010. Most folks that "upgraded" probably did so within the first 6 months or so of the offer while the buzz was high, so are already into the second year. If they can extend that by at least an additional year, and on average get at least an additional $4 a month then they'll get a pretty good return.

Also remember Dish has a need for any returned VIP equipment, it can be refurb'ed and go back out to "economy" non-hopper installs and they have the continuing WA conversion.

Im hoping first hopper + joey are free and then the next hoppers or joeys $7 like I thought I saw in an earlier post

My bill would go up only $4 (whole home dvr fee) with those prices...of course all this with a 2 year agreement

This is my dish bill:

Monthly Charges
America's Top 250 69.99
HD Solo DVR Receiver 10.00
HD 250 10.00
Movie Pass 10.00
DVR Service 6.00
Protection Plan 6.00

For my house I would need 1 hopper and 2 Joeys. So would my bill go down? That would be $17 a month for everything. Do they still require that Protection Plan?

Last edited:
We have no idea if your bill will go down since we do not know pricing for the Hopper yet. You are not required to keep the protection plan but if you are thinking of upgrading I would keep it for a bit.

We have no idea if your bill will go down since we do not know pricing for the Hopper yet. You are not required to keep the protection plan but if you are thinking of upgrading I would keep it for a bit.

I thought the protection plan is required if you don't outright buy your equipment.

gdodd12 said:
I thought the protection plan is required if you don't outright buy your equipment.

No. You are not required to keep it. It may be required to avoid an installation fee, like on the 922s. Even then can be dropped after equipment is activated.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

This is my dish bill:

Monthly Charges
America's Top 250 69.99
HD Solo DVR Receiver 10.00
HD 250 10.00
Movie Pass 10.00
DVR Service 6.00
Protection Plan 6.00

For my house I would need 1 hopper and 2 Joeys. So would my bill go down? That would be $17 a month for everything. Do they still require that Protection Plan?

Looks like you're not getting HD free for life as well. Any reason why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)